raga+

  • slbush@beast.amd.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003

      I've got a two hour-long DJ spot on a local radio station coming up in a few weeks. Rather than mining my existing record collection, I'd like to use this as a springboard to learn about something new. I want to play a few classical raga, then transition into more popular, current stuff that employs (subverts, upends, etc) this form. Any suggestions? I'm particularly interested in hip-hop, Bollywood, etc. but am woefully ignorant, and open to any and all suggestions. I know there's a lot of this stuff out there, but haven't, until now, had the impetus to explore in depth.

      I'd love it if song suggestions were married to strong albums, so that I could begin to build a good personal collection in the process

      Thanking you in advance,
      Stephanie
    • jamello@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        I probably know a lot less about that stuff than you do, however there are
        some enjoyable bits on the recent Terry Hall & Mushtaq CD "The Hours of Two
        Lights," the Greensleeves "Bollywood" rhythm album (#30), DJ Cheb i Sabbah
        "Krishna Lia" and the whole Bug/Soundmurderer/Wasteland/Scud/I-Sound axis of evil.

        If you live in the NY area, swing by Other Music and get a cool CD-R called
        "Bidoun" by DJ Muttamassik (the DJ with Burnt Sugar). The sleeve describes it
        as "...Sa'aidi Hardcore & Baladi Breakbeats: Egyptian & Afro-oriental Roots
        mixed with the head-nod of hip-hop and syncopation of hardstep." Sounds right
        up your alley.

        Jack