Re: other great lost albums

  • Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
      > Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:55:07 +1000
      > From: PhilT <nns@...>
      >Subject: Re: other great lost albums
      >
      > > The crucial unreissued masterpiece(s) for me are the entire output of the
      > > awesome Homosexuals, an extraordinary outfit from the late '70s/early
      >'80s.
      > > The badly compiled Recommended LP is still awesome in itself -
      >particularly
      > > Side 1, however I gather it's unlikely to be reissued due to most of the
      > > band resenting the 1st issue of it against their wishes.
      >
      >last i heard, the guy at acute records (who released the theoretical girls
      >comp last/this year) is trying to get a proper comp underway and is speaking
      >to the main players with some success...
      >
      >http://www.geocities.com/danselzer/introduction.html

      Yep, Dan Selzer (who deserves a Noble or Pulitzer or some such equivalent)
      has been trying to work on that for a while but has sadly gotten nothing
      but resistance from the band itself. I've heard rumors that might be
      changing though so we'll see...

      Best,
      Jason
    • Stevo
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@u...> wrote:

        > Hampton Grease Band - LP,

        This was at least released as a 2cd thingy cos I've got it.
        Music to EAt?
        Had a very nasty review in Forcedexposure which would put it around
        1993.
        Its pretty cool if you like long Zappaesque guitar stuff with a
        looper making up lyrics over it.
        The negative review came as a reaction to the press release which was
        claiming it to be massively influential on a lot of things it didn't
        really seem to be./

        Amazon has it listed here.
        http://makeashorterlink.com/?J26623816

        Stevo
        Np Jega Jazzist Doppelganger
      • michael j
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2003
          "Aloha" has been reissued with other material...I believe "Marrying
          For Money" was reissued a while back as "REmarrying for money"
          Eugene Chadbourne's Parachute label put out some good improv records
          in the early 80's...I have a great Transmuseq disc from 1980
          called "Direct Waves"...what about the Anthony Braxton LPs on
          Arista ? I haven't seen many of those and they are essential in my
          opinion...Sackville Records out of Toronto had some great titles by
          Braxton, Mitchell and others including solo albums (w/overdubs) by
          George Lewis & JUlius Hemphill...also a couple of oddities that
          attempt to merge classical avant-garde with improv : "Music Of Our
          Time" Bernstein conducting the NY Phil :Feldman,Ligeti, Larry Austin
          (with Barre Phillips as a soloist) and (teehee) improvisations by
          the orchestra-the liner notes admit they had predetermined cues from
          Lennie. This was on Columbia as was Lukas Foss' "Time Cycle" again
          w/ Bernstein conducting; each movement of the piece has interludes
          'improvised' by Foss' Improvisation Chamber Ensemble (I.C.E.?)-again
          it's not FREE improvisation and remains sounding quite serial
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@u...> wrote:

          > > Henry Kaiser "It's a Wonderful Life" (Metalanguage): One of my
          favorites
          > > from him but hardly ever mentioned anymore.
          >
          > Are any Metalanguage titles available??
          >
          > These are also long term inmates on my wants list....
          > Jim French - "If Looks Could Kill" LP ( Metalanguage)
          > Henry Kaiser - "Marrying For Money", "It's A Wonderful
          Life", "Social Set",
          > "Improvised" (w/ John Oswald) LPs, "Aloha" DLP (Metalanguage)
          >

          > Charlie
        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 7, 2003
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "michael j" <emptyj4@h...> wrote:
            what about the Anthony Braxton LPs on
            > Arista ? I haven't seen many of those and they are essential in my
            > opinion...Sackville Records out of Toronto had some great titles by
            > Braxton,

            REminds me, I was looking up the Town Hall'72 cd on Google after
            having lost my copy several years back.
            What I found didn't seem to have the same tracklisting as the copy
            of the cd I used to have, which had A Jerome Kern song on and came
            with a free mini poster from the gig.
            Was there a cd from the early 90s that added material that wasn't on
            the original lp or something?
            Stevo