Re: [thewire] other great lost albums

  • John Farrar
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
      The Sewer Zombies

      John F.
    • Perfect Sound Forever
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
        > Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:55:07 +1000
        > From: PhilT <nns@...>
        >Subject: Re: other great lost albums
        >
        > > The crucial unreissued masterpiece(s) for me are the entire output of the
        > > awesome Homosexuals, an extraordinary outfit from the late '70s/early
        >'80s.
        > > The badly compiled Recommended LP is still awesome in itself -
        >particularly
        > > Side 1, however I gather it's unlikely to be reissued due to most of the
        > > band resenting the 1st issue of it against their wishes.
        >
        >last i heard, the guy at acute records (who released the theoretical girls
        >comp last/this year) is trying to get a proper comp underway and is speaking
        >to the main players with some success...
        >
        >http://www.geocities.com/danselzer/introduction.html

        Yep, Dan Selzer (who deserves a Noble or Pulitzer or some such equivalent)
        has been trying to work on that for a while but has sadly gotten nothing
        but resistance from the band itself. I've heard rumors that might be
        changing though so we'll see...

        Best,
        Jason
      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 3, 2003
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@u...> wrote:

          > Hampton Grease Band - LP,

          This was at least released as a 2cd thingy cos I've got it.
          Music to EAt?
          Had a very nasty review in Forcedexposure which would put it around
          1993.
          Its pretty cool if you like long Zappaesque guitar stuff with a
          looper making up lyrics over it.
          The negative review came as a reaction to the press release which was
          claiming it to be massively influential on a lot of things it didn't
          really seem to be./

          Amazon has it listed here.
          http://makeashorterlink.com/?J26623816

          Stevo
          Np Jega Jazzist Doppelganger
        • michael j
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2003
            "Aloha" has been reissued with other material...I believe "Marrying
            For Money" was reissued a while back as "REmarrying for money"
            Eugene Chadbourne's Parachute label put out some good improv records
            in the early 80's...I have a great Transmuseq disc from 1980
            called "Direct Waves"...what about the Anthony Braxton LPs on
            Arista ? I haven't seen many of those and they are essential in my
            opinion...Sackville Records out of Toronto had some great titles by
            Braxton, Mitchell and others including solo albums (w/overdubs) by
            George Lewis & JUlius Hemphill...also a couple of oddities that
            attempt to merge classical avant-garde with improv : "Music Of Our
            Time" Bernstein conducting the NY Phil :Feldman,Ligeti, Larry Austin
            (with Barre Phillips as a soloist) and (teehee) improvisations by
            the orchestra-the liner notes admit they had predetermined cues from
            Lennie. This was on Columbia as was Lukas Foss' "Time Cycle" again
            w/ Bernstein conducting; each movement of the piece has interludes
            'improvised' by Foss' Improvisation Chamber Ensemble (I.C.E.?)-again
            it's not FREE improvisation and remains sounding quite serial
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@u...> wrote:

            > > Henry Kaiser "It's a Wonderful Life" (Metalanguage): One of my
            favorites
            > > from him but hardly ever mentioned anymore.
            >
            > Are any Metalanguage titles available??
            >
            > These are also long term inmates on my wants list....
            > Jim French - "If Looks Could Kill" LP ( Metalanguage)
            > Henry Kaiser - "Marrying For Money", "It's A Wonderful
            Life", "Social Set",
            > "Improvised" (w/ John Oswald) LPs, "Aloha" DLP (Metalanguage)
            >

            > Charlie
          • Stevo
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 7, 2003
              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "michael j" <emptyj4@h...> wrote:
              what about the Anthony Braxton LPs on
              > Arista ? I haven't seen many of those and they are essential in my
              > opinion...Sackville Records out of Toronto had some great titles by
              > Braxton,

              REminds me, I was looking up the Town Hall'72 cd on Google after
              having lost my copy several years back.
              What I found didn't seem to have the same tracklisting as the copy
              of the cd I used to have, which had A Jerome Kern song on and came
              with a free mini poster from the gig.
              Was there a cd from the early 90s that added material that wasn't on
              the original lp or something?
              Stevo