WRECK: Samplophilia & brain farts

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 231: Samplophilia & brain farts

      Maandag, 8 September 2003 (17.00 to 19.00)

      SIMUL-streaming <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "brain fart"
      o General Anthony Zinni's description
      of George W. Bush's foreign policy and war in Iraq
      [courtesy of Julie Phillips]

      o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*

      Sea Spirits > Kristi Allik [1]
      Top / Autumn > Bran Flakes [2]
      Star Spangled Banner > Culturcide [3]
      The Liberation of Europe > Thomas Gerwin [1]
      Post-Colonial > Scott Marshall [4]
      Étude Rostock > Paul Clouvel [1]
      Lying in Texas > Steve Fisk [5]
      Reverberance > Mark Hannesson [1]
      Hairpiece > Irvine & Vernon [1]
      Cops vs the Guardian Angels > Shockabilly [6]
      Play "Physical Remix" > Diskono [7]
      Sidekick > Books on Tape [8]
      With His Feet > The Assholes [9]
      Numbers > Public Works [10]
      There's A Reason You All Speak American & We Don't Speak Any of Yr
      Silly Languages > Diskono [7]
      Bounces > Bran Flakes [2]
      Hungry for Affection > The Assholes [9]
      Essence > Michael Vincent [1]
      Hillbilly Hippy > ? [11]
      Omaggio > Richard Trythell [12]
      1,2,3 Kick > Xavier Cugat [12]
      Numbers > Public Works [10]
      + The Film > Black Sifichi [13]
      Ring of Fire > Johnny Cash [14]
      Time of Our Lives > Scott Marshall [4]
      Gauntanemerika > Flippin Nazis [15]
      My Revolution > Krackhouse [15]
      Not Feeling Very Well in the Morning > Diskono [7]
      + Sex uit 't Vuistje > Max Tailleur
      Dot Dash > Wire [16]
      2Heaven2 > Laurent Pernice [17]
      Darla Orthopedik > Karl Biscuit
      Remoting > Phillip Perkins
      Mystery Tapes > John Oswald
      Larceny > Lovecraft Technologies [18]
      Bundy's Dead & He Ain't Gonna Kill Again > b/art [19]
      Garbagman > Cramps [20]
      A New York Minute > Alan Licht [21]
      Another Summer > Scott Marshall [4]

      o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*

      This was a show dedicated to manic sampling as a comment on today's
      devolutionary spiral into the trivial addiction of shopping,
      consuming, and passive viewing. With respect for those I did not get
      to or forgot to bring along: Negativland, Chris Burke, and the Tape
      Beatles.

      [1] "DISContact! III" on Canadian Electroacoustic Commmunity
      <www.econtact.ca> is one of many organizations dedicated to the
      promotion of new music be it Canadian or from Antarctica. From
      intense political sample-deconstructions to the sound of someone
      scratching a wart with a toothless comb. All is potential intriguing
      sound here.

      [2] "Bounces!" on Happity <www.happitymerecrods.com> with keyboards
      by R. Stevie Moore!! "Do you want your son enticed into the world of
      homosexuals or your daughter lured into lesbianismŠ" / "what you get
      in a hi-fi set can best be described as presence, a feeling of lifeŠ"
      Pillaging is great fun.

      [3] Earnest and transcendently trenchant pre-karaoke
      sample-deconstructions of all the hypocrisies that capitalism and
      [US] democracy engage in.

      [4] "Black / White CD" on Paniculture
      <www.subliminal.org/paniculture> is a great example of that retro
      mid-80s feel of sampling euphoria where insanity was rendered logical
      through plundering. He also goes contemplative and finds some respite
      from the insane world around him with some wonderful ambiences
      inspired by upstate NY. In fact, I often feel like I'm camping again
      with my parents up near Blue Mountain Lake when I was a pimply teen -
      that dreamy state where you have no commitments, no agenda, no
      worries [except wet dreams]Š

      [5] "Beyond the Ambient Parameters" is an old July 1994 WTM show tape
      from WFMU.

      [6] "Shockabilly Live: Just Beautiful" on Shimmy Disc Europe. The
      great healing plundering renovators of our collective pop unconscious
      are back to rip apart our mental attics. Lefty Chadbourne is like
      some Michael Moore character slaying dragons with his axe.

      [7] I can't locate the disc in my less than perfect filing system but
      I can say that Diskono make the Residents sound like Men II Boys Š

      [8] "Books on Tapes Sings the Blues" on No Type <www.notype.com>.
      Excellent Canadian label produces heads-on electronic material that
      deals not only with its own rarefied world but also engages its
      surroundings and so I really wanted to like this sexy package of punk
      meets techno-turntablism. But thus far I find myself on the outside
      trying to figure out whether the unease I feel with how the sounds
      and beats don't match is supposed to be some dissonant syncopation or
      its just doesn't jive. High annoyance necessitates plenty of
      manifesto documentation justifying it all. Thus far too discursive
      and not enough of an integral organismŠ stay tuned. Can white guys
      dance? Wait now I hear pingpong casio beats that echo back to No Wave
      material in a lovingly herky jerky way. But then he seems to footnote
      arena rock type sounds almost a bit to uncomfortably lovinglyŠ hmm.

      [9] "Eat My Fuck" on Assholean Preservation Foundation. Brilliant
      Culturcide meets Mutiny on the Bounty. Retro punk stance behind state
      of the art samplers.

      [10] "Numbers" on Elevator Bath <www.elevatorbath.com/> High thievery
      with no remorse from this lesser Tape Beatles side project.

      [11] Oops, hmm brilliant moonshine addled hillbilly romp through decadence.

      [12] WTM January 1992 show tape. Ommagio is a wonderful
      deconstruction of JLL that really seemed on the edge of fascinating
      sound experiments then. It still does, since sound people are still
      replicating this style as new music now. Cugat is someone who used to
      appear on the Merv Griffin Show all the time as some kind of
      eccentric old fart with his chihuaha be-buxomed babe wife, Charo.
      There Cugat would be, 80 years old like some Dali character, stroking
      his lap poodle and allowing Charo to be her voluptuous and ridiculous
      self. I never knew that he was a famous composerŠ

      [13] Personal CDR from BS <http://www.blacksifichi.com>. The dynamic
      DJ spoken word performer from Paris fooling around with his lithe and
      sly ear close to the pulse of a dying culture.

      [14] One of his best songs ever. He is dead and to think it is
      rumored he also yodeled at one time - with Bob Dylan! I wanna hear
      it. Maybe just squeeze a frog and record what comes out.

      [15] "My Findings Show the Plantenga Name is Very Rare" on b/art
      <ninplant@...>. A 1988 WFMU compilation I put together as a
      premium for those listeners who pledged money to my showŠ In the
      later 1980's when it seemed like an entire subculture had totally
      broken away from the Ship of Fools/State.

      [16] Single. Still brilliant in their way of being pompous art
      rockers but ripping right through all pretension with some of the
      clearest hypocrisy-poison around. When old still sounds new, 25 years
      later you know you're on to something.

      [17] "Infrajazz" on Land <www.conapt-sounds.com> on this excellent
      French label we get to hear some very adventurous sounds and this is
      no exception. This is perniciously lovely ambient electro-jazz strung
      tight and visceral. From the ex-percussionist of the industrial
      pioneers Nox.

      [18] "Lovecraft Technologies" On LTC is a strange acoustic Thrill
      Kill Kult style flirtation with the devil at the entrance to the anal
      mall. They're there to lunch in their raggedy beloved old Alien Sex
      Fiend tee shirts with some reject Beachboys, Mephisto, and the
      offspring of Charles Manson who once gigged with the Cramps. Here
      they discuss TV as a drug and bad acid and abortions in Goa as
      releases from ennui. They also do some improv punk rapping about
      pussy. Yea.

      [19] "Radio Hypnosis in the US of A" on b/art <ninplant@...>. A
      compilation of my crude samplings-splicing compositions from 1990.

      o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*

      o Let us just say that the 45-minute issue is totally fabricated by
      whomever. But to say that lapdog Blair and lapdog Balkenende went
      along with it. Will they ever come forward to apologize to the human
      race. And will the Americans take back what they did to and said
      about the French when it becomes obvious they were right [DESPITE
      Chirac] as were the misgivings of most of the rest of the world.

      o that there were multiple Saddam doubles in triple triplicate
      roaming around Iraq and that Haider [fascist in a suit from Austria]
      was totally snowed when he had meetings with a fake Saddam. Now we
      learn that Saddam was just bluffing - the old beware of dog sign in
      the window. Does this not call into question the 11 years of work by
      the CIA and other intelligence agencies in this most totally
      blanketed area.

      o It is not so weird that the US government white supremacists outted
      a CIA agent [that is pretty close to a high crime under some kind of
      alien sedition act] in retribution for the mouthing-off of the US
      Ambassador to Niger over the stupid claims that Baghdad was buying
      enriched uranium. The question we should be asking as well is why
      does an ambassador have a CIA agent as a wife. Why would that not be
      seen as a dangerous conflict of someone's interests? Meaning it
      wouldn't be the first time that US ambassadors are accused of
      espionageŠ

      o US Admits it used Napalm Bombs in Iraq / By Andrew Buncombe / The
      Independent / 10 August 2003 [courtesy of DJ MANdl]: American pilots
      dropped the controversial incendiary agent napalm on Iraqi troops
      during the advance on Baghdad. The attacks caused massive fireballs
      that obliterated several Iraqi positions.

      The Pentagon denied using napalm at the time, but Marine pilots and
      their commanders have confirmed that they used an upgraded version of
      the weapon against dug-in positions. They said napalm, which has a
      distinctive smell, was used because of its psychological effect on an
      enemy. A 1980 UN convention banned the use against civilian targets
      of napalm, a terrifying mixture of jet fuel and polystyrene that
      sticks to skin as it burns. The US, which did not sign the treaty, is
      one of the few countries that makes use of the weapon. It was
      employed notoriously against both civilian and military targets in
      the Vietnam war. The upgraded weapon, which uses kerosene rather than
      petrol, was used in March and April, when dozens of napalm bombs were
      dropped near bridges over the Saddam Canal and the Tigris river,
      south of Baghdad.

      "We napalmed both those [bridge] approaches," said Colonel James
      Alles, commander of Marine Air Group 11. "Unfortunately there were
      people there ... you could see them in the [cockpit] video. They were
      Iraqi soldiers. It's no great way to die. The generals love napalm.
      It has a big psychological effect." A reporter from the Sydney
      Morning Herald who witnessed another napalm attack on 21 March on an
      Iraqi observation post at Safwan Hill, close to the Kuwaiti border,
      wrote the following day: "Safwan Hill went up in a huge fireball and
      the observation post was obliterated. 'I pity anyone who is in
      there,' a Marine sergeant said. 'We told them to surrender.'" At the
      time, the Pentagon insisted the report was untrue. "We completed
      destruction of our last batch of napalm on 4 April, 2001," it said.
      The revelation that napalm was used in the war against Iraq, while
      the Pentagon denied it, has outraged opponents of the war.

      "Most of the world understands that napalm and incendiaries are a
      horrible, horrible weapon," said Robert Musil, director of the
      organisation Physicians for Social Responsibility. "It takes up an
      awful lot of medical resources. It creates horrible wounds." Mr Musil
      said denial of its use "fits a pattern of deception [by the US
      administration]". The Pentagon said it had not tried to deceive. It
      drew a distinction between traditional napalm, first invented in
      1942, and the weapons dropped in Iraq, which it calls Mark 77
      firebombs. They weigh 510lbs, and consist of 44lbs of
      polystyrene-like gel and 63 gallons of jet fuel. Officials said that
      if journalists had asked about the firebombs their use would have
      been confirmed. A spokesman admitted they were "remarkably similar"
      to napalm but said they caused less environmental damage.

      But John Pike, director of the military studies group
      GlobalSecurity.Org, said: "You can call it something other than
      napalm but it is still napalm. It has been reformulated in the sense
      that they now use a different petroleum distillate, but that is it.
      The US is the only country that has used napalm for a long time. I am
      not aware of any other country that uses it." Marines returning from
      Iraq chose to call the firebombs "napalm". Mr Musil said the
      Pentagon's effort to draw a distinction between the weapons was
      outrageous. He said: "It's Orwellian. They do not want the public to
      know. It's a lie." In an interview with the San Diego Union-Tribune,
      Marine Corps Maj-Gen Jim Amos confirmed that napalm was used on
      several occasions in the war.

      o Sgt. Jamie A. Betancourt, from the Second Battalion, plans to get
      out when his enlistment is up in May for a simple reason. "There's
      nowhere else I can go in the Army," he said, "that's not going back
      over there." Others have no choice. In June, when the brigade's
      soldiers were living in steaming squalor at the Iraqi Interior
      Ministry, known among troops as Hotel Hell, Staff Sgt. Ray B.
      Robinson complained about staying on in Baghdad without a clear
      purpose. The brigade had turned over its responsibilities for
      security but remained in reserve, still vulnerable to attacks, but
      not aggressively pursuing the attackers. He compared the situation to
      the carnival game of shooting ducks. "I was the duck," he said.

      On July 8, his squad had been assigned to patrol Route 8, the highway
      to and from the airport west of Baghdad. He spotted an
      orange-and-white taxi across the highway and two Iraqis walking away
      from it. He lurched his Humvee to the left, drove onto the median
      strip and ran over a mine. The force of the blast blew him through
      the windshield. "Fox said I was dead," he said of initial television
      reports, but - he woke in the mine's crater, both his feet shattered,
      his legs torn by shrapnel, his face and arm scorched, his left
      eardrum broken. He has endured two operations and faces more. The
      doctors saved his feet, but he is not likely to walk normally again.
      After 16 years in the Army and the National Guard, his career is
      over. Sitting in a hospital bed installed in his house on a neat
      cul-de-sac here at Fort Stewart, with his wife and three children
      coming in and out, he remains strikingly unembittered. "The
      disappointment is over," he said. "I've just got to deal with what I
      got." [from the NY Times... courtesy of Black Sifichi]

      o Recent [non-front page] news reports that Hans Blix on Australian
      radio made it clear and has been doing so for some time, that Saddam
      Hussein pretty much destroyed Iraq's WMD shortly after the 1991
      invasion as Iraq has been claiming all along although he may have
      tried to indicate otherwise for the sake of trying to scare off an
      invasion. As Blix put it: you can hang up a 'beware of dog' sign
      without having a real dog.

      o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*o*

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon. To
      appear soon: excerpts from my scandal-delicious paris novel, PARIS
      SEX TETE, a review of the spoken word works of Roberto Valenza...