Great lost albums.

  • Stewart
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 29, 2003
      Between those here in this group, do we possess all of the 50 "lost
      albums" listed in the wire? I have the Richard Youngs and the Dead C.
    • Gino dal Soler
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 29, 2003
        Arthur Russell, La Monte Young, Tim Buckley, Michael Snow, Harry Bertoia,
        Alice Coltrane
        Gino from Bologna, Italy

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 29, 2003
          -
          I have the Ornette, M.I.C. and "News For Lulu." I didn't know Abner
          Jay actually released LPs; got to see him ca.'91 at a fest put on by
          the Shaking Ray Levis, ewhich is where the Braxton quote comes from.
          I bought a cassette from him; he had hundreds of them, all with
          different sequences of songs and hand-typed song-listing covers. He
          even played in the lobby throughout the festival.
          I grew up hearing "Starsailor," but it belongs to my father.
          The Noah Howard date sounds essential ! He was sorely overlooked like
          the late Frank Lowe.
          Michael in North Carolina, USA
          -- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Gino dal Soler" <rov6154@i...> wrote:
          > Arthur Russell, La Monte Young, Tim Buckley, Michael Snow, Harry
          Bertoia,
          > Alice Coltrane
          > Gino from Bologna, Italy

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Charlie M
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 29, 2003
            Vitamin B12 4LP box.

            This was a great idea for a regular feature rather than a one-off. I hope
            they consider it.
            It could act as a prompt for re-issuers to chase up licencing rights.
            Hope Henry Rollins gets his finger out with the Howard LP.

            Charlie.

            I have the Ornette, M.I.C. and "News For Lulu." I didn't know Abner
            Jay actually released LPs; got to see him ca.'91 at a fest put on by
            the Shaking Ray Levis, ewhich is where the Braxton quote comes from.
            I bought a cassette from him; he had hundreds of them, all with
            different sequences of songs and hand-typed song-listing covers. He
            even played in the lobby throughout the festival.
            I grew up hearing "Starsailor," but it belongs to my father.
            The Noah Howard date sounds essential ! He was sorely overlooked like
            the late Frank Lowe.
            Michael in North Carolina, USA
            -- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Gino dal Soler" <rov6154@i...> wrote:
            > Arthur Russell, La Monte Young, Tim Buckley, Michael Snow, Harry
            Bertoia,
            > Alice Coltrane
            > Gino from Bologna, Italy

          • Lang Thompson
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 29, 2003
              >Between those here in this group, do we possess all of the 50 "lost
              >albums" listed in the wire? I have the Richard Youngs and the Dead C.

              Tim Buckley, Demo Moe, Gary Kail/Zurich 1916, Music Improv Company (used to
              see this in used bins all the time), No New York, Zorn/Lewis/Frisell and
              I'm pretty sure the Ayler Last Album but my LPs are boxed up at the moment.
            • PhilT
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 29, 2003
                > Between those here in this group, do we possess all of the 50 "lost
                > albums" listed in the wire? I have the Richard Youngs and the Dead
                C.

                can someone post the list? i have yet to receive the new issue.
              • ninplant@xs4all.nl
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 30, 2003
                  wreck this mess votes for

                  "Rosa Yemen" by Lizzy Mercier Descloux on Ze, 1978. Sharp punk fun/k
                  on the edge of no wavery. laudanum laminated guitar strings and
                  poesie that sounds like deep sea Rimbaud ... from the
                  laziest-reclusive gal in show biz this side of greta garbo.

                  bart / wreck
                • soxepke
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 30, 2003
                    --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stewart" <zeropoint_uk@y...> wrote:
                    > Between those here in this group, do we possess all of the 50 "lost
                    > albums" listed in the wire?

                    I have the Terry Riley.
                  • jamello@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 30, 2003
                      In a message dated 9/30/2003 3:06:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      ninplant@... writes:
                      wreck this mess votes for

                      "Rosa Yemen" by Lizzy Mercier Descloux on Ze, 1978. Sharp punk fun/k
                      on the edge of no wavery. laudanum laminated guitar strings and
                      poesie that sounds like deep sea Rimbaud ... from the
                      laziest-reclusive gal in show biz this side of greta garbo.
                      I have Lizzy's "Press Color" album on Ze from 1979 and thought that was her
                      only LP. This you mention was earlier?

                    • ninplant@xs4all.nl
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 30, 2003
                        >I have Lizzy's "Press Color" album on Ze from 1979 and thought that was her
                        >only LP. This you mention was earlier?

                        Yes indeed it was - it's an EP actually. NO, she had a number of
                        other discs besides rosa yemen & press color:

                        * Mambo Nassau, 1981 Phillips France. Interesting.
                        * LIZZY MERCIER Descloux, CBS, 1984 is a highly recommended white gal
                        goes to africa and does it better than paul simon record.
                        * One For The Soul, 1986 Polydor France LP/CD. She did this album
                        with Chet Baker which was tenuously and charmingly affecting
                        actually. It was also his last recordings [or nearly so].
                        * SuspenSe, Polydor, 1988 is Not recommended. Awkward attempts at
                        ballads and her singing and scat swinging is kept in check by dumb
                        tunes.

                        bart / wreck
                      • jamello@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 30, 2003
                          Also wondering about Blurt...great singles, not sure if any of their albums
                          are great enough to be "great lost" but they sure seem to be lost, at least.

                        • Chris Whitehead
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 30, 2003
                            My favourite lost albums are a La Dusseldorf LP Called Viva and a Michael Gira LP called Drainland which I lent to my mate Mark Watson. Unfortunately he took an overdose and died, I never had the guts to ask his mum to give me my vinyl back. Now those are real lost albums!

                            Quippy

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 1, 2003
                              Blurt, aaaah. Great singles, never heard any albums. Great titles, too - "My
                              Mother was a Friend of an Enemy of the People", "The Fish Needs a Bike" etc.

                              Ted Milton re-emerged in London a few years back - I saw him at the Deptford
                              Albany with Charles Hayward, Steve Noble, Billy Jenkins et al. He also stole
                              the girlfriend of one of my friends, despite the fact that he (Milton, not
                              my friend) looked like he'd been sleeping in a hedge since Blurt vanished in
                              the early 80s. But that's another story...

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 1, 2003
                                --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie M" <charlie.m@u...> wrote:
                                > Hope Henry Rollins gets his finger out with the Howard LP.
                                >
                                > Charlie.

                                Has Rollins still got a reissue label going then?
                                I thought 2:13:61 had folded taking its catalogue with it.
                                and Infinite Zero was long goine too.
                                Shame since both labels put out some pretty cool stuff.
                                Still kicking myself for not getting the Iceberg Slim cd when I had
                                the chance.
                                Also reminded, is there a good live TRoublefunk cdout that's actually
                                banded for separate tracks? I think the INfinite Zero one wasn't.
                                and while thinking about Go-Go is there any way to get hold of
                                Osiris's War On THe Bullshit on cd?
                                Stevo
                              • Stevo
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 1, 2003
                                  --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Chris Whitehead <quippyuk@y...> wrote:
                                  and a Michael Gira LP called Drainland which

                                  Pretty tasty lp that anyway.
                                  It had a sister lp from Jarboe too.
                                  I haven't listened to Drainland in ages but I went through aq heavy
                                  bout of listening to the Dan marts collaboration What We Did at the
                                  start of the summer
                                  Stevo
                                • Charlie M
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 2, 2003
                                    > Has Rollins still got a reissue label going then?
                                    > I thought 2:13:61 had folded taking its catalogue with it.
                                    > and Infinite Zero was long goine too.

                                    Didn't know that - that might explain the non-appearance of the Norman
                                    Howard LP!

                                    > Also reminded, is there a good live TRoublefunk cdout that's actually
                                    > banded for separate tracks?

                                    I have some Troublefunk 12"s on my trade list if you're a vinyl person...

                                    Charlie.
                                  • luka zagoricnik
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 5, 2003
                                      Hello!

                                      Consernig Blurt and Ted Milton you should check odd album of Ted Milton w
                                      Loopspool released on austrian label (owned by Christof Kurzmann) Charhizma
                                      (www.charhizma.com), a mix of Ted's sax, poetry and electronics. Blurt were
                                      touring Europe two years ago (as a trio with Hayward on drums) and they
                                      played also in Hungary and Slovenia. I meet Milton in early morning and he
                                      was smelling like a barrell of strong liquid which he was non stop drinking
                                      also later on the stage (so the show was not something to remember ...)

                                      >From: "Steeples Paul (Mr PW)" <paul.steeples@...>
                                      >To: "'thewire@yahoogroups.com'" <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
                                      >Subject: RE: [thewire] Great lost albums.
                                      >Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:00:07 +0100
                                      >
                                      >Blurt, aaaah. Great singles, never heard any albums. Great titles, too -
                                      >"My
                                      >Mother was a Friend of an Enemy of the People", "The Fish Needs a Bike"
                                      >etc.
                                      >

                                      >Ted Milton re-emerged in London a few years back - I saw him at the
                                      >Deptford
                                      >Albany with Charles Hayward, Steve Noble, Billy Jenkins et al. He also
                                      >stole
                                      >the girlfriend of one of my friends, despite the fact that he (Milton, not
                                      >my friend) looked like he'd been sleeping in a hedge since Blurt vanished
                                      >in
                                      >the early 80s. But that's another story...

                                    • mugi turan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 6, 2003
                                        i feel lucky since i have three blurt albums on vinyl. "smoke time", "in
                                        berlin" and "blurt". they all are great enough, i think. the aesthetics of
                                        his album covers need to be mentioned, too.
                                        muge