johnny one note

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      Anyone hear the (purportedly) "holy grail-type" cdr boots of La
      Monte Young which are doing the rounds now? 4 cdr's for around $60,
      vol 1 (2cd) 1957-1966 and vol 2(2cd) 1968-1973. Is there anything on
      here that justifies his reputation? Only legit stuff I've heard (2nd
      dream, just stompin') leaves me scratchin' my head as to why he
      doesn't release nice versions of his other stuff if it's so good. Yes
      I know the Dream Syndicate stuff won't be released because he doesn't
      want to share credit with Conrad/Cale, but surely there must be other
      stuff. (I don't really care for an eight hour DVD of pianer ramblings
      either.)
    • kraig grady
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2003
        I think that possibly you might miss the great concentration that happens in this work. I have tried again and again
        to find a place where he "relaxes' his attention for a moment and it really never happens. He doesn't seem to go
        into the counterpuntal inventiveness of Riley and yes his stance in general can be hard to take, but i feel he is
        truly a gifted, highly inventive voice and quite enjoy his stuff,dispite himself. Conrad does nothing for me on the
        other hand. To turn up the volume on the harmonic series seem rather unimaginative. no real surprises

        gradyfinklemyer wrote:

        > La
        > Monte Young

        > (I don't really care for an eight hour DVD of pianer ramblings
        > either.)

        -- -Kraig Grady
        North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
        http://www.anaphoria.com
        The Wandering Medicine Show
        KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST