RE: Cover Acts

  • John Gibson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
      With regard to the ongoing grumblings about certain acts making the cover,
      particularly the ridiculous sniping about Yo La Tengo, I can only conclude
      that a great many Wire readers are incapable of experiencing emotions,
      particularly those relating to LOVE. Yes, that's right - LOVE. Songs about
      LOVE. The simple, but profound emotional tie to another with all the sweet,
      tender moments that brings. LOVE. Remember how to spell that, it might come
      in useful in future. And whilst I'm as partial to a bit of abstract,
      scrambled noise as anyone else, I feel it is important to include artists who
      engage the heart in a direct way, given this is an integral part of the human
      experience. For most of us anyway. Except certain people who dwell here,
      apparently.

      Oh no, now I've had to engage my emotions, better hide them away in future...

      This is precisely why I can barely be bothered with this list any more.

      www.groovesmag.com
    • kraig grady
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
        just cause certain people sing of love doesn't mean they are sincere

        John Gibson wrote:

        > With regard to the ongoing grumblings about certain acts making the cover,
        > particularly the ridiculous sniping about Yo La Tengo, I can only conclude
        > that a great many Wire readers are incapable of experiencing emotions,
        > particularly those relating to LOVE. Yes, that's right - LOVE. Songs about
        > LOVE. The simple, but profound emotional tie to another with all the sweet,
        > tender moments that brings. LOVE. Remember how to spell that, it might come
        > in useful in future. And whilst I'm as partial to a bit of abstract,
        > scrambled noise as anyone else, I feel it is important to include artists who
        > engage the heart in a direct way, given this is an integral part of the human
        > experience. For most of us anyway. Except certain people who dwell here,
        > apparently.
        >
        > Oh no, now I've had to engage my emotions, better hide them away in future...
        >
        > This is precisely why I can barely be bothered with this list any more.
        >
        > www.groovesmag.com

        -- -Kraig Grady
        North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
        http://www.anaphoria.com
        The Wandering Medicine Show
        KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
      • stuff1424@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
          No one's saying Yo La Tengo aren't three middle aged sex Gods- just that
          their music is pants, you know like Y fronts. So are you saying the Wire should
          get with the times and be a bit more Loaded stylee? Kagel article here, page 3
          model, Ron Geesin's toilet antics there, Primer: porn soundtracks, reveiw on
          the latest Reynols recording the shuffles of bikini-clad women. I LOVE Tod
          Dockstader's Apocalypse and Quatermass. I LOVE Minnie Riperton, Betty Davis etc. I
          LOVE music. Sounds a bit Smash-Hits... I think there should be more HATE and
          DEATH in the Wire actually. Where is Discordance Axis, Emperor ('Prometheus' IS
          profoundly emotional), Neurosis, Boris?? I LOVE that stuff.

          Rich