Re: [thewire] Re: new issue

  • Rioual Jc
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
      Michael Gira is not a clown.
      He made the most scaring music of the past 20 years.
      Listen to "World of Skin".

      I have nothing against technique (I love Fripp)
      but you can make art without technique too.

      Do you really prefer Ezra Pound to Jack Kerouac ?

      --- Damon Smith <damon@...> a
      écrit :
      ---------------------------------
      i agree. i do love reading about he pop artists
      personally, because i
      would never listen to matt herbert it is nice see what
      he has to say
      for himself (not much). however, there in lies the
      problem. most of
      these people put more into their outfits (or bunny
      suits) than their
      art. so they never have much to say about it and it
      gets tiresome. i
      mean that clown mikey gira can take the time to set up
      elaborate
      anonymous sex situations but not spend a little time
      learning basic
      guitar chords? if he is to busy to work on his art i
      am too busy to
      listen it.
      period.
      damon

      On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 02:34 PM, François
      Couture wrote:

      >> From: "jon attwood" <jon@...>
      >
      >> what makes someone a 'serious' artist rather than a
      'pop musician' or
      >> 'rock
      >> star'?
      >
      > Basically, composure. The way they act, talk in
      public, the way they
      > perceive themselves and carry that perception over
      to the masses.
      > 'Seriousness' is not a quality found in the music.
      You can find
      > something
      > like John Oswald's plunderphonics, or Tape Beatles,
      or Frank Zappa, or
      > 60-minute lo-fi drone, or the Fox TV show Banzai
      serious, brilliant or
      > stupid, it matters only to your taste.
      Hearing/reading about how the
      > artist
      > perceives his own work or explains it gives it depth
      -- or on the
      > contrary
      > can reveal how shallow and actually stupid it is
      (why do I think of
      > Weird Al
      > Yankovic right now? And I used to like the guy).
      >
      >> why do some seemingly similar sounding artists get
      taken more
      >> seriously than others?
      >
      > Marketing, image-builders, trend-mongers, music
      journalists.

      > My two cents,
      >
      > Francois Couture
      > Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici),
      translator, proofreader.

      http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
      http://www.allmusic.com

      > ---------------------~-->
      > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP,
      Epson, Canon or Lexmark
      > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or
      more to the US &
      > Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/nnJolB/TM

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Terms of Service.

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 2, 2003
        >Do you really prefer Ezra Pound to Jack Kerouac ?

        Of course. Doesn't everyone?

      • Daniel DiMaggio
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 28, 2003
          Speaking of lame covers..

        • chux
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 29, 2003
            >Speaking of lame covers..

            I really like the latest cover. Personally, I'd like to see a guest
            designer do the cover each month. No more recognisably human shapes
            on the cover, just abstract things please.

            It would also be much better if it just said "THE WIRE" and nothing
            else. Well perhaps the occasional blasphemy just to attract
            attention... but not in the sense of having Matmos on the cover.

            chx
            --

            "Quantify quality,
            qualify quantity."

            [Portions of this message have
            been subliminally enhanced]

          • gradyfinklemyer
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 29, 2003
              I think they should start a "bearded or mustachioed women of rock"
              series. They already had Le Tigre, now they can have Patti Smith.
              Mebbe last months cover could count too.

              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel DiMaggio" <ddimaggi@p...>
              wrote:
              > Speaking of lame covers..

            • soxepke
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 30, 2003
                wrote:
                > Speaking of lame covers..

                I'm neither crazy about nor completely against the cover, but
                that "unraveling" type font is getting old REAL fast.