RE: [thewire] Re: elogy/eulogy and Matmos covers

  • Fred Epps
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi Grady, all,

      First time poster...

      I like Yo La Tengo. I like the Ex improv side projects but not their rock.
      I like what little I've heard of Kagel. I just bought a Tiechens CD based
      on a Wire review but I don't quite get it yet--still digging in. I've
      listened to Matmos and such in the past but there doesn't seem to be much
      new happening in 'electronica' right now.

      What I listen to is basically determined by what I read in Wire, and Signal
      to Noise. When I read a positive review or article, I go find a sample on
      the net of that music, and decide what I think. If I like it, I buy it,
      within the constraints of my budget.

      I like to go my musical edges. If I have a strong negative feeling about a
      kind of music, I try to keep listening to it until I find something I like.
      I figure if all those people like it, it must have something to offer.
      Sometimes that assumption is wrong, but not often. This makes exploring
      music exciting for me.

      I assumed that people like me are the audience that Wire has found. That's
      what the breadth of coverage would indicate. But maybe I was wrong... maybe
      everyone who reads it is just dipping in to find new music that is just
      like what they already listen to.

      Even if that is true, Wire thankfully still exists as a resource for those
      of us who listen to more or less everything.

      Regards,
      Fred Epps

      > Yo La Tengo is pretty useless, but I can see why they would put them
      > on the cover instead of Kagel, who was in the same issue. On the
      > other hand, if some indie schmoe picks up the Yo La Tengo issue, are
      > they really going to like the Kagel, Asmsus Tietchens, The Ex, etc
      > that was in that issue? I think the magazine has pretty much found
      > its audience, so they shouldn't be afraid of putting more obscure
      > artists on the cover. People who like the magazine are going to buy
      > it regardless of who's on the cover, and the few extra sales they may
      > get from a Yo La Tengo, Radiohead, Mercury Rev, or DJ Shadow cover
      > are probably not going to have first time buyers coming back for more
      > when they find out it isn't like Spin.
      >
      > wrote:
      > > re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the word "elogy"
      > > not -"eulogy".
      > >
      > > re: Matmos on the cover. What 5 covers are worthy in recent
      > months/years?
      > > and/or....what 5 artists should have made the cover? Then we can
      > get a
      > > better view of your taste. Realize that every musician that should
      > have made
      > > a Wire cover in your opinion is equally despised by some random
      > person on
      > > some random email list. Me? as someone else said, I don't think
      > anyone
      > > should get more than one cover-ever-. But thats just me.
      > >
      > > Peter
      > >
      > > np: Stan Kenton- New Concepts
      > >

      > > > Message: 1
      > > > Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:21:52 +1000
      > > > From: chux <chux_vom@o...>
      > > > Subject: Re: only 15

      > a 15 year

      > > > 15 is too young to die.
      > > >
      > > > chx
      > >

      > > Message: 2
      > > Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:05:23 -0000
      > > From: "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...>
      > > Subject: new issue
      > >
      > > I see that Matmos is on the cover. Couldn't they have just left
      > the
      > > cover blank, instead?
      > > I'm going to go stick a tape recorder in my toilet, then mix the
      > > some "electronica" in with the toilet concrete sounds. Maybe I'll
      > > throw in a phat beat or two. Can I be on the cover next?
      > >
      > > Oh what wonderful new clothes the emperor is wearing.

    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
        Oh darn, I missed that part. I did get to see my superfly heroine
        Missy E though. How can one person be so FINE and so talented? Damn,
        I missed Fifty Cent too. "fitty cent, fitty cent, anybody got fitty
        cent?" I heard the Derek Bailey collaboration with Metallica (the
        showstopper at the end) was really good too.

        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, jamello@a... wrote:
        > i actually took his comment to be more of a joke re: the
        > madonna-britney-christina three-way snog on last week's mtv awards
        show. now THAT would make a
        > fine wire cover...
        >

        > In a message dated 9/1/2003 6:36:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > gradyfinklemyer@y... writes:
        > What does that have to do with the music? Why is it that
        > some "queer" people have a need to shove their sexuality in other
        > people's faces? Is it reflective of the general trend in society
        now,
        > what with a new "gay" tv show popping up every other week?

      • michael j
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
          OK, so I understand that Christina Agueilera, Eve Libertine and
          Gilly Smyth are going to throwdown on the cover
          simultaneously 'blindfolded' by Francisco Lopez for a truly
          diaphonous jukebox, with a primer on "gradyfinklemyer" <Damn,
          >fitty
          > > fine wire cover...

          I'm running for editor !!!

          michael neverbeenonthecover jackson

          > > In a message dated 9/1/2003 6:36:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > > gradyfinklemyer@y... writes:
          > > What does that have to do with the music? Why is it that
          > > some "queer" people have a need to shove their sexuality in
          other
          > > people's faces? Is it reflective of the general trend in society
          > now,
          > > what with a new "gay" tv show popping up every other week?

        • marijne
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
            At 22:34 03-09-01 +0000, you wrote:
            > What does that have to do with the music? Why is it that
            >some "queer" people have a need to shove their sexuality in other
            >people's faces? Is it reflective of the general trend in society now,
            >what with a new "gay" tv show popping up every other week?

            try not to watch tv. it's devastating.

            marijne
          • Damon Smith
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
              On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 11:40 AM, Fred Epps wrote:

              > What I listen to is basically determined by what I read in Wire, and
              > Signal
              > to Noise.
              --speaking of this, what is really grating was having yo la tengo
              waste space in both the wire and stn recently.
              it is not that they bad or that one gets more pleasure listing to eddie
              prevost or kagel, it just that yo la tengo did not have anything very
              interesting to say. since we read the wire, and don't listen to it, it
              gets down to how much these people have worked out what they are
              doing, and what they have to say about it.
              unless of course they can talk about elaborate anonymous sex scenes.
              btw anyone even if they are micheal gira is a clown if they will not
              take the little time to learn about what they are doing.
              with so many great musicians making great music i don't have time to
              listen to, i am not going to waste my time with some jerk in his 40s
              who can't spend a few minutes on his craft. i am not asking virtuosity,
              i am asking for basic competence.
              as it is, i'll listen to the new fred frith/joëlle léandre/jonathan
              segal instead if i want to hear guitar.
              damon
            • Rioual Jc
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                I am not interested in listening to Fred Frith
                who can't spend some time in learning to sing.
                I am not asking for virtuosity but basic competence.

                > i am not going to waste my time with some jerk in
                >his 40s
                >who can't spend a few minutes on his craft. i am not
                >asking virtuosity,
                >i am asking for basic competence.
                >as it is, i'll listen to the new fred frith/joëlle
                >léandre/jonathan
                >segal instead if i want to hear guitar.
                >damon

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                Terms of Service.

              • chux
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                  Peter:
                  >re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the word "elogy"
                  >not -"eulogy".

                  You can can make it mean what you wish and will get no argument from me.

                  However, what does your dictionary say on the matter? Mine says
                  (selectively quoting), "4. A funeral oration."

                  chx
                  --

                  "Quantify quality,
                  qualify quantity."

                  [Portions of this message have
                  been subliminally enhanced]

                • gradyfinklemyer
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                    He can sing as well as Dr.Eno.

                    --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Rioual Jc <jcrioual2@y...> wrote:

                    > I am not interested in listening to Fred Frith
                    > who can't spend some time in learning to sing.
                    > I am not asking for virtuosity but basic competence.
                    >
                    > > i am not going to waste my time with some jerk in
                    > >his 40s
                    > >who can't spend a few minutes on his craft. i am not
                    > >asking virtuosity,
                    > >i am asking for basic competence.
                    > >as it is, i'll listen to the new fred frith/joëlle
                    > >léandre/jonathan
                    > >segal instead if i want to hear guitar.
                    > >damon
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                    > Terms of Service.

                  • François Couture
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 3, 2003
                      >> re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the word "elogy"
                      >> not -"eulogy".
                      >
                      > You can can make it mean what you wish and will get no argument from me.
                      >
                      > However, what does your dictionary say on the matter? Mine says
                      > (selectively quoting), "4. A funeral oration."

                      The guy is Portuguese, let's not forget that. My educated guess is that he
                      had a Portuguese word in mind that would be close to the French "eloge",
                      which means praise. And the French "eloge" and the English "eulogy"
                      intersect on one meaning, the "eloge funebre" or funeral eulogy. French and
                      Portuguese sharing Latin origins, I suspect that's what happened here. Of
                      course, I didn't lament his death but I did praise his playing and marvelled
                      at the fact that he is only 15 years old (since I'm the one who wrote
                      first).

                      Best

                      Francois Couture
                      Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici), translator, proofreader.
                      Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.

                      Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
                      Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com
                    • chux
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 3, 2003
                        Francois,

                        Sorry that my punning didn't have you in stitches. ;-)

                        It was a response to the recapitulation of the ageism implicit in
                        comments about the artist's age. What difference does it make (to
                        you) if an artist is 15 or 51? How much less (or more) do expect from
                        a 15 year-old?

                        Regards,

                        chx

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 4, 2003
                          > It was a response to the recapitulation of the ageism implicit in
                          > comments about the artist's age. What difference does it make (to
                          > you) if an artist is 15 or 51? How much less (or more) do expect from
                          > a 15 year-old?

                          Well, I don't know what other listers think (Damon?), but when it comes to
                          free improvisation, I think age does matter. Not to say that older
                          improvisers are better than younger, but there is surely something unusual
                          (to say the least!) in finding such acute listening, depth in playing and
                          involvement from a 15-year old like Guilherme Rodrigues.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 4, 2003
                            On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 05:28 AM, François Couture wrote:

                            > Well, I don't know what other listers think (Damon?), but when it
                            > comes to
                            > free improvisation, I think age does matter.

                            --i think the difference in improvisation is there are a ton of older
                            musicians still around who have been working hard and practicing daily
                            for 40-50 years like barre phillips, bill dixon, derek bailey or cecil
                            taylor, also somehow there are so many very creative virtuoso
                            improvisers it can be much harder at this point to find a non-virtuoso
                            approach that stumbles onto something new...
                            on the other hand as far as listening, there are some musicians i find
                            interesting at all stages in their careers such as brötzmann or kowald,
                            others like evan parker and barry guy i am more interested in their
                            current work.
                            guilherme seemed to be already be a fine cellist and an interesting
                            improviser, when i saw him and as i listen now to a great cd he is on
                            "assemblage".
                            there are also plenty of older musicians who stopped working on their
                            art and are no longer interesting, like charlie haden.
                            i got an amazing small book last night "antoni tápies at 80", you can
                            see allot of the works here:
                            http://www.waddington-galleries.com/ARTIST/TAPI/STAPI2.HTM
                            just like seeing cecil or (playing with him) you see how deeply
                            someone can get into their art over time, if they get the time.
                            damon smith
                            http://www.balancepointacoustics.com