Re: [thewire] Re: new issue

  • Damon Smith
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1 2:39 PM
      i agree. i do love reading about he pop artists personally, because i
      would never listen to matt herbert it is nice see what he has to say
      for himself (not much). however, there in lies the problem. most of
      these people put more into their outfits (or bunny suits) than their
      art. so they never have much to say about it and it gets tiresome. i
      mean that clown mikey gira can take the time to set up elaborate
      anonymous sex situations but not spend a little time learning basic
      guitar chords? if he is to busy to work on his art i am too busy to
      listen it.
      period.
      damon

      On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 02:34 PM, François Couture wrote:

      >> From: "jon attwood" <jon@...>
      >
      >> what makes someone a 'serious' artist rather than a 'pop musician' or
      >> 'rock
      >> star'?
      >
      > Basically, composure. The way they act, talk in public, the way they
      > perceive themselves and carry that perception over to the masses.
      > 'Seriousness' is not a quality found in the music. You can find
      > something
      > like John Oswald's plunderphonics, or Tape Beatles, or Frank Zappa, or
      > 60-minute lo-fi drone, or the Fox TV show Banzai serious, brilliant or
      > stupid, it matters only to your taste. Hearing/reading about how the
      > artist
      > perceives his own work or explains it gives it depth -- or on the
      > contrary
      > can reveal how shallow and actually stupid it is (why do I think of
      > Weird Al
      > Yankovic right now? And I used to like the guy).
      >
      >> why do some seemingly similar sounding artists get taken more
      >> seriously than others?
      >
      > Marketing, image-builders, trend-mongers, music journalists.
      >
      > My two cents,
      >
      > Francois Couture
      > Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici), translator, proofreader.
      > Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.
      >
      > Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
      > Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com

      > ---------------------~-->
      > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
      > Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/nnJolB/TM

    • Olivier Borzeix
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1 2:47 PM
        Yup!

        I've wondered about that either... and a common fact is that usually... artists comming from a more academic background are taken more seriously than some who are just selftaught or otherwise.

        I've especially noticed it in the beautiful world of electroacoustic music/composition.

        Olivier
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 2 1:52 AM
          Michael Gira is not a clown.
          He made the most scaring music of the past 20 years.
          Listen to "World of Skin".

          I have nothing against technique (I love Fripp)
          but you can make art without technique too.

          Do you really prefer Ezra Pound to Jack Kerouac ?

          --- Damon Smith <damon@...> a
          ---------------------------------

          Couture wrote:

          >> From: "jon attwood" <jon@...>
          >
          >> what makes someone a 'serious' artist rather than a
          'pop musician' or
          >> 'rock
          >> star'?
          >
          > Basically, composure. The way they act, talk in
          public, the way they
          > perceive themselves and carry that perception over
          to the masses.
          > 'Seriousness' is not a quality found in the music.
          You can find
          > something
          > like John Oswald's plunderphonics, or Tape Beatles,
          or Frank Zappa, or
          > 60-minute lo-fi drone, or the Fox TV show Banzai
          serious, brilliant or
          > stupid, it matters only to your taste.
          Hearing/reading about how the
          > artist
          > perceives his own work or explains it gives it depth
          -- or on the
          > contrary
          > can reveal how shallow and actually stupid it is
          (why do I think of
          > Weird Al
          > Yankovic right now? And I used to like the guy).
          >
          >> why do some seemingly similar sounding artists get
          taken more
          >> seriously than others?
          >
          > Marketing, image-builders, trend-mongers, music
          journalists.

          > My two cents,
          >
          > Francois Couture
          > Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici),
          translator, proofreader.
          > Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.
          >
          > Personal webpage / Page personnelle:
          http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
          > Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at
          http://www.allmusic.com

          > ---------------------~-->
          > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your HP,
          Epson, Canon or Lexmark
          > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or
          more to the US &
          > Canada. http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/nnJolB/TM

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 2 5:47 AM
            >Do you really prefer Ezra Pound to Jack Kerouac ?

            Of course. Doesn't everyone?

          • Daniel DiMaggio
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 28 1:33 PM
              Speaking of lame covers..

            • chux
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 29 8:07 PM
                >Speaking of lame covers..

                I really like the latest cover. Personally, I'd like to see a guest
                designer do the cover each month. No more recognisably human shapes
                on the cover, just abstract things please.

                It would also be much better if it just said "THE WIRE" and nothing
                else. Well perhaps the occasional blasphemy just to attract
                attention... but not in the sense of having Matmos on the cover.

                chx
                --

                "Quantify quality,
                qualify quantity."

                [Portions of this message have
                been subliminally enhanced]

              • gradyfinklemyer
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 29 9:40 PM
                  I think they should start a "bearded or mustachioed women of rock"
                  series. They already had Le Tigre, now they can have Patti Smith.
                  Mebbe last months cover could count too.

                  --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel DiMaggio" <ddimaggi@p...>
                  wrote:
                  > Speaking of lame covers..

                • soxepke
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 30 10:18 AM
                    wrote:
                    > Speaking of lame covers..

                    I'm neither crazy about nor completely against the cover, but
                    that "unraveling" type font is getting old REAL fast.