Re: elogy/eulogy and Matmos covers

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 31, 2003
      Yo La Tengo is pretty useless, but I can see why they would put them
      on the cover instead of Kagel, who was in the same issue. On the
      other hand, if some indie schmoe picks up the Yo La Tengo issue, are
      they really going to like the Kagel, Asmsus Tietchens, The Ex, etc
      that was in that issue? I think the magazine has pretty much found
      its audience, so they shouldn't be afraid of putting more obscure
      artists on the cover. People who like the magazine are going to buy
      it regardless of who's on the cover, and the few extra sales they may
      get from a Yo La Tengo, Radiohead, Mercury Rev, or DJ Shadow cover
      are probably not going to have first time buyers coming back for more
      when they find out it isn't like Spin.

      wrote:
      > re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the word "elogy"
      > not -"eulogy".
      >
      > re: Matmos on the cover. What 5 covers are worthy in recent
      months/years?
      > and/or....what 5 artists should have made the cover? Then we can
      get a
      > better view of your taste. Realize that every musician that should
      have made
      > a Wire cover in your opinion is equally despised by some random
      person on
      > some random email list. Me? as someone else said, I don't think
      anyone
      > should get more than one cover-ever-. But thats just me.
      >
      > Peter
      >
      > np: Stan Kenton- New Concepts
      >

      > > Message: 1
      > > Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:21:52 +1000
      > > From: chux <chux_vom@o...>
      > > Subject: Re: only 15
      > >
      > >> Whats more impressive than Guilherme being 15 years old is that
      a 15 year
      > >> old used the word "elogy" in a sentence!
      > >>
      > >> !!
      > >
      > > 15 is too young to die.
      > >
      > > chx
      >

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:05:23 -0000
      > From: "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...>
      > Subject: new issue
      >
      > I see that Matmos is on the cover. Couldn't they have just left
      the
      > cover blank, instead?
      > I'm going to go stick a tape recorder in my toilet, then mix the
      > some "electronica" in with the toilet concrete sounds. Maybe I'll
      > throw in a phat beat or two. Can I be on the cover next?
      >
      > Oh what wonderful new clothes the emperor is wearing.
    • Rioual Jc
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
        I think that you are wrong on this point.
        Many readers (me among them) enjoy "pop" articles
        in the Wire.

        There are other publications with a more
        in-depth approach towards modern
        composition/theory.

        --- gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@...> a
        ---------------------------------

        wrote:
        > re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the
        word "elogy"
        > not -"eulogy".
        >
        > re: Matmos on the cover. What 5 covers are worthy in
        recent
        months/years?
        > and/or....what 5 artists should have made the cover?
        Then we can
        get a
        > better view of your taste. Realize that every
        musician that should
        have made
        > a Wire cover in your opinion is equally despised by
        some random
        person on
        > some random email list. Me? as someone else said, I
        don't think
        anyone
        > should get more than one cover-ever-. But thats just
        me.

        > Peter
        >
        > np: Stan Kenton- New Concepts
        >

        > > Message: 1
        > > Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:21:52 +1000
        > > From: chux <chux_vom@o...>
        > > Subject: Re: only 15
        > >
        > >> Whats more impressive than Guilherme being 15
        years old is that
        a 15 year
        > >> old used the word "elogy" in a sentence!
        > >>
        > >> !!
        > >
        > > 15 is too young to die.
        > >
        > > chx
        >

        > Message: 2
        > Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:05:23 -0000
        > From: "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...>
        > Subject: new issue
        >
        > I see that Matmos is on the cover. Couldn't they
        have just left
        the
        > cover blank, instead?
        > I'm going to go stick a tape recorder in my
        toilet, then mix the
        > some "electronica" in with the toilet concrete
        sounds. Maybe I'll
        > throw in a phat beat or two. Can I be on the cover
        next?

        > Oh what wonderful new clothes the emperor is
        wearing.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Terms of Service.

      • John Jones
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
          Hear, hear - some of us actually like pop and
          experimental (and have come to experimental from pop,
          rather than classical or jazz). I hope the mag just
          stays on mixing it up in terms of coverage of
          different types of music which will include - gasp -
          acts who may be slightly popular...

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
            I completly agree with you and I think they
            have reached a good balance.
            I come from industrial music and have discovered
            a lot of wonderful bands in the magazine.
            There are many things I am not interested in the
            magazine but I don't want to remove them!

            And believe it or not I still don't know who is
            Derek Bailey.

            --- John Jones <jahminguk@...> a écrit :
            ---------------------------------
            Hear, hear - some of us actually like pop and
            experimental (and have come to experimental from pop,
            rather than classical or jazz). I hope the mag just
            stays on mixing it up in terms of coverage of
            different types of music which will include - gasp -
            acts who may be slightly popular...

          • mark winkelmannn
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
              >it regardless of who's on the cover, and the few extra sales they may
              >get from a Yo La Tengo, Radiohead, Mercury Rev, or DJ Shadow cover
              >are probably not going to have first time buyers coming back for more
              >when they find out it isn't like Spin.

              Actually thats exactly how I, and several people I know started reading it.

            • Olivier Borzeix
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                Yo La Tengo is pretty useless, but I can see why they would put them
                on the cover instead of Kagel, who was in the same issue. On the
                other hand, if some indie schmoe picks up the Yo La Tengo issue, are
                they really going to like the Kagel, Asmsus Tietchens, The Ex, etc
                that was in that issue?

                *I am on of those that loves all of those artists you sited, spooky hu?

                I think the magazine has pretty much found
                its audience, so they shouldn't be afraid of putting more obscure
                artists on the cover. People who like the magazine are going to buy
                it regardless of who's on the cover, and the few extra sales they may
                get from a Yo La Tengo, Radiohead, Mercury Rev, or DJ Shadow cover
                are probably not going to have first time buyers coming back for more
                when they find out it isn't like Spin.

                *Well... I remember discovering the Wire when Merzbow was on the cover on a trip to Toronto. I was lucky, if it wouldn't have been for the cover it would certainly have taken me years to discover The Wire (my favourite mag now).
                I sense a huge snobery in pretty much all posts on the new issue... You know, when you come from a small country town like I do it's not as easy to know about things like the Wire as when you're living in big cities. And, No, i don't think the Wire is selling out or just giving up to trend because they put Matmos (though I'm not impressed by them at all) instead of Bailey, Kowald etc. on the cover... think they've done pretty much for those lasts in the pasts and even lately.

                *I do agree that The Wire cover won't change the world of indie/post/shoogaze/whatever rock by converting all of its inhabitant to musique concrète/improv/free jazz but it can sometimes enlighten some peoples like it did for me 3 years ago! Peoples who listen to Radiohead, DJ Shadow, Björk etc....aren't all on their way to discover more avant-garde music but there's a huge part of them who have the potential to head this way if they are made aware such things simply exist.

                The Wire is the best entry to that world in my opinion.

                My two cents.

                Olivier

                wrote:
                > re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the word "elogy"
                > not -"eulogy".
                >
                > re: Matmos on the cover. What 5 covers are worthy in recent
                months/years?
                > and/or....what 5 artists should have made the cover? Then we can
                get a
                > better view of your taste. Realize that every musician that should
                have made
                > a Wire cover in your opinion is equally despised by some random
                person on
                > some random email list. Me? as someone else said, I don't think
                anyone
                > should get more than one cover-ever-. But thats just me.
                >
                > Peter
                >
                > np: Stan Kenton- New Concepts
                >

                > > Message: 1
                > > Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:21:52 +1000
                > > From: chux <chux_vom@o...>
                > > Subject: Re: only 15
                > >
                > >> Whats more impressive than Guilherme being 15 years old is that
                a 15 year
                > >> old used the word "elogy" in a sentence!
                > >>
                > >> !!
                > >
                > > 15 is too young to die.
                > >
                > > chx
                >

                > Message: 2
                > Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:05:23 -0000
                > From: "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...>
                > Subject: new issue
                >
                > I see that Matmos is on the cover. Couldn't they have just left
                the
                > cover blank, instead?
                > I'm going to go stick a tape recorder in my toilet, then mix the
                > some "electronica" in with the toilet concrete sounds. Maybe I'll
                > throw in a phat beat or two. Can I be on the cover next?
                >
                > Oh what wonderful new clothes the emperor is wearing.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Yeah, I've recorded my toilet too. Wire staff take note!

                  I'm 18 years of age and would rather read about Tod Dockstader than Matmos.
                  That's Tod Dockstader. Personally, I think Matmos bring musique concrete ideas
                  along rather nicely into THIS century with style and with humour. Cover issue
                  deserved. But it didn't get me searching the net, hunting down anything.
                  Here's hoping next month will be different because if it were to be Kagel on cover,
                  and I don't see why it's not possible, we'd be 'mixing it up' as intended.
                  Way too often Wire stick with the big names. Great if you’re a Matmos fan but
                  shouldn't your musique concrete collection be weighing more than your Matmos
                  one? No? Tod Dockstader cover then, and the rest. Use that photo of him looking
                  smooth, smoking a fag to win over the Spin crowd. Thanks for Sunburned Hand Of
                  The Man etc. I knew nothing about them and though it's not my sort of thing,
                  this is what reading is for. What I don't need is a cover feature on my Sonic
                  Youth collection. Give the cover to those that really need it. There's loads of
                  Matmos fans like me looking to start a Basil Kirchin collection, I don't
                  their names, I'm assuming. The 20th anniversary issue was brilliant. Blank cover,
                  every featured artist inside arranged as if they were the stars. Or maybe
                  organise a fight for the cover between the up-and-coming-Yo-La-Tengo-worshipping
                  bands, I don't their names, I assume they exist, an important band like Yo La
                  Tengo...

                  Rich

                • stuff1424@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                    Sorry, my computer refused to include the word 'know' into two sentences.

                    In a message dated 01/09/03 15:56:38 GMT Daylight Time, stuff1424@...
                    writes:
                    > Yeah, I've recorded my toilet too. Wire staff take note!

                    > I'm 18 years of age and would rather read about Tod Dockstader than Matmos.

                    > That's Tod Dockstader. Personally, I think Matmos bring musique concrete
                    > ideas

                    > along rather nicely into THIS century with style and with humour. Cover
                    > issue

                    > deserved. But it didn't get me searching the net, hunting down anything.

                    > Here's hoping next month will be different because if it were to be Kagel on
                    > cover,

                    > and I don't see why it's not possible, we'd be 'mixing it up' as intended.

                    > Way too often Wire stick with the big names. Great if you’re a Matmos fan
                    > but

                    > shouldn't your musique concrete collection be weighing more than your Matmos

                    > one? No? Tod Dockstader cover then, and the rest. Use that photo of him
                    > looking

                    > smooth, smoking a fag to win over the Spin crowd. Thanks for Sunburned Hand
                    > Of

                    > The Man etc. I knew nothing about them and though it's not my sort of thing,

                    > this is what reading is for. What I don't need is a cover feature on my
                    > Sonic

                    > Youth collection. Give the cover to those that really need it. There's loads
                    > of

                    > Matmos fans like me looking to start a Basil Kirchin collection, I don't

                    > their names, I'm assuming. The 20th anniversary issue was brilliant. Blank
                    > cover,

                    > every featured artist inside arranged as if they were the stars. Or maybe

                    > organise a fight for the cover between the
                    > up-and-coming-Yo-La-Tengo-worshipping

                    > bands, I don't their names, I assume they exist, an important band like Yo
                    > La

                    > Tengo...

                    > Rich

                  • Rioual Jc
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                      People who think that Matmos and Yo La Tango
                      are "mainstream" bands should turn on their Tv one
                      morning and have a look at what is really mainstream
                      music. :-)

                    • Olivier Borzeix
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                        Talking bout that I'm really looking forward for the Matmos french kissing Mauricio Kagel... maybe that would turn "mainstream" headz onto 20th century contemporary music... plus... I'm pretty sure kagel would enjoy it...

                        Olivier

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                          Why not? Plenty of people who like all those bands could easily get into
                          other music. I was one of those indie schmoes who picked up an issue back
                          in '90, based on a cover (Sun Ra).

                          At 06:41 AM 9/1/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                          > Yo La Tengo is pretty useless, but I can see why they would put them
                          >on the cover instead of Kagel, who was in the same issue. On the
                          >other hand, if some indie schmoe picks up the Yo La Tengo issue, are
                          >they really going to like the Kagel, Asmsus Tietchens, The Ex, etc
                          >that was in that issue? I think the magazine has pretty much found
                          >its audience, so they shouldn't be afraid of putting more obscure
                          >artists on the cover. People who like the magazine are going to buy
                          >it regardless of who's on the cover, and the few extra sales they may
                          >get from a Yo La Tengo, Radiohead, Mercury Rev, or DJ Shadow cover
                          >are probably not going to have first time buyers coming back for more
                          >when they find out it isn't like Spin.
                        • kraig grady
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                            One reason is Kagel's eyes are quite sensitive and he cannot have flash pictures taken of himself.

                            Olivier Borzeix wrote:

                            > Yo La Tengo is pretty useless, but I can see why they would put them
                            > on the cover instead of Kagel, who was in the same issue.

                            -- -Kraig Grady
                            North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
                            http://www.anaphoria.com
                            The Wandering Medicine Show
                            KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
                          • Fred Epps
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                              Hi Grady, all,

                              First time poster...

                              I like Yo La Tengo. I like the Ex improv side projects but not their rock.
                              I like what little I've heard of Kagel. I just bought a Tiechens CD based
                              on a Wire review but I don't quite get it yet--still digging in. I've
                              listened to Matmos and such in the past but there doesn't seem to be much
                              new happening in 'electronica' right now.

                              What I listen to is basically determined by what I read in Wire, and Signal
                              to Noise. When I read a positive review or article, I go find a sample on
                              the net of that music, and decide what I think. If I like it, I buy it,
                              within the constraints of my budget.

                              I like to go my musical edges. If I have a strong negative feeling about a
                              kind of music, I try to keep listening to it until I find something I like.
                              I figure if all those people like it, it must have something to offer.
                              Sometimes that assumption is wrong, but not often. This makes exploring
                              music exciting for me.

                              I assumed that people like me are the audience that Wire has found. That's
                              what the breadth of coverage would indicate. But maybe I was wrong... maybe
                              everyone who reads it is just dipping in to find new music that is just
                              like what they already listen to.

                              Even if that is true, Wire thankfully still exists as a resource for those
                              of us who listen to more or less everything.

                              Regards,
                              Fred Epps

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                                that isn't even music

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                                  What does that have to do with the music? Why is it that
                                  some "queer" people have a need to shove their sexuality in other
                                  people's faces? Is it reflective of the general trend in society now,
                                  what with a new "gay" tv show popping up every other week?

                                  --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Olivier Borzeix" <oborzeix@s...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Talking bout that I'm really looking forward for the Matmos french
                                  kissing Mauricio Kagel... maybe that would turn "mainstream" headz
                                  onto 20th century contemporary music... plus... I'm pretty sure kagel
                                  would enjoy it...

                                  > Olivier

                                  Service.

                                • jamello@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                                    i actually took his comment to be more of a joke re: the
                                    madonna-britney-christina three-way snog on last week's mtv awards show. now THAT would make a
                                    fine wire cover...

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                                      Oh darn, I missed that part. I did get to see my superfly heroine
                                      Missy E though. How can one person be so FINE and so talented? Damn,
                                      I missed Fifty Cent too. "fitty cent, fitty cent, anybody got fitty
                                      cent?" I heard the Derek Bailey collaboration with Metallica (the
                                      showstopper at the end) was really good too.

                                      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, jamello@a... wrote:
                                      > i actually took his comment to be more of a joke re: the
                                      > madonna-britney-christina three-way snog on last week's mtv awards
                                      show. now THAT would make a
                                      > fine wire cover...
                                      >

                                      > In a message dated 9/1/2003 6:36:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      > gradyfinklemyer@y... writes:
                                      > What does that have to do with the music? Why is it that
                                      > some "queer" people have a need to shove their sexuality in other
                                      > people's faces? Is it reflective of the general trend in society
                                      now,
                                      > what with a new "gay" tv show popping up every other week?

                                    • michael j
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 1, 2003
                                        OK, so I understand that Christina Agueilera, Eve Libertine and
                                        Gilly Smyth are going to throwdown on the cover
                                        simultaneously 'blindfolded' by Francisco Lopez for a truly
                                        diaphonous jukebox, with a primer on "gradyfinklemyer" <Damn,
                                        >fitty
                                        > > fine wire cover...

                                        I'm running for editor !!!

                                        michael neverbeenonthecover jackson

                                        > > In a message dated 9/1/2003 6:36:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        > > gradyfinklemyer@y... writes:
                                        > > What does that have to do with the music? Why is it that
                                        > > some "queer" people have a need to shove their sexuality in
                                        other
                                        > > people's faces? Is it reflective of the general trend in society
                                        > now,
                                        > > what with a new "gay" tv show popping up every other week?

                                      • marijne
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                                          At 22:34 03-09-01 +0000, you wrote:
                                          > What does that have to do with the music? Why is it that
                                          >some "queer" people have a need to shove their sexuality in other
                                          >people's faces? Is it reflective of the general trend in society now,
                                          >what with a new "gay" tv show popping up every other week?

                                          try not to watch tv. it's devastating.

                                          marijne
                                        • Damon Smith
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                                            On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 11:40 AM, Fred Epps wrote:

                                            > What I listen to is basically determined by what I read in Wire, and
                                            > Signal
                                            > to Noise.
                                            --speaking of this, what is really grating was having yo la tengo
                                            waste space in both the wire and stn recently.
                                            it is not that they bad or that one gets more pleasure listing to eddie
                                            prevost or kagel, it just that yo la tengo did not have anything very
                                            interesting to say. since we read the wire, and don't listen to it, it
                                            gets down to how much these people have worked out what they are
                                            doing, and what they have to say about it.
                                            unless of course they can talk about elaborate anonymous sex scenes.
                                            btw anyone even if they are micheal gira is a clown if they will not
                                            take the little time to learn about what they are doing.
                                            with so many great musicians making great music i don't have time to
                                            listen to, i am not going to waste my time with some jerk in his 40s
                                            who can't spend a few minutes on his craft. i am not asking virtuosity,
                                            i am asking for basic competence.
                                            as it is, i'll listen to the new fred frith/joëlle léandre/jonathan
                                            segal instead if i want to hear guitar.
                                            damon
                                          • Rioual Jc
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                                              I am not interested in listening to Fred Frith
                                              who can't spend some time in learning to sing.
                                              I am not asking for virtuosity but basic competence.

                                              > i am not going to waste my time with some jerk in
                                              >his 40s
                                              >who can't spend a few minutes on his craft. i am not
                                              >asking virtuosity,
                                              >i am asking for basic competence.
                                              >as it is, i'll listen to the new fred frith/joëlle
                                              >léandre/jonathan
                                              >segal instead if i want to hear guitar.
                                              >damon

                                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                              Terms of Service.

                                            • chux
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                                                Peter:
                                                >re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the word "elogy"
                                                >not -"eulogy".

                                                You can can make it mean what you wish and will get no argument from me.

                                                However, what does your dictionary say on the matter? Mine says
                                                (selectively quoting), "4. A funeral oration."

                                                chx
                                                --

                                                "Quantify quality,
                                                qualify quantity."

                                                [Portions of this message have
                                                been subliminally enhanced]

                                              • gradyfinklemyer
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 2, 2003
                                                  He can sing as well as Dr.Eno.

                                                  --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Rioual Jc <jcrioual2@y...> wrote:

                                                  > I am not interested in listening to Fred Frith
                                                  > who can't spend some time in learning to sing.
                                                  > I am not asking for virtuosity but basic competence.
                                                  >
                                                  > > i am not going to waste my time with some jerk in
                                                  > >his 40s
                                                  > >who can't spend a few minutes on his craft. i am not
                                                  > >asking virtuosity,
                                                  > >i am asking for basic competence.
                                                  > >as it is, i'll listen to the new fred frith/joëlle
                                                  > >léandre/jonathan
                                                  > >segal instead if i want to hear guitar.
                                                  > >damon
                                                  >

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                                  > Terms of Service.

                                                • François Couture
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 3, 2003
                                                    >> re: 15 is too young to die. Yes, agreed. He used the word "elogy"
                                                    >> not -"eulogy".
                                                    >
                                                    > You can can make it mean what you wish and will get no argument from me.
                                                    >
                                                    > However, what does your dictionary say on the matter? Mine says
                                                    > (selectively quoting), "4. A funeral oration."

                                                    The guy is Portuguese, let's not forget that. My educated guess is that he
                                                    had a Portuguese word in mind that would be close to the French "eloge",
                                                    which means praise. And the French "eloge" and the English "eulogy"
                                                    intersect on one meaning, the "eloge funebre" or funeral eulogy. French and
                                                    Portuguese sharing Latin origins, I suspect that's what happened here. Of
                                                    course, I didn't lament his death but I did praise his playing and marvelled
                                                    at the fact that he is only 15 years old (since I'm the one who wrote
                                                    first).

                                                    Best

                                                    Francois Couture
                                                    Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici), translator, proofreader.
                                                    Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.

                                                    Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
                                                    Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com
                                                  • chux
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 3, 2003
                                                      Francois,

                                                      Sorry that my punning didn't have you in stitches. ;-)

                                                      It was a response to the recapitulation of the ageism implicit in
                                                      comments about the artist's age. What difference does it make (to
                                                      you) if an artist is 15 or 51? How much less (or more) do expect from
                                                      a 15 year-old?

                                                      Regards,

                                                      chx

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 4, 2003
                                                        > It was a response to the recapitulation of the ageism implicit in
                                                        > comments about the artist's age. What difference does it make (to
                                                        > you) if an artist is 15 or 51? How much less (or more) do expect from
                                                        > a 15 year-old?

                                                        Well, I don't know what other listers think (Damon?), but when it comes to
                                                        free improvisation, I think age does matter. Not to say that older
                                                        improvisers are better than younger, but there is surely something unusual
                                                        (to say the least!) in finding such acute listening, depth in playing and
                                                        involvement from a 15-year old like Guilherme Rodrigues.

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Sep 4, 2003
                                                          On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 05:28 AM, François Couture wrote:

                                                          > Well, I don't know what other listers think (Damon?), but when it
                                                          > comes to
                                                          > free improvisation, I think age does matter.

                                                          --i think the difference in improvisation is there are a ton of older
                                                          musicians still around who have been working hard and practicing daily
                                                          for 40-50 years like barre phillips, bill dixon, derek bailey or cecil
                                                          taylor, also somehow there are so many very creative virtuoso
                                                          improvisers it can be much harder at this point to find a non-virtuoso
                                                          approach that stumbles onto something new...
                                                          on the other hand as far as listening, there are some musicians i find
                                                          interesting at all stages in their careers such as brötzmann or kowald,
                                                          others like evan parker and barry guy i am more interested in their
                                                          current work.
                                                          guilherme seemed to be already be a fine cellist and an interesting
                                                          improviser, when i saw him and as i listen now to a great cd he is on
                                                          "assemblage".
                                                          there are also plenty of older musicians who stopped working on their
                                                          art and are no longer interesting, like charlie haden.
                                                          i got an amazing small book last night "antoni tápies at 80", you can
                                                          see allot of the works here:
                                                          http://www.waddington-galleries.com/ARTIST/TAPI/STAPI2.HTM
                                                          just like seeing cecil or (playing with him) you see how deeply
                                                          someone can get into their art over time, if they get the time.
                                                          damon smith
                                                          http://www.balancepointacoustics.com