Re: [thewire] basic equipment to make your own music at home

  • gary goldfinch
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
      08/08/2003 23:00:09, "... ..." <flashram000@...> wrote:

      >first things first, get a wav editor program. cool edit pro seems to be the
      >most popular one.

      if you're not planning on getting into midi, this is an excellent choice. Very limited midi
      capability but very easy to use and multi-track too so you can arrange your noises
      anyway you like.

      > programs
      >like audiomulch are really made for live playing. i know kids who wouldn't
      >use it live but use it to make samples, or even the other way around.

      Out of interest, it's Kieron Hebdons (Four Tet) weapon of choice for creating loops and
      sounds.

      >ability to edit and manipulate is key. if you find that you like the
      >cut-and-paste process of wav editing you'll probably want to upgrade to a
      >multi-track recording program. is there pro-tools free for pcs too?

      there is but it's only compatible with Win98 and is notoriously unstable. Not a good
      advert for the full application. :)

      besides Cool Edit pro and all the regulars (cubase, logic (mac only)) you may want to
      check out Tracktion (www.rawmaterialsoftware.com), a dead easy to use but very
      flexible audio and midi recording app. Doesn't stick to any Windows conventions so
      has a real nice workflow, very visual. Cheap too compared to the others (50gbp)

      Maybe a good place to start is to get a copy of Computer Music mag (UK). Not exactly
      the deepest mag around but the cd usually has a complete free software studio on it.
      Certainly plenty to play with and get to grips with the different concepts.

      .g

      www.garyleeg.f9.co.uk
    • Peter Wyeth
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2003
        I just wanted to add that it might be worth looking at
        hitsquad.com and harmonycentral.com for free/shareware
        you can download. If you've got a pc/mac then you're
        halfway there already.
        barepierre.
        08/08/2003 23:00:09, "... ..."