Re: [thewire] basic equipment to make your own music at home

  • ... ...
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
      first things first, get a wav editor program. cool edit pro seems to be the
      most popular one. you can find free ones on the internet. i used to work
      with a pc and practically everyone i know who uses their computer to make
      music started out just messing around with a wav editing program. programs
      like audiomulch are really made for live playing. i know kids who wouldn't
      use it live but use it to make samples, or even the other way around. the
      ability to edit and manipulate is key. if you find that you like the
      cut-and-paste process of wav editing you'll probably want to upgrade to a
      multi-track recording program. is there pro-tools free for pcs too? a lot
      of people use sequencer programs like buzz or the dreaded fruity loops.
      audiomulch has a sequencer built into it. cubase: i know a lot of people
      use this. i never have and i have no idea what it does specifically.
      someone else may be able to explain midi. i've spent three years teaching
      myself to make music with a computer and have avoided midi like it was the
      plauge. not for any particular reason.

      also, non-computer related equipment: a mixer. you can find a real basic
      one for a pretty affordable rate. it's key if you want to record and it
      will allow you a lot of control over yr sound. mixers are wonderful.

      again, sorry for the long-winded response. i'm a computer-music nerd and
      conversations with my friends usually degenerate into something like the
      above paragraph. sorry.

      love

      =======================
      "This is because knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for
      cutting." - M.F.
      http://flashram.cjb.net

      >Message: 3
      > Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 05:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: okan "aydy´┐Żn" <okanokan@...>
      >Subject: basic equipment to make your own music at home
      >
      >this may not sound right but as a fan of glitch,
      >click/cut, lowercase etc. and a usual subscriber of
      >the wire magazine, I really wonder how to start to
      >make my own music in that sense by using a pc or let's
      >say laptop. for the last couple of days, there were
      >messages about this laptop composition subject, and
      >many of you have mentioned about audiomulch..as a
      >person who has no knowledge in that sense and as a
      >person who really wants to make something at home, I
      >would like to take your opinions. what are the basic
      >software programs ? what are the basic equipments
      >needed ? the famous magazine sound on sound has lots
      >of articles published online about a vast range of
      >equipment, but what I am looking for is "where and how
      >should one start to make his own music ?
      >
      >please keep in mind that my favorites are the likes of
      >pole - autechre - taylor deupree - kim cascone - komet
      >- alva.noto and so on...
      >
      >regards fasitdaire...

      >http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

    • gary goldfinch
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
        08/08/2003 23:00:09, "... ..." <flashram000@...> wrote:

        >first things first, get a wav editor program. cool edit pro seems to be the
        >most popular one.

        if you're not planning on getting into midi, this is an excellent choice. Very limited midi
        capability but very easy to use and multi-track too so you can arrange your noises
        anyway you like.

        > programs
        >like audiomulch are really made for live playing. i know kids who wouldn't
        >use it live but use it to make samples, or even the other way around.

        Out of interest, it's Kieron Hebdons (Four Tet) weapon of choice for creating loops and
        sounds.

        >ability to edit and manipulate is key. if you find that you like the
        >cut-and-paste process of wav editing you'll probably want to upgrade to a
        >multi-track recording program. is there pro-tools free for pcs too?

        there is but it's only compatible with Win98 and is notoriously unstable. Not a good
        advert for the full application. :)

        besides Cool Edit pro and all the regulars (cubase, logic (mac only)) you may want to
        check out Tracktion (www.rawmaterialsoftware.com), a dead easy to use but very
        flexible audio and midi recording app. Doesn't stick to any Windows conventions so
        has a real nice workflow, very visual. Cheap too compared to the others (50gbp)

        Maybe a good place to start is to get a copy of Computer Music mag (UK). Not exactly
        the deepest mag around but the cd usually has a complete free software studio on it.
        Certainly plenty to play with and get to grips with the different concepts.

        .g

        www.garyleeg.f9.co.uk
      • Peter Wyeth
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2003
          I just wanted to add that it might be worth looking at
          hitsquad.com and harmonycentral.com for free/shareware
          you can download. If you've got a pc/mac then you're
          halfway there already.
          barepierre.
          08/08/2003 23:00:09, "... ..."