Radiophonic

  • Oakiedog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
      I was totally disappointed in the radiophonic stuff EXCEPT FOR A FEW OF THE
      DELIA DERYBYSHIRE compositions. Delain Mode is a killer and so is Towards
      Tomorrow. Her stuff is the best body of work by far. David Cain and John Baker
      are just too damn fucking whacky. Sonic Boom had a bunch of 18th generation
      tapes of the London Experimental Lab (or some name like that) that Delia was
      involved with in the 60s (Cornelius Cardew and I think AMM members were also
      fitting in somewhere around there). The tapes were brilliant. These people were
      creating amazing droney stuff...hypnotizing, pulsing....they created computers
      that could compose music. Some of the scores were three-dimensional with
      shading and grouped symbols to represent tone, emotion, and loudness. Sonic has
      (or at least had) some of the scores. Again, the tapes were brilliant. Wonder
      if they will ever see the light of day (if they have, someone drop me a
      line!!). Sonic should write an article about this stuff.

      Back to Radiophonic....the better purchase, in my mind, would be Raymond
      Scott's MANHATTAN RESEARCH 2cd hard cover mini book (www.bastamusic.com). Great
      stuff all the way through. Totally inspiring.

      I take nothing away from Delia Derbyshire. An inspired artist who really had
      a unique vision for electronic sound.

      Katznelson