Re: Radiophonic

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, John Jones <jahminguk@y...> wrote:
      > Both worth having, but if you only have enough to buy
      > one them definitely buy the earlier one [do you mean
      > the 'pink' one? It was released in 1971], as that is
      > superb and has the workshop at their most cutting
      > edge. It also includes quite a few, and excellent,
      > Delia Derbyshire compositions.

      Just did so this morning
      listening to it right now, first time on headphones.
      I thgought the liner notes said something about it coming out on
      vinyl in '68. One of the sites I checked yesterday, while looking for
      reviews had the same date '68, the Workshop thing's supposed to
      be '75.
      I don't know what overlap there would be with contemporary pop/rock
      stuff but I thought '68 was a better bet anyway.
      Some interesting stuff here so there is.
      Dunno what I was expecting but I don't think it was exactly this.
      Stevo
      Np BBC Radiophonic Music John Baker Tommorrow's World
    • Oakiedog@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
        I was totally disappointed in the radiophonic stuff EXCEPT FOR A FEW OF THE
        DELIA DERYBYSHIRE compositions. Delain Mode is a killer and so is Towards
        Tomorrow. Her stuff is the best body of work by far. David Cain and John Baker
        are just too damn fucking whacky. Sonic Boom had a bunch of 18th generation
        tapes of the London Experimental Lab (or some name like that) that Delia was
        involved with in the 60s (Cornelius Cardew and I think AMM members were also
        fitting in somewhere around there). The tapes were brilliant. These people were
        creating amazing droney stuff...hypnotizing, pulsing....they created computers
        that could compose music. Some of the scores were three-dimensional with
        shading and grouped symbols to represent tone, emotion, and loudness. Sonic has
        (or at least had) some of the scores. Again, the tapes were brilliant. Wonder
        if they will ever see the light of day (if they have, someone drop me a
        line!!). Sonic should write an article about this stuff.

        Back to Radiophonic....the better purchase, in my mind, would be Raymond
        Scott's MANHATTAN RESEARCH 2cd hard cover mini book (www.bastamusic.com). Great
        stuff all the way through. Totally inspiring.

        I take nothing away from Delia Derbyshire. An inspired artist who really had
        a unique vision for electronic sound.

        Katznelson