basic equipment to make your own music at home

  • okanayd�n
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
      this may not sound right but as a fan of glitch,
      click/cut, lowercase etc. and a usual subscriber of
      the wire magazine, I really wonder how to start to
      make my own music in that sense by using a pc or let's
      say laptop. for the last couple of days, there were
      messages about this laptop composition subject, and
      many of you have mentioned about audiomulch..as a
      person who has no knowledge in that sense and as a
      person who really wants to make something at home, I
      would like to take your opinions. what are the basic
      software programs ? what are the basic equipments
      needed ? the famous magazine sound on sound has lots
      of articles published online about a vast range of
      equipment, but what I am looking for is "where and how
      should one start to make his own music ?

      please keep in mind that my favorites are the likes of
      pole - autechre - taylor deupree - kim cascone - komet
      - alva.noto and so on...

      regards fasitdaire...

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • ... ...
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
        first things first, get a wav editor program. cool edit pro seems to be the
        most popular one. you can find free ones on the internet. i used to work
        with a pc and practically everyone i know who uses their computer to make
        music started out just messing around with a wav editing program. programs
        like audiomulch are really made for live playing. i know kids who wouldn't
        use it live but use it to make samples, or even the other way around. the
        ability to edit and manipulate is key. if you find that you like the
        cut-and-paste process of wav editing you'll probably want to upgrade to a
        multi-track recording program. is there pro-tools free for pcs too? a lot
        of people use sequencer programs like buzz or the dreaded fruity loops.
        audiomulch has a sequencer built into it. cubase: i know a lot of people
        use this. i never have and i have no idea what it does specifically.
        someone else may be able to explain midi. i've spent three years teaching
        myself to make music with a computer and have avoided midi like it was the
        plauge. not for any particular reason.

        also, non-computer related equipment: a mixer. you can find a real basic
        one for a pretty affordable rate. it's key if you want to record and it
        will allow you a lot of control over yr sound. mixers are wonderful.

        again, sorry for the long-winded response. i'm a computer-music nerd and
        conversations with my friends usually degenerate into something like the
        above paragraph. sorry.

        love

        =======================
        "This is because knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for
        cutting." - M.F.
        http://flashram.cjb.net

        >Message: 3
        > Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 05:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
        > From: okan "aydy�n" <okanokan@...>
        >Subject: basic equipment to make your own music at home
        >
        >this may not sound right but as a fan of glitch,
        >click/cut, lowercase etc. and a usual subscriber of
        >the wire magazine, I really wonder how to start to
        >make my own music in that sense by using a pc or let's
        >say laptop. for the last couple of days, there were
        >messages about this laptop composition subject, and
        >many of you have mentioned about audiomulch..as a
        >person who has no knowledge in that sense and as a
        >person who really wants to make something at home, I
        >would like to take your opinions. what are the basic
        >software programs ? what are the basic equipments
        >needed ? the famous magazine sound on sound has lots
        >of articles published online about a vast range of
        >equipment, but what I am looking for is "where and how
        >should one start to make his own music ?
        >
        >please keep in mind that my favorites are the likes of
        >pole - autechre - taylor deupree - kim cascone - komet
        >- alva.noto and so on...
        >
        >regards fasitdaire...

        >http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

      • gary goldfinch
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2003
          08/08/2003 23:00:09, "... ..." <flashram000@...> wrote:

          >first things first, get a wav editor program. cool edit pro seems to be the
          >most popular one.

          if you're not planning on getting into midi, this is an excellent choice. Very limited midi
          capability but very easy to use and multi-track too so you can arrange your noises
          anyway you like.

          > programs
          >like audiomulch are really made for live playing. i know kids who wouldn't
          >use it live but use it to make samples, or even the other way around.

          Out of interest, it's Kieron Hebdons (Four Tet) weapon of choice for creating loops and
          sounds.

          >ability to edit and manipulate is key. if you find that you like the
          >cut-and-paste process of wav editing you'll probably want to upgrade to a
          >multi-track recording program. is there pro-tools free for pcs too?

          there is but it's only compatible with Win98 and is notoriously unstable. Not a good
          advert for the full application. :)

          besides Cool Edit pro and all the regulars (cubase, logic (mac only)) you may want to
          check out Tracktion (www.rawmaterialsoftware.com), a dead easy to use but very
          flexible audio and midi recording app. Doesn't stick to any Windows conventions so
          has a real nice workflow, very visual. Cheap too compared to the others (50gbp)

          Maybe a good place to start is to get a copy of Computer Music mag (UK). Not exactly
          the deepest mag around but the cd usually has a complete free software studio on it.
          Certainly plenty to play with and get to grips with the different concepts.

          .g

          www.garyleeg.f9.co.uk
        • Peter Wyeth
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18, 2003
            I just wanted to add that it might be worth looking at
            hitsquad.com and harmonycentral.com for free/shareware
            you can download. If you've got a pc/mac then you're
            halfway there already.
            barepierre.
            08/08/2003 23:00:09, "... ..."