Re: [thewire] Radiophonic

  • John Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
      Both worth having, but if you only have enough to buy
      one them definitely buy the earlier one [do you mean
      the 'pink' one? It was released in 1971], as that is
      superb and has the workshop at their most cutting
      edge. It also includes quite a few, and excellent,
      Delia Derbyshire compositions.

      --- Stevo <stevolende@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      I'm trying to decide whether to buy one or both of the
      BBC
      Radiophonic cds.
      That's the Workshop one from '75 and the Music one
      from I think '68.
      They've turned up reasonably cheaply locally. I'm just
      not sure what
      spare cash I've got or I think I'd chance both
      straight off.
      Anybody know both of them?
      Stevo
      Np Fairport Convention Full House Sloth

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      Terms of Service.

    • Stevo
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, John Jones <jahminguk@y...> wrote:
        > Both worth having, but if you only have enough to buy
        > one them definitely buy the earlier one [do you mean
        > the 'pink' one? It was released in 1971], as that is
        > superb and has the workshop at their most cutting
        > edge. It also includes quite a few, and excellent,
        > Delia Derbyshire compositions.

        Just did so this morning
        listening to it right now, first time on headphones.
        I thgought the liner notes said something about it coming out on
        vinyl in '68. One of the sites I checked yesterday, while looking for
        reviews had the same date '68, the Workshop thing's supposed to
        be '75.
        I don't know what overlap there would be with contemporary pop/rock
        stuff but I thought '68 was a better bet anyway.
        Some interesting stuff here so there is.
        Dunno what I was expecting but I don't think it was exactly this.
        Stevo
        Np BBC Radiophonic Music John Baker Tommorrow's World
      • Oakiedog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
          I was totally disappointed in the radiophonic stuff EXCEPT FOR A FEW OF THE
          DELIA DERYBYSHIRE compositions. Delain Mode is a killer and so is Towards
          Tomorrow. Her stuff is the best body of work by far. David Cain and John Baker
          are just too damn fucking whacky. Sonic Boom had a bunch of 18th generation
          tapes of the London Experimental Lab (or some name like that) that Delia was
          involved with in the 60s (Cornelius Cardew and I think AMM members were also
          fitting in somewhere around there). The tapes were brilliant. These people were
          creating amazing droney stuff...hypnotizing, pulsing....they created computers
          that could compose music. Some of the scores were three-dimensional with
          shading and grouped symbols to represent tone, emotion, and loudness. Sonic has
          (or at least had) some of the scores. Again, the tapes were brilliant. Wonder
          if they will ever see the light of day (if they have, someone drop me a
          line!!). Sonic should write an article about this stuff.

          Back to Radiophonic....the better purchase, in my mind, would be Raymond
          Scott's MANHATTAN RESEARCH 2cd hard cover mini book (www.bastamusic.com). Great
          stuff all the way through. Totally inspiring.

          I take nothing away from Delia Derbyshire. An inspired artist who really had
          a unique vision for electronic sound.

          Katznelson