Radiophonic

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
      I'm trying to decide whether to buy one or both of the BBC
      Radiophonic cds.
      That's the Workshop one from '75 and the Music one from I think '68.
      They've turned up reasonably cheaply locally. I'm just not sure what
      spare cash I've got or I think I'd chance both straight off.
      Anybody know both of them?
      Stevo
      Np Fairport Convention Full House Sloth
    • John Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
        Both worth having, but if you only have enough to buy
        one them definitely buy the earlier one [do you mean
        the 'pink' one? It was released in 1971], as that is
        superb and has the workshop at their most cutting
        edge. It also includes quite a few, and excellent,
        Delia Derbyshire compositions.

        --- Stevo <stevolende@...> wrote:
        ---------------------------------
        I'm trying to decide whether to buy one or both of the
        BBC
        Radiophonic cds.
        That's the Workshop one from '75 and the Music one
        from I think '68.
        They've turned up reasonably cheaply locally. I'm just
        not sure what
        spare cash I've got or I think I'd chance both
        straight off.
        Anybody know both of them?
        Stevo
        Np Fairport Convention Full House Sloth

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Terms of Service.

      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, John Jones <jahminguk@y...> wrote:
          > Both worth having, but if you only have enough to buy
          > one them definitely buy the earlier one [do you mean
          > the 'pink' one? It was released in 1971], as that is
          > superb and has the workshop at their most cutting
          > edge. It also includes quite a few, and excellent,
          > Delia Derbyshire compositions.

          Just did so this morning
          listening to it right now, first time on headphones.
          I thgought the liner notes said something about it coming out on
          vinyl in '68. One of the sites I checked yesterday, while looking for
          reviews had the same date '68, the Workshop thing's supposed to
          be '75.
          I don't know what overlap there would be with contemporary pop/rock
          stuff but I thought '68 was a better bet anyway.
          Some interesting stuff here so there is.
          Dunno what I was expecting but I don't think it was exactly this.
          Stevo
          Np BBC Radiophonic Music John Baker Tommorrow's World
        • Oakiedog@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2003
            I was totally disappointed in the radiophonic stuff EXCEPT FOR A FEW OF THE
            DELIA DERYBYSHIRE compositions. Delain Mode is a killer and so is Towards
            Tomorrow. Her stuff is the best body of work by far. David Cain and John Baker
            are just too damn fucking whacky. Sonic Boom had a bunch of 18th generation
            tapes of the London Experimental Lab (or some name like that) that Delia was
            involved with in the 60s (Cornelius Cardew and I think AMM members were also
            fitting in somewhere around there). The tapes were brilliant. These people were
            creating amazing droney stuff...hypnotizing, pulsing....they created computers
            that could compose music. Some of the scores were three-dimensional with
            shading and grouped symbols to represent tone, emotion, and loudness. Sonic has
            (or at least had) some of the scores. Again, the tapes were brilliant. Wonder
            if they will ever see the light of day (if they have, someone drop me a
            line!!). Sonic should write an article about this stuff.

            Back to Radiophonic....the better purchase, in my mind, would be Raymond
            Scott's MANHATTAN RESEARCH 2cd hard cover mini book (www.bastamusic.com). Great
            stuff all the way through. Totally inspiring.

            I take nothing away from Delia Derbyshire. An inspired artist who really had
            a unique vision for electronic sound.

            Katznelson