Re: Television reissues

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      Does anyone know when in the world Rhino is going to reissue Tim
      Buckley's Starsailor and Blue Afternoon? They could at least do the
      Rhino Handmade versions. Is there some kind of problem with
      Straight/Bizarre? Isn't Beefheart's Lick My Decals out of print too?

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Lang Thompson <wlt4@m...> wrote:
      > Here's the press release:
      >
      > TELEVISION'S MOON RISES AGAIN
      >
      > Rhino Releases Expanded, Remastered Marquee Moon And Adventure,
      > While Rhino Handmade Releases Live At The Old Waldorf
      > On September 23
      >

      > LOS ANGELES - One of the most influential rock bands of the last 30
      years
      > will finally get the recognition it deserves when Rhino Records
      releases
      > Television's MARQUEE MOON and ADVENTURE in expanded and remastered
      form on
      > September 23. Both titles' booklets are loaded with unseen photos,
      lyrics
      > and liner notes by experimental guitarist Alan Licht. In addition,
      Rhino
      > Handmade will release LIVE AT THE OLD WALDORF on the same date.
      >
      > Television's 1977 debut album, MARQUEE MOON, immediately earned
      critical
      > raves and inspired a number of musicians and bands. Tom Verlaine's
      vocals
      > and fret work, Richard Lloyd's angular guitar playing, and Billy
      Ficca and
      > Fred Smith's halting, unexpected drum and bass work all combined to
      > reassert a guitar-based music during a time when soft-rock and
      disco ruled
      > the airwaves. The band also ventured¬čvery successfully¬činto
      extended sonic
      > explorations, despite punk's call for shorter, faster songs.
      >
      > In addition to MARQUEE MOON's original eight flawless cuts
      (including the
      > searing opener, "See No Evil" and the epic title track), this
      expanded
      > version includes previously unreleased alternate takes of "See No
      Evil,"
      > "Friction," and "Marquee Moon," a previously unreleased
      instrumental track,
      > and the never-before-on-CD, full-length version of the
      single "Little
      > Johnny Jewel," which pre-dated the album.
      >
      > Television's sophomore disc, 1978's ADVENTURE, refined the band's
      sound a
      > bit with some elegant production, but the songs and playing are
      just as
      > compelling as on MARQUEE MOON. ADVENTURE's original eight songs are
      > augmented here by three previously unreleased tracks: "Adventure,"
      an early
      > version of "Glory," and the single mix version of "Ain't That
      Nothin'," as
      > well as an instrumental rehearsal run-through of "Ain't That
      Nothin',
      > included as a hidden bonus track.
      >
      > The Rhino Handmade title, LIVE AT THE OLD WALDORF, captures
      Television on
      > June 29, 1978 at their incendiary best, playing tunes from MARQUEE
      MOON and
      > ADVENTURE, as well as "Little Johnny Jewel" and "Satisfaction." The
      > concert was originally recorded for radio broadcast, and made
      available
      > only as a promotional album. Often bootlegged in varying degrees of
      > quality, the show receives its first official release ever here,
      with
      > pristine remastered sound.
      >
      > Available at regular retail outlets and at www.rhino.com, MARQUEE
      MOON and
      > ADVENTURE each carry an SRP of $17.98. LIVE AT THE OLD WALDORF is
      available
      > only through RhinoHandmade.com for $19.98. Get ready to turn on the
      > Television!
    • A.S. Van Dorston
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 15, 2003
        I've been listening to Joe Henderson * Elements (w/ Alice Coltrane), A
        Coltrane's Ptah The El Daoud, Herbie Hancock's Complete WB Recordings. I
        recently used the term Cosmic Jazz to describe 'em. Is this term widely used?

        The bloke below calls it Kozmigroov, ha ha. Anyone got their own
        definitions, favorites?

        http://www.freeform.org/music/kozmigroov-index.html

        What is Kozmigroov?

        Kozmigroov* is a transgressive improvisational music which combines
        elements of psychedelia, spirituality, jazz, rock, soul, funk, and African,
        Latin, Brazillian, Indian and Asian influences. At its most accomplished,
        Kozmigroov is both expansive and highly rhythmic, and simultaneously finds
        connections with the mind, soul and body.

        Examples span: from the intergalactic electronic offerings of Sun Ra
        (arguably, the Godfather of Kozmigroov) to the spacejazz of Miles Davis'
        Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi, Crossings, Sextet to the
        transcendental jazz of Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders to the spiritual
        Afro-centric soul declarations found on the Impulse!, Strata East,
        BlackJazz and Tribe labels to the dense apocalyptic jazz-rock of the Tony
        Williams Lifetime, Miles' Dark Magus/Agharta/Pangaea axis, and the Last
        Exit quartet to the cosmic funk of Herbie Hancock, The Headhunters, Lonnie
        Liston Smith, and Charles Earland to the European progressive refractions
        captured on the MPS and ECM imprints to the Asian amalgams of Terumasa
        Hino, Masabumi Kikuchi and Shunzo Ohno to the pan-global fusions explored
        by Don Cherry, Jon Hassell and Charlie Mariano to the jagged free funk of
        Ornette Coleman's original Prime Time and its harmolodic alumni (Ronald
        Shannon Jackson, James Blood Ulmer) to a host of recent Nu-Jazz revisionary
        sides including Erik Truffaz, Kirk DeGiorgio, Ashley Beadle, and The
        Cinematic Orchestra

        This site is dedicated to all of the above, in addition to the seemingly
        endless list of other musicians whose music resides either within or across
        these nominal categories. Regardless of whether it's realistic to
        circumscribe such diverse elements, there remains a common aesthetic at
        work here. Kozmigroov can be said to represent a crossbreed which arises
        through the breakdown of artistic boundaries and biases, a hybrid which
        embraces other influences and new technologies, all the while maintaining a
        sense of connection to the original spirit of the music.

        Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
        www.fastnbulbous.com

      • humazoo
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2003
          Cosmic Jazz, Spiritual Jazz, Transcendental Jazz, Ecstatic Jazz or
          Kozmigroov!
          "Good Music" would also suffice!
          I'm actually a UK based Kozmigroov DJ.
          I would be interested to know whether ther are any simailar DJ's out
          there, suitable venues, or musicians that could use a more unusual
          warm up DJ.
          I would also be interested in hearing whether any of you would be
          interested in attending events that feature the recodrings of the
          artists mentioned in the "Kozmigroov Index".
          For more info visit: <www.humazoo.co.uk> or subscribe to the
          wire "announcement" group for updates on forthcoming events.
          Also, does anybody know whether or not there is any live footage of
          Alice Coltrane knocking around?

          DJ Ape 11
          <www.humazoo.co.uk>

          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "A.S. Van Dorston" <anthony@f...>