WRECK: Words Spoken & Garbled

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 222: Words Spoken & Garbled

      Maandag, 23 Juni 2003 (17.00 to 19.00)

      SIMUL-streaming <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "Caught in the center of the soundless field / While hot inexplicable
      hours go by
      / What trap is this? Where were its teeth concealed?
      o Philip Larkin, "Myxomatosis"

      Public Transportation > Claudia Bonarelli [1]
      Emergency Broadcast Network #29 > Mannlicher Carcano [2]
      Thought > Ez3kiel (feat Angelo Moore Fishbone) [3]
      In Kharm's Way #1 > Ted Milton & Sam Britton [4]
      Versus > Ez3kiel (feat black sif) [3]
      In Kharm's Way #2 > Ted Milton & Sam Britton [4]
      In Kharm's Way #3 > Ted Milton & Sam Britton [4]
      Big High Song For Somebody > Roy Glenn [5]
      Traces of the Mississippi, And We Ride > Anne Le Baron [2]
      Obssd > Ez3kiel (feat b sif) [3]
      I Saw the Best Minds of My Generation Rot > Allen Ginsberg [6]
      Incomplete Directions > Steven Dalachinsky [7]

      "I wonder if / Anyone looked at me, forty years back, / And thought,
      That'll be the life; No God any more, or sweating in the dark"
      o Philip Larkin, "High Windows"

      Forgotten Melody > Bob Holman [8]
      You Know Why I Like Music > Black Sifichi [9]
      Red Eyes / Byrika > Black Sifichi vs Gnawa Joum Experience [10]
      Hot Roddin' & Tux's & False Flags > Roberto Valenza [11]
      The Grand Delusion > Tape Beatles [12]
      The Bird Out of its Cage > Charles Bukowski [13]
      Open > Black Sifichi vs Norscq [14]
      Sitting in a Room > Shelley Hirsch [15]
      Thobb > Jaap Blonk [16]
      Them Toad Suckers > Mason Williams [17]
      He Can't Take You With Him > Tom Hamilton, Mike Silverton & Al Margolis [18]
      Electric Music & The Summer People > Mystic Moods Orchestra [19]
      05/09/58 > Chris Dooks [20]
      Infinite Monkeys 10-99 > Mannlicher Carcano [2]

      "They fuck you up, your mum and dad. / They may not mean to, but they do. /
      They fill you with faults they had / And add some extra, just for you."
      o Philip Larkin, "This Be The Verse"

      [1] "No Type Sampler" on No Type <www.notype.com>. Beautiful Wolfgang
      "Gas" Voigt-like trance-loops that remind me also of Rapoon. Like
      Gas, Zoviet France, Rapoon I can play these kinds of mesmerizing and
      meditative loops over and over. I did just that, playing this lilting
      cut some 50 times on repeat.

      [2] "Music Works 84" on SOCAN. Sound-magazine collection of
      interesting sound, music, and poetic incursions into the forefront of
      what is happening in North America - mostly focused on Canadian
      experimentation. Composer LeBaron creates and interesting
      investigation of sounds from the South brought north, scraped from
      the banks of the Mississippi. Employs native voices and singersŠ

      [3] Ez3kiel "Barbary" on Jarring Effects / PIAS. Obssd is Ez3kiel vs
      Black Sifichi, not on this CD. The collection is a sturdy
      amalgamation of various genres including punky dub, noisy World
      music, soulful drum & bassic material that engages and confronts.

      [4] "In Kharm's Way" on Nadine. The poetry of Daniil Kharms on this
      hand-produced menacing-beautiful package of poetry booklet and CD.
      Featuring the always engaging vocals of that fast-tongued saxophonic
      wordsmith, Ted Milton with that magical simplicity that defined and
      made Blurt such a great cross between punk, funk and no wave in the
      mid-80s. Here poesie plus drum and bass.

      [5] Psychedelic low-fi white trash hipster jive.

      [6] "Virgin Fugs" On ESP vinyl. Low-fi meets high ideals through the
      soul of William Blake and the spleen of Allen Ginsberg. The ultimate
      Groucho-Marxist garage-less band.

      [7] "Incomplete Directions" on Knitting Factory
      <www.knittingfactory.com>. Effective straddling of bookwormly
      erudition and street shuffling poesie.

      [8] "In With the Out Crowd" on Mouth Almighty /Mercury. From the man
      who would be Lord Buckley if he wasn't busy being himself and the
      spoken perf world's ultimate MC. Check out his Bowery Poetry Club
      when in Manhattan.

      [9] "15 Trax" on CDR, personal home recordings and other stuff. Give
      Bukowski some speed and pastis and put him on a bike with soft tiresŠ

      [10] "No Fridge" Nice fusion of North African music and western
      studio sounds. Black Sifichi is Ken Nordine meets Ken Rexroth on a
      North African holiday in the 20th arrondisement of Paris chatting
      with Brion Gysin.

      [11] "Forewarning the 21st Century" on Bootburn. A live performance
      by Steven Jesse Bernstein & RV. A kind of 60s style ESP disc of jazz
      noise and mad poesie.

      [12] "The Grand Delusion" The Tape Beatles are to sound what John
      Heartfield was to politically savage collage. Subliminal as a
      laughing hatchet taken to all symbols of nationalistic hypocrisy.

      [13] "The Life & Hazardous Time of Charles Bukowski" on
      Enlightenment/Chrome Dreams. With music by Magic Dragon. Curious
      record that reveals intimate aspects of Bukowski that might not come
      through if it was mere drunken performance although the record does
      smell like a farmer milking a dead cow.

      [14] "Ten" on Sabotage <www.sabotage.at>. A curious mini-CD that
      gives a quick if uneven and unsatisfying snapshot of some current
      goings-on in inventive music circles. The outstanding cut is Norscq
      vs Sifichi's "Open" which seems to use anal penetration as a metaphor
      in a post-hyper John Giorno manner. Sinister to the point of nervous

      [15] "Far In, Far Out" on Tzadik. Speaking in tongues, the tongues of
      the anxious, the stressed, the all-knowing, the burdens of knowing a
      lot of too much all comes to a head in this inspired spiritual scat
      by one of the best vocalists working in any genre.

      [16] "Imp Rovi Sors" on Kontrans. If god ever needs to bewilder his
      flock he will hire Blonk & co. to head off the rabble at the gates to
      heaven. Inspired meta-language for a new start. Jazz tongues for the
      Dr. Seuss set.

      [17] "Them Poems" on Vee Jay vinyl, 1964. Still NOT rereleased.
      Genius folk songs that made MW a hit with the Kingston Trio Smothers
      Brothers set in the early 60s. Somewhere between wacked genius
      ditties and haiku done James Thurber style [?] Profiled in my yodel
      book BTW.

      [18] "Analogue Smoque" on Pogus <www.pogus.com> is a strange double
      disc of spoken word and freeform soundscaping. The narrator is
      something of a prim fantabulist whose use of language spins a
      wonderful aura of other worlds and strange perceptions in an even
      stranger world. Silverton claims an interest in theosophy, and
      "cryptorchidistics, i.e., state of non-descent." Hamilton is a
      30-year vet of electronic music and proffers something called
      "present-time listening" while Margolis is a man of many wigs, having
      run Sound of Pig, a cassette label devoted to adventurous music into
      the sky. He describes his music as "sound fingerpainting."

      [19] "Highway One" on Warner Brothers vinyl. Mellow commercialized
      kitsch-hippie stuff all in an easy-listening format.

      [20] "To Look North" on Isis Arts / NRFTA / BBC. A naughty mixer
      sneaks into England's "Northern Region Film and Television Archive"
      for some lucid sound texts and some serious mayhem.

      "Funny how hard it is to be alone / I could spend half my evenings,
      if I wanted, /
      Holding a glass of washing sherry"
      o Philip Larkin, "Vers de Société"*

      [*] Having not read much poetry and having stopped writing it in the
      early 1990s in part as a reaction of exasperation against the
      MTV/Poetry Slammification of poetry. In mid-1990s NY EVERYone was
      suddenly a spoken wordistŠ And everyone, all 10,000 of us were vying
      for the 2 record contractsŠ Anyway, this show on the BBC called "Love
      Again" a dramatization of the life of Larkin made me believe in
      poetry a little again. He also wrote lucid impassioned jazz criticismŠ

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon.
      Now appearing: excerpts from my paris novel, PARIS SEX TETE...
      although the editor seems to have imploded like a black hole filled
      with stress and noncommunication.

      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL