Re: [thewire] Television reissues

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 21, 2003
      Thank gawd, finally. A double CD of Marquee Moon was originally announced
      nearly two years ago.

      I would guess (hope) they'd include their original single, "Little Johnny
      Jewel," along with the John Cale session, yum.

      At 06:15 PM 7/21/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >NME thing on upcoming TV reissues
      >http://www.nme.com/news/105631.htm
      >It looks like there's an official issue of Live at The Old Warldorf
      >too. I love that cd , I've got it as Live Adventures.
      >Its pretty incredible. I always love that hypnotic binary thing they
      >get into in the middle of improvisatrion. I think there's a lot of it
      >on there.
      >With a bit of luck this'll prompt the official release of the Patti
      >Smith WKBAI set. Bout time that got heard.
      >wonder what the bonus tracks on the TV lps are?
      >I did a Google search but couldn't find anything beyond the fact that
      >the cds are due.
      >Anybody know anything?
    • A.S. Van Dorston
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 21, 2003
        Correction, it was Eno, not Cale.

        Early songs from Neon Boys-Richard Hell era, a half dozen of which were
        demoed in 1974
        Bluebird
        Hot Dog
        Fuck Rock & Roll (I'd Rather Read a Book)
        Horizontal Ascension
        Enfant Terrible
        (I Fell Into) (The Arms Of) Venus De Milo
        One Top Of Another
        High-Heeled Wheels
        Change Your Channels
        Eat The Light
        (You're So) Hard On Love (later became "Without A Word" Verlaine solo)
        Blank Generation
        Love Comes In Spurts
        You Lied To Me

        Island Sessions, 1975 (co-produced by Richard Williams & Brian Eno)
        Prove It
        Venus De Milo
        Marquee Moon
        Double Exposure
        Friction

        Self-Produced 4-Track Demo, 1975
        Hard On Love
        Fire Engine
        Friction
        I Don't Care
        Little Johnny Jewel (became 2-sided single)

        Other live favorites from '75-'78
        Poor Circulation
        Breakin' In My Heart
        Judy
        Kingdom Come (different song than the one on Verlaine's first solo album)

        At 10:46 PM 7/21/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >Thank gawd, finally. A double CD of Marquee Moon was originally announced
        >nearly two years ago.
        >
        >I would guess (hope) they'd include their original single, "Little Johnny
        >Jewel," along with the John Cale session, yum.

      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2003
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "A.S. Van Dorston" <anthony@f...>
          wrote:
          > Thank gawd, finally. A double CD of Marquee Moon was originally
          announced
          > nearly two years ago.
          >
          > I would guess (hope) they'd include their original single, "Little
          Johnny
          > Jewel," along with the John Cale session, yum.

          Here's the rest of the info on the TV stuff, just got it from
          another list. After not being able to find anything on google about
          the new stuff
          TELEVISION'S MOON RISES AGAIN
          Rhino Releases Expanded, Remastered Marquee Moon And Adventure,
          While Rhino Handmade Releases Live At The Old Waldorf
          On September 23

          LOS ANGELES - One of the most influential rock bands of the last 30
          years
          will finally get the recognition it deserves when Rhino Records
          releases
          Television's MARQUEE MOON and ADVENTURE in expanded and remastered
          form on September 23. Both titles' booklets are loaded with unseen
          photos, lyrics and liner notes by experimental guitarist Alan Licht.
          In addition, Rhino
          Handmade will release LIVE AT THE OLD WALDORF on the same date.
          Television's 1977 debut album, MARQUEE MOON, immediately earned
          critical raves and inspired a number of musicians and bands. Tom
          Verlaine's vocals and fret work, Richard Lloyd's angular guitar
          playing, and Billy Ficca and Fred Smith's halting, unexpected drum
          and bass work all combined to reassert a guitar-based music during a
          time when soft-rock and disco ruled the airwaves. The band also
          ventured‹very successfully‹into extended sonic explorations, despite
          punk's call for shorter, faster songs.
          In addition to MARQUEE MOON's original eight flawless cuts (including
          the searing opener, "See No Evil" and the epic title track), this
          expanded version includes previously unreleased alternate takes
          of "See No Evil,"
          "Friction," and "Marquee Moon," a previously unreleased instrumental
          track, and the never-before-on-CD, full-length version of the
          single "Little Johnny Jewel," which pre-dated the album.
          Television's sophomore disc, 1978's ADVENTURE, refined the band's
          sound a bit with some elegant production, but the songs and playing
          are just as compelling as on MARQUEE MOON. ADVENTURE's original eight
          songs are augmented here by three previously unreleased
          tracks: "Adventure," an early version of "Glory," and the single mix
          version of "Ain't That Nothin'," as well as an instrumental rehearsal
          run-through of "Ain't That Nothin', included as a hidden bonus track.
          The Rhino Handmade title, LIVE AT THE OLD WALDORF, captures Television
          on June 29, 1978 at their incendiary best, playing tunes from MARQUEE
          MOON and ADVENTURE, as well as "Little Johnny Jewel"
          and "Satisfaction." The concert was originally recorded for radio
          broadcast, and made available only as a promotional album. Often
          bootlegged in varying degrees of quality, the show receives its first
          official release ever here, with
          pristine remastered sound.
          Available at regular retail outlets and at www.rhino.com, MARQUEE MOON
          and ADVENTURE each carry an SRP of $17.98. LIVE AT THE OLD WALDORF is
          available only through RhinoHandmade.com for $19.98. Get ready to
          turn on the Television!
        • Lang Thompson

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
              Does anyone know when in the world Rhino is going to reissue Tim
              Buckley's Starsailor and Blue Afternoon? They could at least do the
              Rhino Handmade versions. Is there some kind of problem with
              Straight/Bizarre? Isn't Beefheart's Lick My Decals out of print too?

            • A.S. Van Dorston
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 15 11:09 PM
                I've been listening to Joe Henderson * Elements (w/ Alice Coltrane), A
                Coltrane's Ptah The El Daoud, Herbie Hancock's Complete WB Recordings. I
                recently used the term Cosmic Jazz to describe 'em. Is this term widely used?

                The bloke below calls it Kozmigroov, ha ha. Anyone got their own
                definitions, favorites?

                http://www.freeform.org/music/kozmigroov-index.html

                What is Kozmigroov?

                Kozmigroov* is a transgressive improvisational music which combines
                elements of psychedelia, spirituality, jazz, rock, soul, funk, and African,
                Latin, Brazillian, Indian and Asian influences. At its most accomplished,
                Kozmigroov is both expansive and highly rhythmic, and simultaneously finds
                connections with the mind, soul and body.

                Examples span: from the intergalactic electronic offerings of Sun Ra
                (arguably, the Godfather of Kozmigroov) to the spacejazz of Miles Davis'
                Bitches Brew and Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi, Crossings, Sextet to the
                transcendental jazz of Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders to the spiritual
                Afro-centric soul declarations found on the Impulse!, Strata East,
                BlackJazz and Tribe labels to the dense apocalyptic jazz-rock of the Tony
                Williams Lifetime, Miles' Dark Magus/Agharta/Pangaea axis, and the Last
                Exit quartet to the cosmic funk of Herbie Hancock, The Headhunters, Lonnie
                Liston Smith, and Charles Earland to the European progressive refractions
                captured on the MPS and ECM imprints to the Asian amalgams of Terumasa
                Hino, Masabumi Kikuchi and Shunzo Ohno to the pan-global fusions explored
                by Don Cherry, Jon Hassell and Charlie Mariano to the jagged free funk of
                Ornette Coleman's original Prime Time and its harmolodic alumni (Ronald
                Shannon Jackson, James Blood Ulmer) to a host of recent Nu-Jazz revisionary
                sides including Erik Truffaz, Kirk DeGiorgio, Ashley Beadle, and The
                Cinematic Orchestra

                This site is dedicated to all of the above, in addition to the seemingly
                endless list of other musicians whose music resides either within or across
                these nominal categories. Regardless of whether it's realistic to
                circumscribe such diverse elements, there remains a common aesthetic at
                work here. Kozmigroov can be said to represent a crossbreed which arises
                through the breakdown of artistic boundaries and biases, a hybrid which
                embraces other influences and new technologies, all the while maintaining a
                sense of connection to the original spirit of the music.

                Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
                www.fastnbulbous.com

              • humazoo
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17 10:55 AM
                  Cosmic Jazz, Spiritual Jazz, Transcendental Jazz, Ecstatic Jazz or
                  Kozmigroov!
                  "Good Music" would also suffice!
                  I'm actually a UK based Kozmigroov DJ.
                  I would be interested to know whether ther are any simailar DJ's out
                  there, suitable venues, or musicians that could use a more unusual
                  warm up DJ.
                  I would also be interested in hearing whether any of you would be
                  interested in attending events that feature the recodrings of the
                  artists mentioned in the "Kozmigroov Index".
                  For more info visit: <www.humazoo.co.uk> or subscribe to the
                  wire "announcement" group for updates on forthcoming events.
                  Also, does anybody know whether or not there is any live footage of
                  Alice Coltrane knocking around?

                  DJ Ape 11
                  <www.humazoo.co.uk>