second call from BART at Wreck This Mess

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      FREE RADIO UNDER COMMERCIAL CLOUDS, HEAVY PRIVATIZATION PRECIPITATION EXPECTED

      EARLY JULY:

      I am writing under the name Wreck This Mess to call on all Free Radio
      makers at stations like WFMU, KPSN, Radio Libertaire, micro radio,
      internet radio and all musicians, producers, yodelers!!, samplers,
      CIRCUS PERFORMERS, post-modern sonic thieves, indie label owners,
      venues, and poets and writers, and avid supporters of indie
      culture/music who have ever found airplay or pleasure here at WTM or
      Radio 100 or Radio Patapoe or extended interviews or write ups on my
      WTM playlist to write a letter addressing the constricting of the air
      waves by the selling off of the frequencies to the highest bidders.
      Or all those who have received homemade tapes of old shows... how
      about the time I bought you drinks... time is tight but minds are
      not. so invest a few micro-managed minutes to write a letter.

      Thus far 18 [not the 80 earlier reported!] WTM allies have written
      very articulate letters. This is a very nice bundle but remains a
      VERY small percentage of the total number of people, organizations,
      bands, axe-wielders, grammy award winners on my mailing list.

      support the Dutch Free Radio Stations in their protest against Dutch
      National Radio Frequency Policy which currently threatens the very
      existence of Free Radio in the Netherlands.

      If you appreciate stations like Radio 100, Radio Patapoe, Radio Vrije
      Keyser and a half dozen other free radio stations around the
      Netherlands and/or cannot live without my programming, my dedication
      to new/unusual music, free radio [17 years now], the hypothetical
      exposure my playlists give under-regarded music/musicians then I
      implore you to write a letter and send it to

      radiofestatie@...

      with a cc: ninplant@...

      I recommend you give a very short introduction of who you are
      [musician, band, DJ, fan, listener, important person in the world
      of culture in/outside the Netherlands] to help paint an accurate
      picture of the international extent of free radio and its dedication
      ot adventurous radio for its own sake and the sake of those creating
      interesting sounds / texts.

      I also recommend to add where you are writing from, that you are
      coming via Wreck This Mess [optional of course] and then WHY. Keep it
      short but don't skimp on emotion or indignation. Read on for more
      details.

      The Dutch government's recently implemented Zerobase Radio Frequency
      Policy is designed to control and regulate free use of the ether by
      commercial radio stations. On May 23 this year most available space
      on the Dutch airwaves was auctioned off to the highest bidder. It
      should come as no surprise to anyone that as a result of this auction
      it has become clear that for the next eight years only the biggest,
      most commercially and
      mainstream oriented stations will be able to exploit the remaining
      Dutch frequencies.

      The government's claim to preserve diversity in the new airwave
      distribution has proven to be a fraud. The ZeroBase Policy
      acknowledges only two kinds of radio: public and commercial. Any
      radio formats that don't fit within either of these categories have
      in effect become criminal organisations. Zerobase's nasty little
      brother "Project Etherflits", an initiative of the Department of
      Economic Affairs, has since March of this year been pro-actively
      identifying and tracking "illegal" broadcasters throughout the North
      and East of the country, confiscating studio equipment and imposing
      large fines. Many stations have already been forced off the air.

      Although Free Radio culture in the Netherlands has a long history
      [the 3 stations have all been around for nearly 20 years with
      relatively-speaking few problems until now] and remains innovative,
      popular and highly valued as an important cultural and political
      resource, Free Radio is neither public or commercial. Thus, under
      the Zerobase legislation these stations will never be granted a legal
      broadcasting permit. Nowhere in Europe have legislators been so blind
      to active, independent radio-making culture. This needs to be
      changed. During its twenty-five years of existence Dutch Free Radio
      has been a beacon of Dutch and international fringe cultures,
      alternative political action and social change.

      WE URGENTLY DEMAND THAT THE DUTCH GOVERNMENT ACKNOWLEDGES
      NON-COMMERCIAL, NON-PUBLIC FREE RADIO AS A SEPARATE LEGAL RADIO
      CATEGORY WITHIN THE NATIONAL FREQUENCY POLICY. THAT IS TO SAY THAT
      LOW-COST, FREE-ACCESS DOMAINS IN THE ETHER MUST BE CREATED.

      Retain your own human dignity now. Write to radiofestatie@...
      [cc: ninplant@...]

      The letters will be posted <http://www.vrijeradio.nl> and other
      places but we also plan a print version to send as a booklet to
      concerned parties in the media and government.

      your tireless and humble sonic slave,

      bart / wreck this mess [amsterdam]