WRECK: Sexophones

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 217: Saxophony*

      Maandag, 5 Mei 2003 (17.00 to 19.00)

      SIMUL-streaming <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "saxophone players are like jackdaws - they have to steal a lot of stuff."
      o Simon Haram, renowned classical saxophonist

      Tempete bleu > Les Poules [1]
      Eos > Ornette Coleman [2]
      Untitled > Borbetomagus [3]
      That Flank > Blurt [4]
      Anthem to Eternity > Charles Gayle [5]
      Willow Weep for Me > Stan Getz [6]
      Slow Blues > Rahsaan Roland Kirk [6]
      Ornettology > Jean Derome [7]
      Weet je nog wel die Avond in de Regen > Dick Remelink [8]
      Bob > Lounge Lizards [6]
      Church of Bank > Blurt [4]
      Cutting to the Chase > Jean Derome [7]
      S'Ignorer > Steven Brown [9]
      Untitled > Ned Rothenberg [3]
      John McLaughlin > Wayne Shorter [10]
      Soul Twist > King Kurtis [11]
      Chasin the Trane > John Coltrane [12]
      Go Slow > Fela Anikulapo Kuti [13]
      Sipan > Andreas Wagner [14]
      Havin A Wild Weekend > Dave Clark Five [15]
      Abstract of You > Al Cohn [16]
      Flamenco Sketches Alternate Take > Cannonball Adderley & John Coltrane [17]
      Heartattack & Vine > Plas Johnson & Tom Waits [18]

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      * Due to circumstances controlled by the muse of disorder, these
      playlists have found their own lack of sequentiality.

      [1] "Prairie Orange" on Actuelle <www.actuellecd.com> With Joane Hétu
      on sax in this all Canadian-esse experimental ensemble. Freeform
      haunting music made of threads and bits, hesitations and lush
      electronic breathing and some interesting vocals.

      [2] "Ornette on Tenor" on Atlantic. OC on tenor saxophone. Broadened
      the voice of improv jazz sax who supposedly believed in the equality
      of all a combo's players whether soloist or accompanist. Great stuff.

      [3] "Apollo and Marsyas" on Apollohuis <apollohs@...>. great
      compilation of improvisers from this label/temple that allowed improv
      musicians free space and reign in Eindhoven, NL. Includes Derek
      Bailey, Elliot Sharp, Oliveros, Carl Stone, Lucier, Curran, Shelley
      Hirsch, Radigue, O'Rourke, Minton, Bittova and many many more. Highly
      recommended. Borbetomagus hang mikes in the bells of their saxs, then
      close them up. Intense as a freight truck driving through your
      temples.

      [4] "Celebrating the Bespoke Cell of Little Ease" on CDR.
      Extemporaneous bop poesie, punk stripped down sounds with jazzy
      punctuation and rock sax. Ted Milton is one of my fave 'rock' poets.
      And that minimal tooting still moves me somehow. The sax goes haiku.

      [5] "Howard Mandel: Future Jazz" on Knitting Factory. Gayle on Tenor
      Sax. Author Mandel picks the future of jazzŠ

      [6] "Wreck This Mess" This is from an old tape of an old show devoted
      to saxophones I did in September 19-friggin-91.

      [7] "All is Bright, But it is Not Day" on Actuelle
      <www.actuellecd.com> JD on alto sax with Fred Frith, Pierre Tanguay
      and Myles Boisen.

      [8] "40+ Toppers" on MCR. DR is from the renowned Birdland Combo.
      With Henk Borghuis on accordion and Huub Janssen on drums.

      [9] A Propos d'un Paysage" on Crammed Discs. A great album. SB on
      alto sax among other instruments, with Benjamin Lew, Marc Hollander,
      Vini Reilly, Rami Fortis and Alain Levebvre.

      [10] "Bitches Brew" on Columbia. WS on soprano Sax with Miles Davis,
      Lenny White, DeJohnette, Brooks, and McLaughlinŠ Davis goes boogie
      electric and entered the realm of eternal controversy. Does fusion
      jazz suck? Not here. It blows.

      [11] KK was one of the great rockin' saxophonists. This may be one of
      my favorite 'urban' songs along with Jackie Wilson's "No Pity in the
      Naked City."

      [12] "The Other Village Vanguard Tapes" on Impulse. JC on tenor sax.

      [13] "Up Side Down" on London. Boogie down productions indeed! FAK on
      tenor and alto sax.

      [14] "Vieles ist Eins" on Accretions <www.accretions.com> AW on tenor
      sax with Joscha Oetz, Barre Phillips, and Greg Stuart. AW is a
      composer, improv musician, visual artist and computer musician from
      Cologne.

      [15] Tight mop-top rockers who were the best dressed of the British
      invasion. I also still like their sound.

      [16] Soulful hipster jazz. One of the muses of Tom Waits.

      [17] Kind of Blue" on Columbia. With Miles Davis, of course, on one
      of the most famous and most documented of all jazz discs ever.
      Cannonball on alto sax and Coltrane of teno sax.

      [18] "Used Songs" on Rhino. Waits is the main proselytizer of bete
      noir bop pop jazz. With a kind of poetry that reminds me of a
      painting by Edward Hopper with Charles Bukowski sitting at the
      luncheon counter slurping some greasy greyish soup concoction. Great
      alternate take.

      ~~~~~

      o The Saxophone is a sexy instrument for a variety of reasons: the
      sound, its basic voluptuous shape that conjures up both a woman's
      form and a penis, and the way it is held so that it emerges loudly
      out of the crotch area. The saxophone is usually made of brass
      although a child's is usually made of plastic as was a prototype
      radical serious one that never caught on. It has 18 or so tone holes
      controlled by keys. The sax gets its name from the 'inventor',
      Adolphe Sax who patented it in 1846. It was based on some earlier,
      less satisfying designs, one of which was called, interestingly
      enough, the 'alto fagotto' which was basically a mini-bassoon with a
      clarinet mouthpiece. There are a variety of saxophones: the
      sopranino, alto, tenor, baritone and the bass.

      Although it was formally legitimized by [French] army bands, it was
      Sousa that made it familiar. Despite these disqualifications from
      coolness, it would be not military nor classical music, but its
      introduction into jazz is what would make the sax what it is today:
      the most popular of instruments among jazz musicians. It is
      relatively easy to play for a reed instrument although don't ask me
      to play one. The only instruments I play are CD-players, cassette
      decks, turntables, a ballpoint pen and a computer keyboard. The most
      common jazz saxes are the B flat tenor and E flat alto. It's use in
      rock has been spare although memorable. I really like those
      simplistic toots by bands like the Dave Clark Five, the Psychedelic
      Furs, Blurt, and others.

      o I want to personally THANK everybody who responded with indignant
      and/or articulate letters sent to the website concerning the free
      radio stations being squeezed out in the privatised [homogenized /
      dry cleaned] airwaves owned by the typical boors who know nothing of
      culture, fascination, pleasant surprise, and that the intake of music
      does not necessarily make one a consumer. I sent my letter out to my
      entire playlist-list and over 80 people responded with more still
      fluttering in. We will post them on a variety of sites as well as
      download them, print them out and bundle them up to be sent to
      various sympathetic powers within the governmentŠ

      o There's a [relatively] new show on PTP [yes, we're still on the air
      while Radio 100 gears up to come back thru some crack in the ether];
      it's called "Alternative Radio" <http://www.alternativeradio.org/> on
      Mondays 14:00. It is usually some cultural radical or political
      leftist or critic/analyst like Chomsky or Scott Ritter, the testy
      ex-Republican betrayed by his ideologues who comes out swinging
      against the ruling party hypocrites.

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      __________________

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon. To
      appear soon: excerpts from my scandal-delicious paris novel, PARIS
      SEX TETE, a review of the spoken word works of Roberto Valenza...