Re: [thewire] Brazilian music

  • John Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
      talking of Brazilian music, I have been heavily into
      tropicalia and have got quite a few related albums.
      The one I cannot find is the first Gal Costa album:
      anyone have any clues where to find??

      --- metrolounger <barryholloway@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      I was lucky enough to hear Vinicius Cantuaria perform
      a couple of
      weeks ago in London.

      Does anyone have recommendations of recordings by him
      (I have the
      2001 album Vinicius) or related artists?

      By the way, for anyone based in the UK, the South Bank
      Show this
      Sunday is about Caetano Veloso - 22:45 on ITV1.

      More info at
      http://www.southbankshow.com/coming_shows/show/24.

      Thanks
      Barry

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      Terms of Service.

    • metrolounger

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
          No, not that one - the 1969 solo one, much more
          tropicalia-sounding (at least if the one track I've
          heard from it is anything to go by)...

          --- metrolounger <barryholloway@...> wrote:
          ---------------------------------
          If you mean the 1968 album Domingo, with Caetano
          Veloso, you can get
          it as an import on Amazon.

          talking of Brazilian music, I have been heavily into
          tropicalia and have got quite a few related albums.
          The one I cannot find is the first Gal Costa album:
          anyone have any clues where to find??

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Terms of Service.

        • A.S. Van Dorston
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
            http://www.dustygroove.com/brazilcd.htm#C

            Not counting Domingo with Caetano, Gal Costa is the first, Gal is second, I believe.

            Gal Costa -- Gal Costa (1969) . . . CD . . . $13.99 (Item: 10737)
            Polygram (Brazil), 1969 Condition: New Copy [input] View Cart
            One of the most fantastic early MPB albums ever! Insanely wonderful mix of psychedelic production with post-bossa Brazilian vocals and pop stylings. Great mix of material by Caetano Veloso, Jorge Ben, Gilberto Gil, and others, and all put together with a mind-blowing mix of groovy electronics, breezy piano, and crazy orchestrations. A must for any fan of Brazilian music from this era, and includes many classics like "Nao Identificado", "Lost in the Paradise", "Que Pena", and more! Wild electronics, cool harsh guitars, jazzy rhythms, and Gal's beautiful voice soaring over the top of it all in heavenly lyrical tones. Classic stuff, and the sort of recording that legends are made of!

            Gal Costa -- Gal (1969) . . . CD . . . $13.99 (Item: 11168)
            Philips/Mercury (Brazil), 1969 Condition: New Copy [input] View Cart
            Nicely priced Brazilian reissue of this massive Tropicalia album by Gal -- offered here with great sound and the original cover art! The groove is totally over the top Tropicalia stuff, with lots of wild guitars, cool electronics, mad studio work, and beautiful vocals by Gal herself. The set features loads of tracks by Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil, and the two of them even guest on a performance of "Pais Tropical". Other tracks include her famous recording of "Tuareg", plus "Meu Nome E Gal", "The Empty Boat", "Pulsars E Quasars", and "Cultura E Civilizaco". Essential!

            --- metrolounger wrote:
            ---------------------------------
            If you mean the 1968 album Domingo, with Caetano
            Veloso, you can get
            it as an import on Amazon.

            talking of Brazilian music, I have been heavily into
            tropicalia and have got quite a few related albums.
            The one I cannot find is the first Gal Costa album:
            anyone have any clues where to find??

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Terms of Service.

          • Jason Witherspoon
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
              At 9:44 AM +0000 7/1/03, metrolounger wrote:
              >If you mean the 1968 album Domingo, with Caetano Veloso, you can get
              >it as an import on Amazon.
              >

              >Subject: Re: [thewire] Brazilian music
              >

              >talking of Brazilian music, I have been heavily into
              >tropicalia and have got quite a few related albums.
              >The one I cannot find is the first Gal Costa album:
              >anyone have any clues where to find??

              They've got both of her s/t 1969 albums at Dusty Grooves for $13.99 a
              pop-- the superior-sounding recent Brazilian reissues, too--

              http://www.dustygroove.com
              --

              Jason Witherspoon
              ---------

              "...almost any idea which jogs you out of your current abstractions
              may be better than nothing." -- Alfred North Whitehead

              http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm
            • churchofanthrax
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2003
                --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, John Jones <jahminguk@y...> wrote:

                > talking of Brazilian music, I have been heavily into
                > tropicalia and have got quite a few related albums.
                > The one I cannot find is the first Gal Costa album:
                > anyone have any clues where to find??

                Vinyl or CD?

                For CD, I believe someone already mentioned Dusty Groove. They
                absolutely rule. The Brazilian issues are supposedly nice, but I have
                not heard them. I have a Japanese CD that sounds good too.

                For vinyl, both of Gal's awesome late 60s albums were re-pressed in
                Brazil in the 80s by the original label (Philips) and pop up on eBay a
                lot, for not that much money.

                Actually, if you look hard, you can be rewarded with cheap originals,
                if you're so inclined. I just got the LP in question, a quite nice
                one, for about ten bucks, along with the one after that, "Gal" for not
                much more, and that one used to go for big coin, probably 'cause all
                the crate diggers wanted the "Tuareg" track... so be vigilant on eBay
                if you want to get it on vinyl, go to Dusty Groove
                (www.dustygroove.com) for the CDs.

                Cheers,
                Piotr
              • John Jones
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
                  cheers for tips everyone - vinyl would be nice but I'm
                  impatient so have already ordered it from Dusty Grove.

                  --- churchofanthrax <churchofanthrax@...>