Re: [thewire] PM Carey, our own "special/different" "contributor"

  • chux
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 16, 2003
      It shits me too. But only because I thought-wished-hoped that the
      people who read this list might have some respect for one another
      that transcended the desire to make a buck. However, the wire list is
      only a psuedo-community, almost anyone can join, and anyone can
      leave. You, me, we, have no chance of regulating what gets posted to
      this list.

      If you think that someone is probably never going to have anything
      interesting to say just filter them off to the trash (they will never
      know).

      chx

      --

      "Quantify quality,
      qualify quantity."

    • Andrew Fleming
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2003
        On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 10:53 PM, chux wrote:

        > It shits me too. But only because I thought-wished-hoped that the
        > people who read this list might have some respect for one another
        > that transcended the desire to make a buck. However, the wire list is
        > only a psuedo-community, almost anyone can join, and anyone can
        > leave. You, me, we, have no chance of regulating what gets posted to
        > this list.
        >
        > If you think that someone is probably never going to have anything
        > interesting to say just filter them off to the trash (they will never
        > know).
        >
        > chx

        Let me tell you about the 20-30 spam messages I get each day from bots
        that crawl the 'Mail to Owner' link off of the list's site at Yahoo.
        They're also of the for-sale type, but they're certainly not from
        people trying to sell me records I might want to hear.

        Anyway. There is, in fact, an announcement/marketplace list:
        to it if you like, but I have no part in it and don't communicate with
        the list owner.

        Concerning what's posted to this list, as chux says, it's up to each of
        us to separate wheat from chaff, and the criteria for each vary widely
        between individuals. Attempts at serious moderation in the past have
        failed, simply because I can't sit at a desk reading every post to the
        list, every day. Besides which, a truly moderated list would require
        me to approve every post before it goes through, which would destroy
        any sort of coherence of conversation here since I only do list admin
        stuff twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.

        While Carey's for-sale posts are prima facie spam (and so are many
        others), chasing down every person who posts a for-sale or auction
        message is a waste of my time. On top of which, Carey's posts are
        clearly of a different class than, for example, our friend
        crazyspic70@..., who I just booted for posting OT crap about
        his 'tunes' and a site featuring games or some nonsense. This list is
        different from when it started, and the amount of spam is only one of
        the changes. I'm honestly sorry it's that way, and I wish the list
        were more like it was when I signed up for it five years ago, but the
        world is a different place than it was five years ago, and the amount
        of spam out there is only one of the changes. Perhaps mailing lists
        are no longer the best fora for discussing music, particularly as many
        new types of online communities have become widely successful in the
        time since this list began.

        Responding to spam has become primarily a technology problem, as the
        amount of spam exceeds any level of human effort. The IT industry is
        currently failing to respond adequately, and along with it, Yahoo does
        not provide adequate tools for me to control spam sent to this list.
        That appears to be changing. Yahoo has made some recent changes that
        make it slightly easier to deal with some spammers, especially hit and
        run style spammers (those who sign up for the list, send a message or
        two, and leave immediately); beyond that, anybody here who reads cnet
        or /. probably knows there are major anti-spam efforts in the works in
        the industry and in legislative bodies in the US and across the EU. If
        and when these new technologies are rolled out, and some stories say
        they could be implemented as early as this fall, I hope Yahoo will make
        them available to list owners. In the meantime, if anybody really
        wants to peruse every post to this list to make sure the big bad
        spammers aren't ruining our quality of life, send me a message off-list
        and I will make make you a moderator.

        -Andrew