Re: [thewire] country/jazz stuff

  • Jim Flannery
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2003
      Stevo wrote to wire:

      S> is Moon Mullican any cop?
      S> what about Spade Cooley or Merle Travis?

      Funny, I was just listening to Moon this morning (well, early afternoon
      for most people) ... yeah, definitely good stuff tho I don't know that
      I'd really need more than one album's worth; crucial piece of the
      proto-rock puzzle. Swingin' stuff with a sense of humor ... "Grampa
      Stole My Baby" and "Pipeliner's Blues" are just yr perfect
      dorking-around-in-PJs waiting-for-coffee-machine soundtrack; and "Seven
      Nights to Rock" beats the crap outta Haley (IMHO) even if it doesn't
      make it to Sun/Chess levels. Hey, us balding fat guys need R'n'R role
      models too.

      Spade? OK, he was a thug IRL but either I've gotten the wrong stuff or
      he didn't feel like wasting the nasty outside the home, cause what I've
      heard is like the Lawrence Welk of western swing. Oh so oh-so-polite.

      --
      Jim Flannery newgrange@...

      When you can't give anything, you can also receive nothing.
      Through giving, you also receive. You can never stop giving.
      When you have nothing more to give, you're dead.
      -- Mustafa Tettey Addy

      np: George Rochberg, _Music for the Magic Theater_
      nr: Henri Bergson, _Matter and Memory_