country/jazz stuff

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2003
      I'm trying to work out what other of those Proper boxes I need.
      http://www.propermusic.com
      Picked up the Cool Cole one earlier this week.
      I think the King Cole Trio was pretty great Oscar Moore is a great
      guitarist. Nat Cole was a pretty tasty pianist.
      Looks like he took the 'King' nickname from the trio rather than vice
      versa.

      I'm thinking of getting the Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Louis
      Jordan and Count basie sets for sure. probably the Machito and Dizzy
      Gillespie, possibly the Django Reinhart

      Wondering about the country stuff
      Ernest Tubb is he great?
      Milton Brown and the musical Brownies -got a great write up in Ugly
      Things a coupla years back.
      Bob Wills

      I think the Bluegrass, Hillbilly Boogie and Doughboys, Playboys &
      Cowboys: The Golden Years Of Western Swing are all must haves. Am I
      right?

      Just thinking that there are probably people here who know the area
      way better than I do. I've just been reading through the Rough Guide
      to Country so know a bit more than i did last week but still not a
      great deal

      is Moon Mullican any cop?
      what about Spade Cooley or Merle Travis?

      Also the female jazz vocalists Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie
      holiday any good?
      Any views?
      Stevo
      Np Slayer Reign in Blood Agrssive perfector
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2003
        Stevo wrote to wire:

        S> is Moon Mullican any cop?
        S> what about Spade Cooley or Merle Travis?

        Funny, I was just listening to Moon this morning (well, early afternoon
        for most people) ... yeah, definitely good stuff tho I don't know that
        I'd really need more than one album's worth; crucial piece of the
        proto-rock puzzle. Swingin' stuff with a sense of humor ... "Grampa
        Stole My Baby" and "Pipeliner's Blues" are just yr perfect
        dorking-around-in-PJs waiting-for-coffee-machine soundtrack; and "Seven
        Nights to Rock" beats the crap outta Haley (IMHO) even if it doesn't
        make it to Sun/Chess levels. Hey, us balding fat guys need R'n'R role
        models too.

        Spade? OK, he was a thug IRL but either I've gotten the wrong stuff or
        he didn't feel like wasting the nasty outside the home, cause what I've
        heard is like the Lawrence Welk of western swing. Oh so oh-so-polite.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        When you can't give anything, you can also receive nothing.
        Through giving, you also receive. You can never stop giving.
        When you have nothing more to give, you're dead.
        -- Mustafa Tettey Addy

        np: George Rochberg, _Music for the Magic Theater_
        nr: Henri Bergson, _Matter and Memory_