Re: Simon Reynolds' uberhipster index

  • ingthibault
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, jamello@a... wrote:

      > I believe he opened this up to vote from the outside (fellow crits) as an
      > update of a similar list he did many years ago, so it's not his opinion only. i
      > also imagine some of it is in jest (note multiple mentions of jefferson
      > airplane/starship across the different categories...someone's idea of taking the
      > piss re: hipster lists, me thinks).

      I would think that a writer like Reynolds would be pretty self-aware of his
      'uberhipster' status, and is obviously having a joke at his own expense, and that of
      the other uberhipsters he consulted, incl. Kodwo Eshun, Sasha Frere-Jones et al.

      If the joke's still not apparent, note the inclusion of obvious faux consultants, Noam
      Chomsky for example! Then there's consultants who I'm not sure whether they're fake
      or not, ie. Diamanda Galas, Sasha & Digweed, Jen Porridge (Genesis P. Orridge
      pisstake?), Rowland Cave (Bad Seeds pisstake?).

      xx ingrid xx
    • Gary Atkins
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
        Manny-
        Thanks for your reflective list...this same period was my college period. I
        might only add early OMD and Ultravox, and singles that stand out for me,
        like Freur: "Doot Doot(?)", Kissing the Pink: "Big Man Restless", Urban
        Verbs: "When the Dance Is Over", and Pete Shelley: "Witness the Change". I
        was a huge Severed Heads fan as well, and think I'll grab my turntable and
        Heads collection next time I'm in my mom's basement and put together a
        compilation or two...

        GA

        np (at work): Soliman Gamil-A Map Of Egypt Before the Sands

        >From: <manny@...>
        >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [thewire] Simon Reynolds' uberhipster index
        >Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:10:08 -0400 (EDT)
        >

        >I'm digging that jab at the "Bad Music Period" because 83-86 are exactly
        >the duration of my high school years. I remember buying new albums
        >released within that period of Cabs & Cocteaus & Neubauten & DAF &
        >Tuxedomoon & Coil & Negativland & Merzbow & Borbetomagus & Nurse With
        >Wound & Severed Heads & Hunting Lodge & Psychic TV & various Rock In
        >Opposition (Art Bears? Etron Fou? etc). I remember paging
        >frantically through Sound Choice and OP, tuning in fanatically to college
        >radio shows where an unbelievable array of new music would be played,
        >ordering religiously from RRR and Subterreanean, connecting furiously with
        >the international cassette culture from Algebra Suicide to Illusion of
        >Safety. Of course I also remember buying lots of New Wave. No apologies
        >made for purchasing Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream', SSQ, Siouxsie, Laurie
        >Anderson, at least two Three O'Clock albums, XTC, or the entire Shriekback
        >catalog up to & including 'Big Night Music.' Or for that matter, the
        >anti-war song "State of the Nation" by poofy haired one-hit wonders
        >Industry which has been resonating with me recently for mostly lyrical
        >reasons.
        >
        >"Every day it's tomorrow, and to dance is all I need."
        > "Danseparc", Martha & the Muffins

      • Stevo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Atkins" <gatki@h...> wrote:
          > Manny-
          > Thanks for your reflective list...this same period was my college
          period. I
          > might only add early OMD and Ultravox, and singles that stand out
          for me,
          > like Freur: "Doot Doot(?)",

          funny that they went on to be Underworld innit?

          Kissing the Pink: "Big Man Restless",

          only recall the Last Party chart hit thing

          Urban
          > Verbs: "When the Dance Is Over", and Pete Shelley: "Witness the
          Change". I
          > was a huge Severed Heads fan as well,

          they never connected with me, all I've heard seems static. maybe I
          missed their good stuff.

          was weird seeing that reynolds list yesterday after seeing 25th
          hour. i was thinking that Liquid Liquid might get some exposure
          they're mixed in and out of White Lines i the club scene -probably
          pretty cliched since I think most people know that the Cavern
          bassline is the basis of the other song). I think Reynolds has them
          down as Passe. They sounded pretyty great at that volume anyway, so
          did Cymande
          Stevo
          Np Gira/Martz Stitches