Re: [thewire] Simon Reynolds' uberhipster index

  • manny@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
      I'm digging that jab at the "Bad Music Period" because 83-86 are exactly
      the duration of my high school years. I remember buying new albums
      released within that period of Cabs & Cocteaus & Neubauten & DAF &
      Tuxedomoon & Coil & Negativland & Merzbow & Borbetomagus & Nurse With
      Wound & Severed Heads & Hunting Lodge & Psychic TV & various Rock In
      Opposition (Art Bears? Etron Fou? etc). I remember paging
      frantically through Sound Choice and OP, tuning in fanatically to college
      radio shows where an unbelievable array of new music would be played,
      ordering religiously from RRR and Subterreanean, connecting furiously with
      the international cassette culture from Algebra Suicide to Illusion of
      Safety. Of course I also remember buying lots of New Wave. No apologies
      made for purchasing Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream', SSQ, Siouxsie, Laurie
      Anderson, at least two Three O'Clock albums, XTC, or the entire Shriekback
      catalog up to & including 'Big Night Music.' Or for that matter, the
      anti-war song "State of the Nation" by poofy haired one-hit wonders
      Industry which has been resonating with me recently for mostly lyrical
      reasons.

      "Every day it's tomorrow, and to dance is all I need."
      "Danseparc", Martha & the Muffins
    • stuff1424@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
        ingthibault@... writes:

        > 2/ It seems like only yesterday. Dance music?s cycles run about half the
        > duration of
        > rock?s cycles--instead of 20 years, the optimum period is 10 years. Despite
        > the
        > surprisingly non-appearance of a major ardkore/darkcore revival (probably
        > because
        > people started pining for and recycling that era within only a few years of
        > its demise),
        > we?re gearing up for a massive ?94-the-year-jungle-broke ragga-amen-rinse
        > revival.
        > For a while now, ?ardkore dealers have been devoting more space to tunes
        > from 94-
        > 95 and prices have been rising accordingly. Other signs include the
        > Soundmurderer
        > CD, figures like DJ Shitmat and Enduser, Luke Vibert who has cut five old
        > skool jungle
        > singles and has the Amen Andrew Vol. 1 record sooncome on Rephlex, while
        > Mike
        > Paradinas?s Planet Mu label is putting out a compilation of Remarc?s classic
        > amen
        > tunes. Power moves here entail moving out well beyond the obvious knowns
        > (forget
        > about the serious middlebrown zone of
        > Rage/Grooverider/Fabio/Reinforced/Goldie,
        > and especially Bukem --even though ?Demon?s Tune? was one of the first Amen
        > tunes) and expand the ?auteurisation? syndrome to the figures who never got
        > the iD/
        > Face/Muzik/Mixmag treatment: Remarc, Bizzy B, Randall, DJ Nut Nut, Kemet
        > Crew,
        > Suburban Base/Ganja (Marvellous Cain, Hype, Pascal/Johnny Jungle, Noise of
        > Art,
        > Flex, Krome & Time), Dead Dred/Second Movement/Back 2 Basics, DMS & Boneman,
        > Ram/Shimon/Andy C, Gappa G & Hyper Hyper, Formation/SS, plus the countless
        > ragga-sploitation bandwagon-jumping dancehall relicks of the era. Ultra
        > power
        > moves: Leviticus ?Burial? and anything by M-Beat especially the ones not
        > featuring
        > General Levy.

        Amen. I've been waiting for this to happen- the Soundmurderer CD on Violent
        Turd brought back many memories and I only wanted more of the same.
        Unfortunately all I found was the horrid Jungle Massive style vocal comps flaunting
        tracks pretty much with that later 'Steely Dan sheen' sound, covered with nasty
        rudeboy cartoon artwork that kids used to dress themselves up with to rob the
        local sweetshop. Those were the days...

        Rich.

      • ingthibault
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, jamello@a... wrote:

          > I believe he opened this up to vote from the outside (fellow crits) as an
          > update of a similar list he did many years ago, so it's not his opinion only. i
          > also imagine some of it is in jest (note multiple mentions of jefferson
          > airplane/starship across the different categories...someone's idea of taking the
          > piss re: hipster lists, me thinks).

          I would think that a writer like Reynolds would be pretty self-aware of his
          'uberhipster' status, and is obviously having a joke at his own expense, and that of
          the other uberhipsters he consulted, incl. Kodwo Eshun, Sasha Frere-Jones et al.

          If the joke's still not apparent, note the inclusion of obvious faux consultants, Noam
          Chomsky for example! Then there's consultants who I'm not sure whether they're fake
          or not, ie. Diamanda Galas, Sasha & Digweed, Jen Porridge (Genesis P. Orridge
          pisstake?), Rowland Cave (Bad Seeds pisstake?).

          xx ingrid xx
        • Gary Atkins
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
            Manny-
            Thanks for your reflective list...this same period was my college period. I
            might only add early OMD and Ultravox, and singles that stand out for me,
            like Freur: "Doot Doot(?)", Kissing the Pink: "Big Man Restless", Urban
            Verbs: "When the Dance Is Over", and Pete Shelley: "Witness the Change". I
            was a huge Severed Heads fan as well, and think I'll grab my turntable and
            Heads collection next time I'm in my mom's basement and put together a
            compilation or two...

            GA

            np (at work): Soliman Gamil-A Map Of Egypt Before the Sands

            >From: <manny@...>
            >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [thewire] Simon Reynolds' uberhipster index
            >Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:10:08 -0400 (EDT)
            >

            >I'm digging that jab at the "Bad Music Period" because 83-86 are exactly
            >the duration of my high school years. I remember buying new albums
            >released within that period of Cabs & Cocteaus & Neubauten & DAF &
            >Tuxedomoon & Coil & Negativland & Merzbow & Borbetomagus & Nurse With
            >Wound & Severed Heads & Hunting Lodge & Psychic TV & various Rock In
            >Opposition (Art Bears? Etron Fou? etc). I remember paging
            >frantically through Sound Choice and OP, tuning in fanatically to college
            >radio shows where an unbelievable array of new music would be played,
            >ordering religiously from RRR and Subterreanean, connecting furiously with
            >the international cassette culture from Algebra Suicide to Illusion of
            >Safety. Of course I also remember buying lots of New Wave. No apologies
            >made for purchasing Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream', SSQ, Siouxsie, Laurie
            >Anderson, at least two Three O'Clock albums, XTC, or the entire Shriekback
            >catalog up to & including 'Big Night Music.' Or for that matter, the
            >anti-war song "State of the Nation" by poofy haired one-hit wonders
            >Industry which has been resonating with me recently for mostly lyrical
            >reasons.
            >
            >"Every day it's tomorrow, and to dance is all I need."
            > "Danseparc", Martha & the Muffins

          • Stevo
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Atkins" <gatki@h...> wrote:
              > Manny-
              > Thanks for your reflective list...this same period was my college
              period. I
              > might only add early OMD and Ultravox, and singles that stand out
              for me,
              > like Freur: "Doot Doot(?)",

              funny that they went on to be Underworld innit?

              Kissing the Pink: "Big Man Restless",

              only recall the Last Party chart hit thing

              Urban
              > Verbs: "When the Dance Is Over", and Pete Shelley: "Witness the
              Change". I
              > was a huge Severed Heads fan as well,

              they never connected with me, all I've heard seems static. maybe I
              missed their good stuff.

              was weird seeing that reynolds list yesterday after seeing 25th
              hour. i was thinking that Liquid Liquid might get some exposure
              they're mixed in and out of White Lines i the club scene -probably
              pretty cliched since I think most people know that the Cavern
              bassline is the basis of the other song). I think Reynolds has them
              down as Passe. They sounded pretyty great at that volume anyway, so
              did Cymande
              Stevo
              Np Gira/Martz Stitches