Re: [thewire] Simon Reynolds' uberhipster index

  • Rioual Jc
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
      > RANK OUTSIDERS FOR 2004
      > [a gamble--major ahead-of-the-curve cool potential >
      versus total humiliation]

      > ......... Jean-Michel Jarre.....

      As a french guy who was a teen in the 80s I truly
      appreciate this potential come-back of the real father
      of Electronica.
      (Not these posh arty technocrats from Duseldorf)

      "Quatrieme Rendez-vous" remembers me of the first time
      of I have danced with a girl.
      Well, yes, I know, you don't care about my life,
      but I wanted to underline how music can change
      your life.

      My modest contribution to the world of lists

      Swans - Feel Good Now
      Coil - Live 2 (Moscow)
      Spectre - The second coming
      Shirley Collins - Anthems in eden

      Regards
      Jc

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
        duncan.campbell@... writes:

        > I think that perhaps there may be a couple of points being missed here ...

        Take your time... What do you mean anyway? Did Simon Reynolds forget
        something on his shopping list or are we not fully appreciating the Jefferson Airplane
        joke...

        Rich (aka Mr. Yawn)

      • manny@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
          I'm digging that jab at the "Bad Music Period" because 83-86 are exactly
          the duration of my high school years. I remember buying new albums
          released within that period of Cabs & Cocteaus & Neubauten & DAF &
          Tuxedomoon & Coil & Negativland & Merzbow & Borbetomagus & Nurse With
          Wound & Severed Heads & Hunting Lodge & Psychic TV & various Rock In
          Opposition (Art Bears? Etron Fou? etc). I remember paging
          frantically through Sound Choice and OP, tuning in fanatically to college
          radio shows where an unbelievable array of new music would be played,
          ordering religiously from RRR and Subterreanean, connecting furiously with
          the international cassette culture from Algebra Suicide to Illusion of
          Safety. Of course I also remember buying lots of New Wave. No apologies
          made for purchasing Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream', SSQ, Siouxsie, Laurie
          Anderson, at least two Three O'Clock albums, XTC, or the entire Shriekback
          catalog up to & including 'Big Night Music.' Or for that matter, the
          anti-war song "State of the Nation" by poofy haired one-hit wonders
          Industry which has been resonating with me recently for mostly lyrical
          reasons.

          "Every day it's tomorrow, and to dance is all I need."
          "Danseparc", Martha & the Muffins
        • stuff1424@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
            ingthibault@... writes:

            > 2/ It seems like only yesterday. Dance music?s cycles run about half the
            > duration of
            > rock?s cycles--instead of 20 years, the optimum period is 10 years. Despite
            > the
            > surprisingly non-appearance of a major ardkore/darkcore revival (probably
            > because
            > people started pining for and recycling that era within only a few years of
            > its demise),
            > we?re gearing up for a massive ?94-the-year-jungle-broke ragga-amen-rinse
            > revival.
            > For a while now, ?ardkore dealers have been devoting more space to tunes
            > from 94-
            > 95 and prices have been rising accordingly. Other signs include the
            > Soundmurderer
            > CD, figures like DJ Shitmat and Enduser, Luke Vibert who has cut five old
            > skool jungle
            > singles and has the Amen Andrew Vol. 1 record sooncome on Rephlex, while
            > Mike
            > Paradinas?s Planet Mu label is putting out a compilation of Remarc?s classic
            > amen
            > tunes. Power moves here entail moving out well beyond the obvious knowns
            > (forget
            > about the serious middlebrown zone of
            > Rage/Grooverider/Fabio/Reinforced/Goldie,
            > and especially Bukem --even though ?Demon?s Tune? was one of the first Amen
            > tunes) and expand the ?auteurisation? syndrome to the figures who never got
            > the iD/
            > Face/Muzik/Mixmag treatment: Remarc, Bizzy B, Randall, DJ Nut Nut, Kemet
            > Crew,
            > Suburban Base/Ganja (Marvellous Cain, Hype, Pascal/Johnny Jungle, Noise of
            > Art,
            > Flex, Krome & Time), Dead Dred/Second Movement/Back 2 Basics, DMS & Boneman,
            > Ram/Shimon/Andy C, Gappa G & Hyper Hyper, Formation/SS, plus the countless
            > ragga-sploitation bandwagon-jumping dancehall relicks of the era. Ultra
            > power
            > moves: Leviticus ?Burial? and anything by M-Beat especially the ones not
            > featuring
            > General Levy.

            Amen. I've been waiting for this to happen- the Soundmurderer CD on Violent
            Turd brought back many memories and I only wanted more of the same.
            Unfortunately all I found was the horrid Jungle Massive style vocal comps flaunting
            tracks pretty much with that later 'Steely Dan sheen' sound, covered with nasty
            rudeboy cartoon artwork that kids used to dress themselves up with to rob the
            local sweetshop. Those were the days...

            Rich.

          • ingthibault
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, jamello@a... wrote:

              > I believe he opened this up to vote from the outside (fellow crits) as an
              > update of a similar list he did many years ago, so it's not his opinion only. i
              > also imagine some of it is in jest (note multiple mentions of jefferson
              > airplane/starship across the different categories...someone's idea of taking the
              > piss re: hipster lists, me thinks).

              I would think that a writer like Reynolds would be pretty self-aware of his
              'uberhipster' status, and is obviously having a joke at his own expense, and that of
              the other uberhipsters he consulted, incl. Kodwo Eshun, Sasha Frere-Jones et al.

              If the joke's still not apparent, note the inclusion of obvious faux consultants, Noam
              Chomsky for example! Then there's consultants who I'm not sure whether they're fake
              or not, ie. Diamanda Galas, Sasha & Digweed, Jen Porridge (Genesis P. Orridge
              pisstake?), Rowland Cave (Bad Seeds pisstake?).

              xx ingrid xx
            • Gary Atkins
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                Manny-
                Thanks for your reflective list...this same period was my college period. I
                might only add early OMD and Ultravox, and singles that stand out for me,
                like Freur: "Doot Doot(?)", Kissing the Pink: "Big Man Restless", Urban
                Verbs: "When the Dance Is Over", and Pete Shelley: "Witness the Change". I
                was a huge Severed Heads fan as well, and think I'll grab my turntable and
                Heads collection next time I'm in my mom's basement and put together a
                compilation or two...

                GA

                np (at work): Soliman Gamil-A Map Of Egypt Before the Sands

                >From: <manny@...>
                >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [thewire] Simon Reynolds' uberhipster index
                >Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:10:08 -0400 (EDT)
                >

                >I'm digging that jab at the "Bad Music Period" because 83-86 are exactly
                >the duration of my high school years. I remember buying new albums
                >released within that period of Cabs & Cocteaus & Neubauten & DAF &
                >Tuxedomoon & Coil & Negativland & Merzbow & Borbetomagus & Nurse With
                >Wound & Severed Heads & Hunting Lodge & Psychic TV & various Rock In
                >Opposition (Art Bears? Etron Fou? etc). I remember paging
                >frantically through Sound Choice and OP, tuning in fanatically to college
                >radio shows where an unbelievable array of new music would be played,
                >ordering religiously from RRR and Subterreanean, connecting furiously with
                >the international cassette culture from Algebra Suicide to Illusion of
                >Safety. Of course I also remember buying lots of New Wave. No apologies
                >made for purchasing Simple Minds 'New Gold Dream', SSQ, Siouxsie, Laurie
                >Anderson, at least two Three O'Clock albums, XTC, or the entire Shriekback
                >catalog up to & including 'Big Night Music.' Or for that matter, the
                >anti-war song "State of the Nation" by poofy haired one-hit wonders
                >Industry which has been resonating with me recently for mostly lyrical
                >reasons.
                >
                >"Every day it's tomorrow, and to dance is all I need."
                > "Danseparc", Martha & the Muffins

              • Stevo
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 6, 2003
                  --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Atkins" <gatki@h...> wrote:
                  > Manny-
                  > Thanks for your reflective list...this same period was my college
                  period. I
                  > might only add early OMD and Ultravox, and singles that stand out
                  for me,
                  > like Freur: "Doot Doot(?)",

                  funny that they went on to be Underworld innit?

                  Kissing the Pink: "Big Man Restless",

                  only recall the Last Party chart hit thing

                  Urban
                  > Verbs: "When the Dance Is Over", and Pete Shelley: "Witness the
                  Change". I
                  > was a huge Severed Heads fan as well,

                  they never connected with me, all I've heard seems static. maybe I
                  missed their good stuff.

                  was weird seeing that reynolds list yesterday after seeing 25th
                  hour. i was thinking that Liquid Liquid might get some exposure
                  they're mixed in and out of White Lines i the club scene -probably
                  pretty cliched since I think most people know that the Cavern
                  bassline is the basis of the other song). I think Reynolds has them
                  down as Passe. They sounded pretyty great at that volume anyway, so
                  did Cymande
                  Stevo
                  Np Gira/Martz Stitches