Re: answers on an electronic postcard and they'd better be good :)

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 11:53 AM
      Actually, I've seen quite a few references to Talk Talk and Laughing
      Stock in the magazine over the years. As for Radiohead, what are you
      talking about? I seem to remember them being on the cover. They cover
      lots of major label type stuff. As for Flaming Lips, I guess like
      some of us, they can smell a rat. Yeah, too bad about the Yo La Tengo
      cover too- sub-velvets journalistic wankery drone.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, stuff1424@a... wrote:
      > For some reason, in a message dated 31/05/03 03:04:47 GMT Daylight
      Time,
      > emptyj4@h... lost his mind:
      >

      > > : why are the Flaming Lips never celebrated?
      > >
      > > who cares ?
      > >

      > Experimental pop designed for 4 CD players that can't be heard same
      way
      > twice? The idea more than anything is worthy of discussion but I
      guess it's just
      > flawed major label wank compared to barely bothered Yo La Tengo.
      >
      > We all love The Wire here. My point- there's always something
      slightly up
      > it's arse (a discussion done to death I'm sure but like he said,
      who cares?).
      > Clearly the only magazine proud to rummage through the archives of
      musical
      > history making sure we recognise every cult release from the past,
      whether
      > overlooked or celebrated at the time, but selectively quoting as if
      to sneer at major
      > label bands every so often fluking a masterpiece. The Lips once
      sprung
      > something masterful... the exception is they did it again and
      again! Those arrogant
      > hippy wannabes. Only until each group are long dead and buried will
      there
      > accidentally be a slipped reference
      to 'Zaireeka', 'Screamadelica', 'The Holy
      > Bible', 'Laughing Stock' or 'Ok Computer' in this type of mag. I'm
      guessing the
      > writers are always doing this but when it reaches editing stage
      these titles are
      > stored as words banned from final press. Keep it underground boys,
      but taunt us
      > every so often with a famous looking face on the cover, only to
      discuss the
      > b-sides. Sorry to go off on one.
      > The alternative has been ambiguous stuff on whether Miss E... So
      Addictive
      > should really be added to the shopping cart along with the latest
      Merzbow, and,