Wreck the Pre-Post War Ambience

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2003
      wreck thiS meSS on Radio 100 ° Amsterdam ° 99.3 FM

      Pyscho-audiographic Dérives #114: Wreck the Pre-Post War Ambience
      + Live webcast <www.desk.nl/~dfm/>
      http://www.radio100.nl/_eng/live_stream/index.html

      Friday 19 April 2003 [24:00 - 3:15 AM]

      "This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals,
      despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the
      stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate
      tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence
      toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or
      to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated
      persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read
      these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life,
      re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book,
      dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very
      flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in
      its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face
      and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of
      your body..."
      o Walt Whitman

      "I find dub's destruction of a structure a political as well as a
      musical statement. If you are trying to question things lyrically,
      you should also question musical orthodoxy."
      o Mark Stewart
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      Media Tactique > A_Dontigny & Diane Labrosse [1]
      The Üblog Tide > Jaap Blonk / Claus van Bebber / Carl Ludwig Hübsch [2]
      Burst > Shelley Hirsch [3]
      Fellini's Pickup Truck > Prime Time Sublime Community Orchestra [4]
      War of Dreams > Shelley Hirsch [3]
      Deserted Land > Rehkmire [5]
      Monty Hall > Third Bass [6]
      Tenderly / Club Enchantment > Shelley Hirsch [3]
      Public Transportation > Claudia Bonarelli [7]
      Blue Moon > Shelley Hirsch [3]
      Sitting in a Room > Shelley Hirsch [8]
      Lullaby > Coin Gutter [9]
      Reaching for Jerry > Shelley Hirsch [8]
      Rebel Tactics > Mossman [10]
      Privatise the Air I > Gary Clail & the On-U Sound System [11]
      Blessed Are Those Who Struggle > Mark Stewart & the Maffia [12]
      Mash It Up / Total Destruction > DJ Scud [13]
      The Paranoia of Power > Mark Stewart & the Maffia [12]
      Kill or Be Killed > DJ Scud [13]
      High Ideals and Crazy Dreams > Mark Stewart & the Maffia [12]
      Next One Dead > DJ Scud [13]
      Privatise the Air II > Gary Clail & Andy Fairley [11]
      Bloody Nora > DJ Scud [13]
      From the Craddle > Michael Stearns [14]
      Fateh Guerilla > Muslimgauze [15]
      The Playground > Ashra [14]
      Hamman Jackal > Muslimgauze [15]
      Get Thee Behind > Soma [14]
      Azzazzin > Muslimgauze [15]
      Counting on New Friends > Orbital vs Bump 'n' Grind [14]
      The Resistance of the Cell > Mark Stewart & the Maffia [16]
      The Whore of Babylon > Pan Sonic [14]
      We're Doing Well Now > Barbed [14]
      Rumours of War > June Tabor & Billy Bragg [17]
      Nails in the Wall > Speedy J & Kait Gray [14]
      Dreamer > Mark Stewart & the Maffia [16]
      Say Hello to Allah > Aphex Twin vs Black Lung [14]
      Street Fight > Durutti Column [18]
      Church Bells > Speedy J vs Bass Communion vs HIA vs Grant Wakefield [14]
      An End > Muslimgauze [15]
      Dance Music for Dying Soldiers > Perverted by Desire [19]
      Luban Ya Habibi [exc] > Mozart A. Chanine [20]
      No News is Good News > Naseer Shamma & Bass Communion [14]
      Perfect World > Holger Czukay [21]
      Dog in America > Bola [14]
      To the Grave > Amba [14]
      Adios > Weather Report [22]
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      [1] "Telepathie" on No Type <www.notype.com>. Brilliant ambiences
      from the back of a radio sinking into a polluted body of questionable
      water. Canadians Diane Labrosse [ex girl art-rocker] has worked with
      Iku Mori, Martin Tetreault & Zeena Parkins. & Dontigny is from the
      Napalm Jazz Collective.

      [2] "Imp Rovi Sors" on Kontrans <www.toondist.nl> Three Stooges in
      the Cabaret Voltaire communicating with omnivores.

      [3] "States" on Tellus <www.harvestworks.org>. Genius in a packet of
      laughs. She yodels in a Borscht Belt venue in outer space. Tender
      stories of real people.

      [4] "The Prime-Time Sublime" on Corporate Blob
      <www.primetimesublime.com>. sonic scrapings from a bargain basement
      strip mall. Tube socks sounds.

      [5] "The Deviant Lounge" on Land <www.phantomproduction.com>. the
      outpost lounge along the spiritual Maginot Line between what we
      imagine and what we perceive.

      [6] "The Cactus Album" on Def Jam. I used to like this a lot more.
      It's still fun but these guys sure tried hard to be cool.

      [7] "No Type Sampler" on No Type <www.notype.com>. Sampler of edgy
      sonic material from the Canadian cacophony tundra.

      [8] "Far In Far Out" on Tzadik. Remixes of "States" with several new cuts.

      [9] "All Your Dreams Are Meaningless" on No Type <www.notype.com>.
      Vancouver industrial kitsch and abstract experimentalism as a
      reaction to the failed social engineering experiments of Bauhaus.

      [10] "Mossman vs. the World Bank" on Dispensation. Some of the most
      rootsy dub available but without at all sounding tired or formulaic.
      Among the world's best. From Montreal.

      [11] "End of the Century Party" on On-U Sound vinyl. Great anthemic
      album of leftist sloganeering to a dub beat. GC was one of those
      enthusiasts and eternally hopeful about the power of the word. Most
      of the lyrics are worked over versions of Mark Stewart material.

      [12] "Learning to Cope with Cowardice" on On-U. Fleischer, Rumsfeld,
      Cheney, Bush held prisoner in a concrete effluence drainpipe. Massive
      soundsystem, CD player on repeat all cuts. "Learning to Cope" for 24
      hours. Come back to find 4 stinky puddles of excrement. Perhaps my
      favorite all-time disc.

      [13] "Three the Hard Way: The Ultimate Soundclash" on Cross Fade.
      This makes hardcore, noise, industrial, punk sound like the Partridge
      Family covering the Carpenters. Aesthetic jihad.

      [14] "The Fire This Time: Sub-Rosa Radio Mix" produced for Radio
      Libertaire / WTM-Paris by guy-Marc Hinant and Gauthier [Quatermass).
      Courtesy of Laurent [1/2 Panou] at Wreck This Mess in Paris.
      Brilliant mix of text, analysis and ambience that helps set the
      historical/hysterical framework for the current amnesia surrounding
      the hypocrisy of the just fought war.

      [15] "The Inspirational Sounds of Muslimgauze" on Universal Egg. The
      perfect blend of the ever-defiant ally of all Arab liberation
      movements. I had trouble with his implacable and stubborn
      liberationist notions that never addressed fundamentalist tyrannies
      but his music revolutionized the hybrization of industrial, dub, and
      Arab fusions.

      [16] "As The Veneer of Democracy Begins to Fade" on Stumm. Set this
      one off in the Pentagon PA System. Run for cover.

      [17] Earnest anti-war sentiments from the Pete Seeger of the 80s.

      [18] Perhaps one of the most moving "sad songs" I have ever played
      repeatedly on my radio show. Sad lamenting guitars and strings in a
      duet with the sounds of an actual urban guerilla street skirmish.
      Incredibly moving even 20 years hence.

      [19] "Dance Music for Dying Soldiers" on ADM, 1990.

      [20] "Luban Ya Habibi Operetta" recorded in Beirut/Damascus on Byblos, 1979.

      [21] Upbeat sarcasm from proto-sampling electro-wizard HC. "I'm
      living in a perfect worldŠ"

      [22] "Sweetnighter" on CBS, 1973 vinyl. Fusion continues to
      reverberate with confusion and controversy. The best/worst thing that
      ever happened to jazz. WR were one of the main perpetrators and they
      created some heavenly atmospheres.

      ~~~~~~~~~~

      * Fantastic Concert the night after this broadcast at the Bimhuis
      <info@...> in Amsterdam. Shelley Hirsch [master vocalist of
      1000 voices] and Anthony Coleman [master piano deconstructor]. Rode
      bikes through a light rain - the Amsterdam spring has been amazing,
      the hottest, sunniest, driest in 150 years or so - and into the
      beautiful Bimhuis with 2 beautiful bike-riding babes. Talked with
      Hirsch at the bar. While chatting she is scribbling away
      left-handedly on sheets of lined notebook paper. I ask her what she
      is doing. She is writing down lyrics. But this was supposed to be a
      Kurt Weill night. Yes, but with mirthful improv. The thing I like
      most about Hirsch is her incredible command of 1000 voices that come
      from East New York tenements but also from Tuva and Pluto. What makes
      it even more inspiring is that as an avant gardist she is not afraid
      to be entertaining so there is plenty of schtik and references to
      Borscht Belt and Spike Jones and stand up but she is also
      compellingly visual like Merce Cunningham on laughing gasŠ

      * I have been turning to the Music of Mark Stewart
      <www.uncarved.demon.co.uk/music/maffia/> since 1986 whenever world
      events begin to make me anxious and angry. The war is now over
      neverending just beginning. His music continues to resonate because
      it remains a wonderful mix of high frequency noise aesthetics,
      ferocious pandemonium, dub, experiment, anger, anarchy, and political
      instigation. This has seldom ever been the case. Most political music
      tends toward the realm of message at the expense of compelling
      composition [often Ochs/Seeger/Guthrie - I love them but they were
      stuck in the mode of messenger, using music only as an envelope as
      the sending methodŠ] or the music is compelling but the message over
      time seems embarrassingly simplistic [some Gang of Four, some of the
      early political rap Ice Cube/T even Public Enemy] and so you have it,
      this combo of great music with people like Brecht/Weill and this is
      why they remain so vital. Resonance into timelessness remains one of
      the great mysteries of art - the magic of speaking to the times and
      then spinning out into timelessnessŠ

      He not only makes a call to action, and urges deep
      psycho-geographical reflection, he also offers a critique of
      mediation / the tools of oppression / the intangible tentacles of the
      consumer society / commodity fetishism and "the recuperation of
      psychosis." If you want to read more then do a web search for "A
      Bluffer's Guide to Mark Stewart & the Maffia", one of the most
      brilliant single web pages of musical writing I have found.

      * Operation Iraqi Looting [exc]
      April 27, 2003 By FRANK RICH [NYT]

      Let it never be said that our government doesn't give a damn about
      culture. It was on April 10, the same day the sacking of the National
      Museum in Baghdad began, that a subtitled George W. Bush went on TV
      to tell the Iraqi people that they are "the heirs of a great
      civilization that contributes to all humanity." And so what if
      America stood idly by while much of the heritage of that civilization
       its artifacts, its artistic treasures, its literary riches and
      written records  was being destroyed as he spoke? It's not as if we
      weren't bringing in some culture of our own to fill that unfortunate
      vacuum. It was on April 10 as well, by happy coincidence, that the
      United States announced the imminent arrival of nightly newscasts
      from Dan Rather, Jim Lehrer and Brit Hume on newly liberated Iraqi
      TV. Better still, the White House let it be known, again on that same
      day, that it was seeking $62 million from Congress for a 24-hour
      Middle East Television Network that would pipe in dubbed versions of
      prime-time network programming.

      Goodbye, dreary old antiquity! Hello, "Friends"!

      There is much we don't know about what happened this month at the
      Baghdad museum, at its National Library and archives, at the Mosul
      museum and the rest of that country's gutted cultural institutions.
      Is it merely the greatest cultural disaster of the last 500 years, as
      Paul Zimansky, a Boston University archaeologist, put it? Or should
      we listen to Eleanor Robson, of All Souls College, Oxford, who said,
      "You'd have to go back centuries, to the Mongol invasion of Baghdad
      in 1258, to find looting on this scale"? Nor do we know who did it.
      Was this a final act of national rape by Saddam loyalists? Was it
      what Philippe de Montebello, of the Metropolitan Museum, calls the
      "pure Hollywood" scenario  a clever scheme commissioned in advance
      by shadowy international art thieves? Was it simple opportunism by an
      unhinged mob? Or some combination thereof?...

      "What you are seeing is a reaction to oppression," said Ari Fleischer
      on April 11, arguing that looting, however deplorable, is a way
      station to "liberty and freedom." If only the Johnson administration
      had thought of this moral syllogism, it could have rationalized the
      urban riots that swept America after the assassination of Martin
      Luther King. "Stuff happens!" said Donald Rumsfeld, who likened the
      looting to the aftermath of soccer games and joked to the press that
      the scale of the crime was a trompe l'oeil effect foisted by a TV
      loop showing "over and over and over . . . the same picture of some
      person walking out of some building with a vase." As Jane Waldbaum,
      president of the Archaeological Institute of America, summed up the
      defense secretary's response to the tragedy, he "basically shrugged
      and said, `Boys will be boys.' "...

      In 1943, American armed forces fielded a monuments, fine arts and
      archives section to try to protect cultural treasures as we
      prosecuted the war in Europe. Lynn H. Nicholas, who wrote the
      definitive account of that story in "The Rape of Europa," told me
      that she had been invited to give lectures "to reserve units doing
      serious study on the securing of cultural artifacts" in recent years.
      "They were being prepared for the eventuality of something like
      this," she says. "Why weren't they deployed?" According to Mr.
      Rumsfeld, it would be "a stretch" to say our failure to take such
      measures was "a defect in the war plan." Rather, he said, the looting
      is just a reminder that freedom is "untidy"  or, in this case,
      literally just another word for nothing left to lose.

      Now that the pillaging of the Baghdad museum has become more of a
      symbol of Baghdad's fall than the toppling of a less exalted artistic
      asset, the Saddam statue, all the president's men are trying to put
      Humpty Dumpty back together again...

      The tragedy for America is not just the loss itself but the naked
      revelation of our worst instincts at the very dawn of our grandiose
      project to bring democratic values to the Middle East. By protecting
      Iraq's oil but not its cultural motherlode, we echo the values of no
      one more than Saddam, who in 1995 cut off funds to the Baghdad
      museum, pleading the impact of sanctions, yet nonetheless found
      plenty of money to pour into his own palaces and their opulent hordes
      of kitsch. We may have been unable to protect tablets containing
      missing pieces of the Gilgamesh epic. But somehow we did manage to
      secure the lavish homes of Saddam's hierarchy, where the cultural
      gems ranged from videos of old James Bond movies to the collected
      novels of Danielle Steel.

      [thanx to all those who have sent meaningful posts / links etc. :
      Eddie du Foret, Scott at Paniculture, Dave the Shyboy, Black Sifichi
      <http://www.blacksifichi.com>, Fabio at WFMU, Carola at On the QT,
      Frank van Schaik, Pieter the Biker, and others...]

      Congrats to Frank van Schaik who begins doing a weekly radio show at
      Radio 100 [15:00 en 16:00] "De Lucht In" Or "Up into Thin Air" 50%
      music [ecentric pop] and 50% [global politics]

      Radio100 is one of Amsterdam's free radio stations local & global
      (livestream via www.radio100.nl), and has been in the air for 20
      years now. No ads, no commercials, no BS, no hype, just amazing
      radio. It is now being threatened by the national privatisation of
      the airwaves, the FM/AM bands will be divided up to the highest
      bidders and government apparatchiks hope that this action and move
      toward profit-driven radio will squeeze out all the
      experimental/activist riffraff. If you are interested in more info
      about this situation check out the website www.radio100.nl

      ~~~~~~~~~~

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      __________________

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon.
      Appearing: excerpts from my scandal-delicious paris novel, PARIS SEX
      TETE.