Re: [thewire] playn

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 12 , May 5 11:31 AM
      At 8:34 AM -0700 5/5/03, A.S. Van Dorston wrote:
      >I totally disagree. I reviewed both side by side, listening to each
      >version, track-to-track. First of all, the difference is
      >noticeable, but not that big. The mixes are hard to tell apart
      >sometimes, other than the live drums. All the same hip-hop type
      >samples are still in there. I think the mix with the live drums has
      >the edge on the original version. It has more energy.
      >Significantly, N.E.R.D. did not intend to release the first mix.
      >They were pissed when Virgin put it out in the U.K. without their
      >consent. They just considered it a demo, from what I read. And it
      >sounds like it (though it's still really good). Don't believe the
      >hype. http://www.fastnbulbous.com/nerd_in.htm

      Further "hype" from me, the hype-merchant:

      Live drums are nice, sure, but the guitars on the new version stink
      of rap-metal. Limp Bizkit, the full crap monty. If you
      side-by-sided 'em & couldn't tell much difference, maybe there's a
      3rd album out there that I'm missing out on, 'coz the 2 I'm talking
      about sound waaaay different.

      >Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...> wrote:At 1:49 PM +0000
      >5/4/03, Stevo wrote:
      >>N.E.R.D. In Search Of
      >>Poppy rap stuff.
      >>Deeply influenced by that early 80s Electro type stuff.
      >>I was really reminded of the Planet Patrol +Jonzun Crew stuff I
      >>picked up last year.
      >>I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
      >>artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
      >>studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
      >>the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
      >>surfy guitar licks on it too.
      >
      >They should've stuck w/the earlier "hip-hop" mix; far, far superior
      >imo. And it's been available on a Virgin France cd for a while--
      >think we might even still have a few:
      >
      >http://www.midheaven.com/labels/nonexc/virgin.france.html
      >--

      Jason Witherspoon
      ---------
      --- ---
      --- ---
      ---------
      ----O----
      ---------

      "...almost any idea which jogs you out of your current abstractions
      may be better than nothing." -- Alfred North Whitehead

      http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm
    • A.S. Van Dorston
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5 12:33 PM
        I think the guitars are significantly different on just a couple cuts. One could associate the tones to nu/spice metal I suppose, or it might remind one of old Fishbone. It sounds fine to me. Maybe I'll upload both to my SoulSeek folder and people can hear from themselves.
        Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...> wrote:At 8:34 AM -0700 5/5/03, A.S. Van Dorston wrote:
        >I totally disagree. I reviewed both side by side, listening to each
        >version, track-to-track. First of all, the difference is
        >noticeable, but not that big. The mixes are hard to tell apart
        >sometimes, other than the live drums. All the same hip-hop type
        >samples are still in there. I think the mix with the live drums has
        >the edge on the original version. It has more energy.
        >Significantly, N.E.R.D. did not intend to release the first mix.
        >They were pissed when Virgin put it out in the U.K. without their
        >consent. They just considered it a demo, from what I read. And it
        >sounds like it (though it's still really good). Don't believe the
        >hype. http://www.fastnbulbous.com/nerd_in.htm

        Further "hype" from me, the hype-merchant:

        Live drums are nice, sure, but the guitars on the new version stink
        of rap-metal. Limp Bizkit, the full crap monty. If you
        side-by-sided 'em & couldn't tell much difference, maybe there's a
        3rd album out there that I'm missing out on, 'coz the 2 I'm talking
        about sound waaaay different.

        >Jason Witherspoon wrote:At 1:49 PM +0000
        >5/4/03, Stevo wrote:
        >>N.E.R.D. In Search Of
        >>Poppy rap stuff.
        >>Deeply influenced by that early 80s Electro type stuff.
        >>I was really reminded of the Planet Patrol +Jonzun Crew stuff I
        >>picked up last year.
        >>I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
        >>artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
        >>studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
        >>the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
        >>surfy guitar licks on it too.
        >
        >They should've stuck w/the earlier "hip-hop" mix; far, far superior
        >imo. And it's been available on a Virgin France cd for a while--
        >think we might even still have a few:
        >
        >http://www.midheaven.com/labels/nonexc/virgin.france.htm

      • mark winkelmannn
        Message 3 of 12 , May 26 3:49 AM
          > >I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
          > >artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
          > >studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
          > >the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
          > >surfy guitar licks on it too.

          Chiming in late on this subject but is there any easy way to tell the two
          versions apart. I bought one a while after I read the first reviews but a
          few months later it started appearin in the in-store displays but with the
          same sleeve which made me think it was the newer version. So is there an
          obvious tracklist giveaway?

          Cheers

          Mark

        • Rioual Jc
          Message 4 of 12 , May 27 2:45 PM
            On the website www.allmusic.com I have read
            the following

            > Coil spent the next period of its existence
            > exploring visual media: in late 1984 they recorded
            >a rendition of the Soft Cell smash "Tainted Love,"
            >producing a widely banned, hallucinogenic video clip
            >featuring Mark Almond as the Angel of Death; despite
            >considerable controversy at home, the video
            >ultimately found its way to the archives of the
            >Museum of Modern Art.

            Does anyone have more information about this video ?
            Is it possible to see it ?
            Is it worth ? Why was it so controversial ?

            Cheers

            Jean-Christophe

          • michael j
            Message 5 of 12 , May 27 5:33 PM
              I recall seeing this video circa 1986-87. I do NOT recall Mark Almond
              in the video, however, it has been a while and my memory does not
              always serve me so well. The controversy you mention probably stems
              from the video depicting the death of a young AIDS victim. A 12"
              single was also released, the proceeds from which benefitted AIDS
              research &/or outreach programs. I still have this record I am NOT
              selling it on ebay ! As for the video I do not know where or if it
              can be seen, especially since this was back in their SOME BIZZARE
              days.
              and cheers to you mon ami, Michael

              --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Rioual Jc <jcrioual2@y...> wrote:

              > On the website www.allmusic.com I have read
              > the following
              >
              > > Coil spent the next period of its existence
              > > exploring visual media: in late 1984 they recorded
              > >a rendition of the Soft Cell smash "Tainted Love,"
              > >producing a widely banned, hallucinogenic video clip
              > >featuring Mark Almond as the Angel of Death; despite
              > >considerable controversy at home, the video
              > >ultimately found its way to the archives of the
              > >Museum of Modern Art.
              >
              > Does anyone have more information about this video ?
              > Is it possible to see it ?
              > Is it worth ? Why was it so controversial ?
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Jean-Christophe

            • Jim Flannery
              Message 6 of 12 , May 27 11:10 PM
                michael wrote to wire:

                mj> I recall seeing this video circa 1986-87. I do NOT recall Mark Almond
                mj> in the video, however, it has been a while and my memory does not
                mj> always serve me so well.

                Almond *is* in the video, playing the "Angel of Death" -- he walks into
                the hospital room wearing a black leather jacket and stands (smiling,
                IIRC) at the foot of the bed at the moment of death.

                It was banned? Really? I guess it says something that merely hinting
                that AIDS patients were human beings was controversial back in those
                pre-ACTUP days, but I don't really remember much reaction to it beyond
                "wow, great video" ... but then, I lived in San Francisco. It got a fair
                bit of play on the USA Network at the time, as part of an often-repeated
                Some Bizarre special on "Night Flight" which also featured Einstürzende
                Neubauten going at it, complete with demolition equipment, on an
                abandoned freeway in a wintry landscape ... can't remember the song
                offhand but it was something from _Drawings of O.T._.

                --
                Jim Flannery newgrange@...

                When you can't give anything, you can also receive nothing.
                Through giving, you also receive. You can never stop giving.
                When you have nothing more to give, you're dead.
                -- Mustafa Tettey Addy

                np: V/A, _Il Canto di Malavita - La Musica della Mafia_
                nr: Simon Winchester, _The Professor and the Madman_
              • andrij.
                Message 7 of 12 , May 27 11:52 PM
                  On Tue, 27 May 2003 23:10:15 -0700, Jim Flannery wrote:
                  >It was banned?

                  Banned in what sense of the word?

                  It's part of the MoMA (NYC)'s film and video collection.
                  --
                  andrij.
                • delentuck@attbi.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 28 8:45 PM
                    This video, along with Windowpane, was included on "Black Box" video compilation (2 tapes) released by Wax Trax about 10 years ago.