Re: [thewire] playn

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Message 1 of 12 , May 5, 2003
      I totally disagree. I reviewed both side by side, listening to each version, track-to-track. First of all, the difference is noticeable, but not that big. The mixes are hard to tell apart sometimes, other than the live drums. All the same hip-hop type samples are still in there. I think the mix with the live drums has the edge on the original version. It has more energy. Significantly, N.E.R.D. did not intend to release the first mix. They were pissed when Virgin put it out in the U.K. without their consent. They just considered it a demo, from what I read. And it sounds like it (though it's still really good). Don't believe the hype. http://www.fastnbulbous.com/nerd_in.htm

      Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...> wrote:At 1:49 PM +0000 5/4/03, Stevo wrote:
      >N.E.R.D. In Search Of
      >Poppy rap stuff.
      >Deeply influenced by that early 80s Electro type stuff.
      >I was really reminded of the Planet Patrol +Jonzun Crew stuff I
      >picked up last year.
      >I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
      >artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
      >studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
      >the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
      >surfy guitar licks on it too.

      They should've stuck w/the earlier "hip-hop" mix; far, far superior
      imo. And it's been available on a Virgin France cd for a while--
      think we might even still have a few:

      http://www.midheaven.com/labels/nonexc/virgin.france.html

    • Jason Witherspoon
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5, 2003
        At 8:34 AM -0700 5/5/03, A.S. Van Dorston wrote:
        >I totally disagree. I reviewed both side by side, listening to each
        >version, track-to-track. First of all, the difference is
        >noticeable, but not that big. The mixes are hard to tell apart
        >sometimes, other than the live drums. All the same hip-hop type
        >samples are still in there. I think the mix with the live drums has
        >the edge on the original version. It has more energy.
        >Significantly, N.E.R.D. did not intend to release the first mix.
        >They were pissed when Virgin put it out in the U.K. without their
        >consent. They just considered it a demo, from what I read. And it
        >sounds like it (though it's still really good). Don't believe the
        >hype. http://www.fastnbulbous.com/nerd_in.htm

        Further "hype" from me, the hype-merchant:

        Live drums are nice, sure, but the guitars on the new version stink
        of rap-metal. Limp Bizkit, the full crap monty. If you
        side-by-sided 'em & couldn't tell much difference, maybe there's a
        3rd album out there that I'm missing out on, 'coz the 2 I'm talking
        about sound waaaay different.

        >Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...> wrote:At 1:49 PM +0000
        >5/4/03, Stevo wrote:
        >>N.E.R.D. In Search Of
        >>Poppy rap stuff.
        >>Deeply influenced by that early 80s Electro type stuff.
        >>I was really reminded of the Planet Patrol +Jonzun Crew stuff I
        >>picked up last year.
        >>I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
        >>artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
        >>studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
        >>the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
        >>surfy guitar licks on it too.
        >
        >They should've stuck w/the earlier "hip-hop" mix; far, far superior
        >imo. And it's been available on a Virgin France cd for a while--
        >think we might even still have a few:
        >
        >http://www.midheaven.com/labels/nonexc/virgin.france.html
        >--

        Jason Witherspoon
        ---------
        --- ---
        --- ---
        ---------
        ----O----
        ---------

        "...almost any idea which jogs you out of your current abstractions
        may be better than nothing." -- Alfred North Whitehead

        http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm
      • A.S. Van Dorston
        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2003
          I think the guitars are significantly different on just a couple cuts. One could associate the tones to nu/spice metal I suppose, or it might remind one of old Fishbone. It sounds fine to me. Maybe I'll upload both to my SoulSeek folder and people can hear from themselves.
          Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...> wrote:At 8:34 AM -0700 5/5/03, A.S. Van Dorston wrote:
          >I totally disagree. I reviewed both side by side, listening to each
          >version, track-to-track. First of all, the difference is
          >noticeable, but not that big. The mixes are hard to tell apart
          >sometimes, other than the live drums. All the same hip-hop type
          >samples are still in there. I think the mix with the live drums has
          >the edge on the original version. It has more energy.
          >Significantly, N.E.R.D. did not intend to release the first mix.
          >They were pissed when Virgin put it out in the U.K. without their
          >consent. They just considered it a demo, from what I read. And it
          >sounds like it (though it's still really good). Don't believe the
          >hype. http://www.fastnbulbous.com/nerd_in.htm

          Further "hype" from me, the hype-merchant:

          Live drums are nice, sure, but the guitars on the new version stink
          of rap-metal. Limp Bizkit, the full crap monty. If you
          side-by-sided 'em & couldn't tell much difference, maybe there's a
          3rd album out there that I'm missing out on, 'coz the 2 I'm talking
          about sound waaaay different.

          >Jason Witherspoon wrote:At 1:49 PM +0000
          >5/4/03, Stevo wrote:
          >>N.E.R.D. In Search Of
          >>Poppy rap stuff.
          >>Deeply influenced by that early 80s Electro type stuff.
          >>I was really reminded of the Planet Patrol +Jonzun Crew stuff I
          >>picked up last year.
          >>I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
          >>artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
          >>studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
          >>the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
          >>surfy guitar licks on it too.
          >
          >They should've stuck w/the earlier "hip-hop" mix; far, far superior
          >imo. And it's been available on a Virgin France cd for a while--
          >think we might even still have a few:
          >
          >http://www.midheaven.com/labels/nonexc/virgin.france.htm

        • mark winkelmannn
          Message 4 of 12 , May 26, 2003
            > >I heard that this was originally cut as the Neptunes production team
            > >artificially trying to put a rock influenced lp together in the
            > >studio. Limited released in that form , then the group returned to
            > >the studio withy live musicians and recut it. Got some pretty tasty
            > >surfy guitar licks on it too.

            Chiming in late on this subject but is there any easy way to tell the two
            versions apart. I bought one a while after I read the first reviews but a
            few months later it started appearin in the in-store displays but with the
            same sleeve which made me think it was the newer version. So is there an
            obvious tracklist giveaway?

            Cheers

            Mark

          • Rioual Jc
            Message 5 of 12 , May 27, 2003
              On the website www.allmusic.com I have read
              the following

              > Coil spent the next period of its existence
              > exploring visual media: in late 1984 they recorded
              >a rendition of the Soft Cell smash "Tainted Love,"
              >producing a widely banned, hallucinogenic video clip
              >featuring Mark Almond as the Angel of Death; despite
              >considerable controversy at home, the video
              >ultimately found its way to the archives of the
              >Museum of Modern Art.

              Does anyone have more information about this video ?
              Is it possible to see it ?
              Is it worth ? Why was it so controversial ?

              Cheers

              Jean-Christophe

            • michael j
              Message 6 of 12 , May 27, 2003
                I recall seeing this video circa 1986-87. I do NOT recall Mark Almond
                in the video, however, it has been a while and my memory does not
                always serve me so well. The controversy you mention probably stems
                from the video depicting the death of a young AIDS victim. A 12"
                single was also released, the proceeds from which benefitted AIDS
                research &/or outreach programs. I still have this record I am NOT
                selling it on ebay ! As for the video I do not know where or if it
                can be seen, especially since this was back in their SOME BIZZARE
                days.
                and cheers to you mon ami, Michael

                --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Rioual Jc <jcrioual2@y...> wrote:

                > On the website www.allmusic.com I have read
                > the following
                >
                > > Coil spent the next period of its existence
                > > exploring visual media: in late 1984 they recorded
                > >a rendition of the Soft Cell smash "Tainted Love,"
                > >producing a widely banned, hallucinogenic video clip
                > >featuring Mark Almond as the Angel of Death; despite
                > >considerable controversy at home, the video
                > >ultimately found its way to the archives of the
                > >Museum of Modern Art.
                >
                > Does anyone have more information about this video ?
                > Is it possible to see it ?
                > Is it worth ? Why was it so controversial ?
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Jean-Christophe

              • Jim Flannery
                Message 7 of 12 , May 27, 2003
                  michael wrote to wire:

                  mj> I recall seeing this video circa 1986-87. I do NOT recall Mark Almond
                  mj> in the video, however, it has been a while and my memory does not
                  mj> always serve me so well.

                  Almond *is* in the video, playing the "Angel of Death" -- he walks into
                  the hospital room wearing a black leather jacket and stands (smiling,
                  IIRC) at the foot of the bed at the moment of death.

                  It was banned? Really? I guess it says something that merely hinting
                  that AIDS patients were human beings was controversial back in those
                  pre-ACTUP days, but I don't really remember much reaction to it beyond
                  "wow, great video" ... but then, I lived in San Francisco. It got a fair
                  bit of play on the USA Network at the time, as part of an often-repeated
                  Some Bizarre special on "Night Flight" which also featured Einstürzende
                  Neubauten going at it, complete with demolition equipment, on an
                  abandoned freeway in a wintry landscape ... can't remember the song
                  offhand but it was something from _Drawings of O.T._.

                  --
                  Jim Flannery newgrange@...

                  When you can't give anything, you can also receive nothing.
                  Through giving, you also receive. You can never stop giving.
                  When you have nothing more to give, you're dead.
                  -- Mustafa Tettey Addy

                  np: V/A, _Il Canto di Malavita - La Musica della Mafia_
                  nr: Simon Winchester, _The Professor and the Madman_
                • andrij.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 27, 2003
                    On Tue, 27 May 2003 23:10:15 -0700, Jim Flannery wrote:
                    >It was banned?

                    Banned in what sense of the word?

                    It's part of the MoMA (NYC)'s film and video collection.
                    --
                    andrij.
                  • delentuck@attbi.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 28, 2003
                      This video, along with Windowpane, was included on "Black Box" video compilation (2 tapes) released by Wax Trax about 10 years ago.