[thewire] Re: Soul Jazz stuff

  • Jason Witherspoon
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4 2:25 PM
      At 2:04 PM +0000 5/4/03, Stevo wrote:
      >--- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
      >> Looking interestedly at SJ's 'Barrio Nuevo' and 'Nu
      >> Yorica' comps- worth getting? Ditto last year's
      >> 'Reggae Disco' & 'Mantronix: That's My Beat'
      >>
      >> thanks
      >>
      >> SF
      >>
      > Think that Soul Jazz seems to be a label of quality if such a thing
      >exists. The first Nu Yorica is dashed good as is the rest of the Ocho
      >stuff I've heard.
      >The Eddie Palmieri Sun of Latin music that I've got is on Sanctuary
      >+the rest of it is more succinct than that Una Dia Bonita
      >Universal America Sounds the space jazz compi is great too
      >as is the ESG compi.
      >I need to get the New Wave In the Beginning There Was Rhythm compi
      >too and early by A cvertain nRatio.
      >I think Soul Jazz must be music fans themselves, are they London club
      >runners or something?
      >I keep thinking Gilles Peterson when I think of them.
      >any link?
      >Stevo

      http://www.soundsoftheuniverse.com

      And they run a Soul Jazz Sound System Club, which seems to mainly
      take place at a joint called Electrowerkz in London, though they move
      it around a fair bit (see their site).

      The ACR is pretty much the least essential release I've heard from
      them so far, incidentally. Haven't heard the Mantronix, though....
      --

      Jason Witherspoon
      ---------

      "...almost any idea which jogs you out of your current abstractions
      may be better than nothing." -- Alfred North Whitehead

      http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm
    • gibblegones
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5 8:29 AM
        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@s...> wrote: Haven't heard the Mantronix, though....

        I thought Mantronix were great at the time Jason, but hearing them many years after the fact, most of that stuff sounds very dated comapred to contemporary things likeThe Roots and Madlib.
      • Gary Atkins
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6 7:13 AM
          "In the Beginning..." is a good comp, with fun liner notes. A real letdown
          for me on Soul Jazz was the Sandoz: In Dub (Richard H. Kirk doing
          electro-dub). Maybe it was the sub-title ("Chant to Jah") that sucked me in,
          but there certainly was not sufficient musical inspiration to make me want
          to chant to anyone...

          My hat is off to those running the label. Most titles look very tasty and
          packaging is top-notch.