Re[3]: [thewire] Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Jim Flannery
    Message 1 of 41 , May 4, 2003
      Olivier wrote to wire:

      OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

      Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
      (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

      There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
      by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
      Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
      patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

      The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
      in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
      sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
      Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
      check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
      in Hamlet.

      There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
      well.

      --
      Jim Flannery newgrange@...

      "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
      selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
      are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

      np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
      nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003