Re: [thewire] Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Lang Thompson
    Message 1 of 41 , May 4, 2003
      Well, check out the numerous "variations on a theme by" (such as Brahms
      variations on Haydn & Paganini, Vaughn Williams on Tallis, etc), the final
      movement of Brahms 1, quite a bit of Shostakovich (esp the 15th symphony),
      Mozart's Haydn quartets (and supposedly references to other now forgotten
      operas in some of his own), Stravinsky's Pulcinella (using Pergolesi or
      material atributed to him), lots of Handel pieces (though I'm not familiar
      enough to recognize them), Vivaldi apparently included entire arias from
      other composers in some of his operas (which goes a bit beyond "quotation")
      and of course countless uses of folk songs (Bartok, Ives, Tchaikovsky,
      Copland, etc etc).

      >for example?
      >

      > > classical composers to include "quotations" by other composers.
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_