Re: [thewire] Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Kraig Grady
    Message 1 of 41 , May 4, 2003
      by the 16th century it was actually common for masses and such to be based on
      popular songs of the neighborhood often times written by the same person who
      wrote the masses.

      Olivier Borzeix wrote:

      > Furthermore... most religious "classical music" pieces like Masses, requiems
      > etc. were builded on Gregorian/Melismatic melodies (Bach's Magnificat,
      > Mozart's requiem, Haendel's Dixit Dominus...etc).
      >
      > In "Les Essais" Montaigne say aproximately (I don't remember the exact
      > quote) that, once integrated into its own concept, a thinker/writer can call
      > his own another one's idea or quote. I firmly think this is/should be true
      > for Music and art too (and if we were not so hypocritical we'd see its
      > already true).
      >
      > Godar/Spilane, Ground Zero anybody?
      >
      > my two cents

      -- -Kraig Grady
      North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
      http://www.anaphoria.com
      The Wandering Medicine Show
      KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_