Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 41 , May 4, 2003
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Olivier Borzeix" <oborzeix@s...>
      wrote:
      > In "Les Essais" Montaigne say aproximately (I don't remember the
      exact
      > quote) that, once integrated into its own concept, a thinker/writer
      can call
      > his own another one's idea or quote. I firmly think this is/should
      be true
      > for Music and art too (and if we were not so hypocritical we'd see
      its
      > already true).

      I've been researching an nextrended essay on metaphor and come across
      the idea of framing (think I've known it before but here I got an
      explanation)
      because I've been reasding massively I can't remember oif its in
      Lakoff's Wome, Fire and Dangerous things or Kittay's Metaphor.
      Anyway the basic drift is that the context is likely to be the
      determinant influence. Copping somebody else's idea and
      recontextualising it therefore ought to change the focus etc.
      I think everything exists as a part of a greater network so what is
      seen as surrounding the idea, the next points it links into etc are
      going to reflect back on the idea itself and so on
      Stevo
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_