Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 41 , May 4, 2003
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "gibblegones" <gibblegones@y...>
      wrote:
      >> You might argue that ideas should be protected but they are not
      > property in my opinion, because they cannot be taken away from you.
      > for the same reason, copyright infringement is not theft.
      >
      > Do you see what I mean?

      There was a weird situation somewhere recently where somebody was
      selling duplicate copies of artwork. couldn't wrap my head around how
      they could get away with charging large prices for something that
      wasn't finite.

      wish i could remember the details better.
      just seemed like, i couldn't work out exactly why the price should be
      that unless it was for exclusivity. a painting for example reflects
      the amount of hands on input the artist has, a duplicate reflects a
      xerox or whatever other duplicator
      stevo
      np johnny burnette rnr trio I just found out
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_