Re: [thewire] Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Jan Marius Breivoll av L�gster
    Message 1 of 41 , May 4, 2003
      Den 2003-05-04, 14:15:00 skrev Stevo:

      >Did people prior to sampling basically sample on a more primitive
      >level by copping riffs from elsewhere.

      Before recording audio became possible, it was standard practise for
      classical composers to include "quotations" by other composers.

      ~ Jan

      "Just because you do not take an interest in politics
      doesn't mean that politics won't take an interest in you."
      -Pericles of Athens
      kefka@...
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_