WRECK: Dub Killa

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 12:22 PM

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 212: Dub Killa

      Maandag, 24 Maart 2003 (17.00 to 19.00)*

      SIMUL-streaming <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "I myself feel that our country (US), for whose Constitution I fought in a
      just war, might as well have been invaded by Martians and body
      snatchers. Sometimes I wish it had been. What has happened, though, is
      that it has been taken over by means of the sleaziest, low-comedy,
      Keystone Cops-style coup d'etat imaginable. And those now in charge of
      the federal government are upper-crust C-students who know no history or
      geography, plus not-so-closeted white supremacists, aka 'Christians,'
      and, most frighteningly, psychopathic personalities."
      --- Kurt Vonnegut
      [via Eddé du Bois]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Forbidden Land > Dub Factory [1]
      Genesis / Pillars of Smoke > Spectre [2]
      Blood Shed > Singers & Players [3]
      War Zone > Revolutionary Dub Warriors[4]
      Shah of Iran > The 7 Sages of Mesopotamia [5]
      Killa Instinct > Sub Dub [6]
      Apocryphal > The 7 Sages of Mesopotamia [5]
      Towers Open Fire > Scarab vs Bill Laswell [7]
      The Ignorance Version > Adrian Sherwood [8]
      Peace & Justice > Zion Train [9]
      Underground > Manazzeh vs the Equalizer [10]
      War Ina Babylon > Max Romeo vs Lee "Scratch" Perry [11]
      Mr. President > The Heptones & Jah Lion vs Lee "Scratch" Perry [11]
      No Justice For The Poor > King Tubby meets the Upsetters [12]
      The Show Is Coming > Dub Syndicate [13]
      Jah War > Ruts [14]
      SDI > Lee "Scratch" Perry [15]
      Resistance of the Cell > Mark Stewart of the Maffia [16]
      Lonely Soldier > Groove Corporation [17]
      Hidden Agenda > Spectre [18]
      Peace & Freedom > Rasboras Dub Tribe [19]
      War & Friction > I-Roy vs Stereo Mc's [20]
      Sniper > Systemwide [21]
      Militant Base > Ruts DC vs Zion Train [22]
      Thuds Like Scuds > Dubadelic [23]

      °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

      * circumstance bring you the past few and the next few playlists in
      an order that has nothing to do with chronology.

      o My bass needs are periodically fixed with a dose of dub. Despite
      its abstract excursions into psycho-sonic representations of altered
      states it also has in its very form a sound that addresses
      bombardment, frightening levels of treble and bass caused by
      explosions. It also contains the sound of the mind dealing with its
      after-effects. And sometimes the musicians involved attempt to
      address the angst of their times. Dub remains at once realistic and
      hopeful, rooted in roots with a penetrating puissance to reinvent
      itself as a response to the quotidian.

      [1] "More Bass Than Space" on Dubmission. One of the best [ex] labels
      to deal with dub as pure wonderful excursions into the depths of
      sonic destabilisation. Dubmission in hiatus and in the process of
      regrouping.

      [2] "The Second Coming" on Wordsound <www.wordsound.com>. Doom &
      gloom [for those with a mindset and critical capacities that differ
      from the official jingoism] from the Beirut on the east side of the
      Brooklyn Bridge, where the sounds of colliding delivery trucks,
      wheels bottoming out in deep dark potholes, where the soul begins to
      mirror one of the many abandoned storefronts

      [3] "Revenge of the Underdog" On-U Sound <onusound.co.uk>. The roots
      and raw materials for napalm dub.

      [4] "State of Evolution" On-U Sound <onusound.co.uk>. A band that
      seems to constantly undermine and live short of its potential and
      rhetoric.

      [5] "Seven Sages of Mesopotamia: Tales from Black Magheddo for Wreck
      This Mess" on Htz Records <www.htz-records.com> is a project managed
      by my long-time dubaholic companero in Paris [birthplace of the
      original WTM], Laurent, and the sonic genius of BBC sound engineer,
      Andy Diey <http://www.alchemyaudiolab.com>. It seems to take dub as a
      starting point as interpreted by fellow long-time Manchester cohort,
      the late Bryn Jones [Muslimguaze] and take some of the prickly or
      industrial edges off of it to offer a sound scape that both soothes
      and inspires. There are images of inspiring [yet dangerous]
      landscapes, foreign territory, alien-ness, filmworks for the blind.

      I recently asked Laurent of WTMK-Paris some questions:

      WTM: how did the 7 sages project/collaboration come about? what was
      your part in the production?

      Laurent: I love the piece BF did for the compilation "Docking
      Sequence" on BSI. Ezra gave me Andy Diey' number and asked if he'd
      submit something to my "Dub This Net". He sent me a CD-R of material
      to choose from. But everything on it was excellent!!! So I asked if
      he wanted to do an entire album of this demo. And I wanted to keep
      the WTM "logo" for the record and asked if it was OK to integrate WTM
      into the title. The idea is to do a series of studio albums for WTM
      like the Peel Sessions idea. I did a lot of the cover artwork, looked
      for visuals, texts, organized the production with Ian and mastering
      at chez Norscq. In short, it was like being a director of a film that
      guides the artists, cameraman, etcŠ and paid everyone based on
      earnings from "Dub This Net".

      WTM: is it an homage or reworking of muslimgauze themes?

      Paris: No. Andy [BF] was very close to Bryn Jones / Muslimgauze. He
      also lived in Manchester and they knew each other well. Otherwise, he
      has been working on a tribute to Bryn (1/2 remix, 1/2 hommage) of
      MuslimGauze under the name of Black Faction along with Rapoon, called
      "Cult Of SunMoon" à paraître sur SoleilMoon.

      [6] "Dancehall Malfunction" on Asphodel <www.asphodel.com>. One of
      the NY bands that goes on the deepest dredging missions into lakes of
      melted black ice. Dub for a William Gibson novel.

      [7] "Shake the Nations" on Wordsound <www.wordsound.com>. Paranoia,
      vision, bombast and yet effective beats that fly in the face of a
      culture that defines itself as modern by how fast its people are
      processed by hyper-speed addictions.

      [8] "Never Trust a Hippy" on Realworld. One of my 2003 faves. AS has
      created a wonderful dynamic tension between up and down beat, hope
      and gloom, back and foreground, like a sonic version of a backdrop
      that not only dominates the stage but subsumes all the actors
      performing in front of it.

      [9] "Original Sounds of the Zion" on Universal Egg <wobblyweb.com/ue>
      Fusing hypnosis and indulgence, trance and awareness.

      [10] "Manasseh meets the Equaliser: Step Like Pepper" on Select Cuts
      <www.selectcuts.de>. Great new album by M. who seems to have learned
      a lot from 80s dub including On-U but doesn't let that get in his way
      to producing fervently engaged dub.

      [11] "Arkology" LSP "Watching Babylon burn red hot." Treading that
      fine line between vision and paranoia, genius and trickster,
      glossalalia and poesie.

      [12] "Roots & Society" Culture Press.

      [13] "Tunes From the Missing Channel" On-U Sound. For 10 years or so
      they were the urban dub band of record.

      [14] "Wild Dub: Dread Meets Punk Rockers Downtown" on Select Cuts.
      Wonderful collection of stillo-vital altho nostalgia arousing dub
      meets punk sounds to make righteous anger and contemptuous
      ir/reverence sound just right. Includes The Ruts, Clash, Basement 5,
      Generation X, Vivien Goldman, PiL, Pop Group, Stiif Little Fingers -
      even Grace Jones!

      [15] "Walking on the edge of oblivion"

      [16] "As The Veneer of Democracy Begins to Fade" Is probably one of
      my favorite albums of all time. Thanks to Laurent at WTM-Paris for
      making me a collection of MS CDRs. When you get angry and frustrated
      about the war mongers and profiteers there is nothing more sonically
      rousing & cleansing than the sounds of MS. Still contemporary,
      engaged, and he takes dub for a ride into distortion, a place it had
      never gone to before, and all in the early 80s.

      [17] "Co-operation Dub" on Echo Beach. Beautiful grooves.

      [18] "The Ill Saint presents: Subterranean Hitz vol. 3" on Wordsound.
      Dig a hole you wanna crawl into. Nihilism meets the shadiest of dub.

      [19] "French Dub Connection" on Echo Beach. Rousing collection of
      post-punkie dub meets roots meets drum and bass in a drumstick
      boulangerie.

      [20] "King Size Dub" on Echo Beach. Nicolas does great collections of
      reconfigured classics and forgotten dub masterpieces.

      [21] "Pure & Applied" on BSI. The US West Coast is kept awake with
      this great label.

      [22] "Rhythm Collision Remix" on Echo Beach. Punk dub meets trance dub.

      [23] "Bass Invaders" on Wordsound. Messianic dub from the dispeptic
      intestines. Like a Celine or Hubert Selby novel with reverb and
      bowel-worrying bass.

      ~~~~~~~~~

      o In 1918, ex-President Teddy Roosevelt challenged Woodrow Wilson's
      sweeping crackdown against dissent after the American entry into
      World War I. "To announce that there must be no criticism of the
      president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong,"
      Roosevelt said, "is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally
      treasonable to the American public."

      ~~~~~~~~~

      o THE WAGES OF INNOCENCE: A Moral Diatribe [exc] by EDDIJ de Bosche
      "ŠJust as it's fine and dandy for successive Turkish governments to
      massacre Kurds, but not for Saddam to do it. Or for Saudi Arabia to
      execute women for adultery when even the Butcher of Baghdad doesn't
      do that. And for Ariel Sharon to get away with having been an active
      war criminal when he was Israel's defense minister (for which heinous
      deeds he is now facing charges in Brussels) and continue to be one,
      vis-à-vis his abominable treatment of Palestinians, now that he is
      (yet again) his country's prime minister. For Mugabe to impoverish
      his people, the government of Kuwait (liberated by the West,
      remember?) to continue on its authoritarian way unimpeded. For all
      those Central Asian republics (no longer in the grasp of the one-time
      "evil empire" which significantly collapsed without a single American
      military shot having been fired) to be just as despotic, equally as
      ruthless and undemocratic as the much-reviled Saddam (now that, with
      the help of having already bombed the bejabbers out of Afghanistan,
      we've figured out a more 'peaceful' way to get our grubby hands on
      their gas and oil reserves). The litany of Western transgressions is
      agonizingly long, thoroughly documented and, for the most part,
      fairly well-publicized. But do take note of this recent news item
      concerning the above-mentioned Turks and Kurds. On February 19th The
      Times (London) reported that in return for agreeing to give access
      for American troops fighting a war against Iraq, Turkey is demanding
      "not only a substantially increased aid package, but also clearance
      to follow invading American troops into northern Iraq to secure the
      country's southern borders, which are home to dissident Kurdish
      groups seeking a state of their own." Italics added by me so that you
      won't fail to realize that the true aim of this demand is to go in
      and wipe out said Kurdish dissidents. But hey, America needs Turkey,
      Turkey is a part of NATO, Turkey wants to join the EU. So to hell
      with those Kurds, as long as it's Turkey doing a dirty on them and
      not Saddam. This is the same Turkey, you may recall, from which
      President Kennedy agreed to remove American missiles aimed at the
      Soviet Union in return for Nikita Khrushchev taking his missiles out
      of Cuba, after Kennedy further gave his word that all plans for
      invading the Caribbean island would be scrapped. The bottom line here
      is that the Iraqi people are not in a position to elect their leader,
      or even to overthrow him, even more so because (as Senator Robert
      Byrd informed his do-nothing congressional colleagues in an eloquent
      anti-war speech on February 12th) more than 50% of the Iraqi
      population is under the age of 15. All of which makes them as close
      to innocent as you can possibly get in the vile world of
      international power politics. [february 2003]

      * Thankx to Laurent at WTM-Paris [500+ shows of Wreck this Mess since
      I left Paris], Sifichi, and all the dub evangelicals [BSI, UE, On-U,
      Echo, Wordsound, who make sure I get the soundest of propaganda.
      Thanx also to all the people who have supplied vital critiques and
      info concerning current events.

      °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      __________________

      WTM PLAYLISTS
      o 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      o "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>
      o Old playlists archived at <http://www.wfmu.org/~bart/>
      o Recent selected Playlists [early stages] at
      http://www.romanapoli.com/black/wreckthismess.html
      o Special playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon. To
      appear soon: excerpts from my scandal-delicious paris novel, PARIS
      SEX TETE, a review of the spoken word works of Roberto Valenza...