Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • gibblegones
    Message 1 of 41 , May 2 3:54 AM
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
      > Once again patents would apply in this case

      I know i haven't answered this point. From what I can find on the
      Internet, Patents in the USA seem to be different from Patents in the
      UK and they seem to vary a lot from country to country. In short
      Kraig, I don't know enough about patents to answer you.

      > In the end it is all a personal veiwpoint.

      It's certainly that Kraig and it may become academic anyway as
      systems like http://freenet.sourceforge.net effectively make
      copyright impossible to police, never mind enforce.

      Anyway I think I've shot off at a tangent in my first few posts and I
      don't want to annoy the regulars so this will be my last word on the
      matter, I think :)
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4 7:24 PM
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_