Re: [thewire] Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Kraig Grady
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2003
      Once again patents would apply in this case also and i see no reason under
      your argument why someone should not be allowed to use a "tangible
      expression" before the creator does. In such a case i believe it can very
      drastically infringe on the creators expression. In the end it is all a
      personal veiwpoint. what about lets say the Objibwe tribe if i used one of
      their sacred songs. Why should they conform to to what someone else defines
      as music.

      gibblegones wrote:

      > --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
      > "If ideas which belong to the creator in the most direct way are to
      > be limited why should not private property which belongs historically
      > more to a group of people than any individual. Why not have a limit
      > on any thing that can be
      > inherited."
      >
      > I wouldn't be averse to such an idea Kraig, certainly where land is
      > concerned. I personally think it's outrageous that some people own
      > small islands while others are homeless,but that's my moral position.
      >
      > Logically I can see no analogy, because, as I've said, if you have to
      > give up your land then you can't use it anymore, whereas, if you have
      > to relinquish your IP rights it just means that I can use a copy. I'm
      > not affecting the original copy, or your ability to use the
      > copyrighted materials.

      -- -Kraig Grady
      North American Embassy of Anaphoria Island
      http://www.anaphoria.com
      The Wandering Medicine Show
      KXLU 88.9 FM WED 8-9PM PST
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_