Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • gibblegones
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2003
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:
      "If ideas which belong to the creator in the most direct way are to
      be limited why should not private property which belongs historically
      more to a group of people than any individual. Why not have a limit
      on any thing that can be
      inherited."

      I wouldn't be averse to such an idea Kraig, certainly where land is
      concerned. I personally think it's outrageous that some people own
      small islands while others are homeless,but that's my moral position.

      Logically I can see no analogy, because, as I've said, if you have to
      give up your land then you can't use it anymore, whereas, if you have
      to relinquish your IP rights it just means that I can use a copy. I'm
      not affecting the original copy, or your ability to use the
      copyrighted materials.

      By the way, it seems to me that while anyone can copyright something
      it's really only very rich people or Organisations who can afford to
      enforce it so the de facto position is much the same as that with
      Real Estate.
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_