Re: //Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • gibblegones
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2003
      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Kraig Grady <kraiggrady@a...> wrote:

      > one can easily take someones elses
      > work and reduce it to absurdity
      > or take all content out
      > of it so it is not the same.

      Actually Kraig this is one situation where you can copy in the UK,
      for the purpose of satire or criticism. I'm assuming this is the same
      in most of Europe and why the http://www.xenu.net/ site can pull
      apart the Scientologists theories, where the COS can sue the ass off
      anyone who does it in the USA and frequently do.

      By the way, I am aware that broadly speaking most countries'
      Copyright Laws do mirror your views on IP rights a lot more closely
      than mine. I just happen to think the laws and especially the USA's
      DMCA and DRM laws are morally wrong.
    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_