//Copyright monopoly and creative sounds

  • Eric Namour
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 27 3:21 AM
      Dear all, I would be interested in getting your comments on a subject I am looking at for an academic paper: Do you believe that copyright {rigid} protection (its term is 'life of the author + 70 years) stifles creative sound/music making (mainly cut'n'paste, minimal electro, atmospheric/deconstructive Rock, field recording, etc...)? This is not a 'freedom of speech' consideration for we all do agree on the benefits of collaboration and sharing techniques/ideas/sound pieces within a defined marginal music community. This concerns the fact that copyright is purely an undeserved, uncreative (and many other 'un'!) future revenue streams which benefit only the big corporations and that Copyright Acts have hidden behind the excuse of 'protecting the public interest for the progress of Art'. I appreciate your help for that and thank you all in advance...

      Eric

    • Jim Flannery
      Message 41 of 41 , May 4, 2003
        Olivier wrote to wire:

        OB> Forgot to mention Bach's quoting of Vivaldi in some of his concertos...

        Or wholesale transcription, in the case of the Concerto for 4 Klavier
        (based on a 4-violin concerto of Vivaldi's).

        There's a piece by Stockhausen I'd be appalled if I had to actually cite
        by name ;-). Mind you, Beethoven had fun with anthems in Wellington's
        Victory 1.5 century earlier ... I'm sure there are other uses of
        patriotic themes (oh wait, Ives, duh).

        The most startling intrusion I can think of -- it works just a sample,
        in fact most like a "cut-in" record -- is the quotation from a Beethoven
        sonata (I think it's from the prelude to the 4th movement of the
        Hammerklavier, but unfortunately Ch-Cr is still in storage so I can't
        check) in George Crumb's Makrokosmos v.2, which floats in like the Ghost
        in Hamlet.

        There's a metric ton of quotation in George Rochberg's post-60s work as
        well.

        --
        Jim Flannery newgrange@...

        "There are three things required for happiness: good health,
        selfishness, and stupidity, and without stupidity the others
        are useless." -- Gustave Flaubert

        np: F/i, _Why Not Now? ... Alan!_
        nr: Claude Lévi-Strauss, _Tristes Tropiques_