Re: [thewire] Re: Solaris

  • John Jones
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
      Yeah, agree - haven't actually seen the remake of
      Solaris but surely Soderbergh is the most overrated,
      useless director of the present day. The Limey, for
      christsakes, was a joke (and that ridiculous cockney
      rhyming banter, lord give me a break!). The bloke
      seems to have a reputation for being 'good with
      actors'; oh great. Pity he can't direct for toffee.

      --- gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@...>
      wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      Soderbergh seems to be getting more pompous and
      self-important. No!
      Full Frontal isn't smug and pretentious at all! It's a
      daring
      exploration of film making done with a digital camera.
      It's
      Soderbergh's entry in the Dogme series. Arf arf. I
      can't think of a
      more usless movie than Ocean's 11 that I've cringed
      through recently
      either. I liked seeing George Clooney on Letterman
      stating that
      Soderbergh "wrote and directed Solaris", with no
      mention at all made
      of Tarkovsky! I think I'll do a remake of Full Frontal
      and go on tv
      and tell everyone I wrote and directed it. As far as
      Soderbergh's
      Solaris goes, I guess some people might enjoy looking
      at George
      Clooney's ass, but I'm not one of them.

      --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo"
      <stevolende@y...> wrote:
      > Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
      > thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the
      Tarkovsky version in
      > years.
      >
      > Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area
      overwell.
      > Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
      > Just wondering what other people think of the new
      version.

      > Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage
      buildings as sets.
      > (least that's what tose outside shots look like
      after being on film
      > sites)
      > Is that a holdover from the original?
      > Stevo
      > NP Doors In Concert You make Me real

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      UNSUBSCRIBE =
      mailto:thewire-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

      Terms of Service.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • A.S. Van Dorston
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
        Warren Ellis (the Transmetropolitan comic writer, not member of Dirty
        Three) wrote this, which I agree with:

        I like George Clooney.

        No, not like that.

        Clooney's someone who did an awful
        lot of shit before he got where he is
        today. He's been doing a bunch of
        interesting interviews to support
        SOLARIS and CONFESSIONS OF A
        DANGEROUS MIND, and in one of them
        he commented that whenever he
        turns on the TV at 3am, there he is
        in another terrible show, with another
        terrible hair crime. I think only Jean
        Claude Van Damme tops him for
        the visual archive of hair crimes
        committed over the last twenty
        years.

        Once he found himself in a position
        of power on ER -- in a gift of a role
        as the understated maverick who
        could never lose sympathy because
        he saved children's lives -- he started
        pulling stunts. He was instrumental
        in the episode of ER that the cast did
        live, twice in one night -- once for the
        East Coast, once for the West. Then
        he got involved in producing a remake
        of FAIL SAFE as a piece of live
        televisual theatre. Then came film,
        and starting again, doing some shit,
        clearly relearning how to act again,
        because an acting style that's
        charming on TV just dies on film.
        See how often he looks down, in
        those early films, retains cadences
        from TV. Then he hooked up with
        Steven Soderbergh. His head comes
        up, he learns economy and bigness
        at the same time. And in Soderbergh,
        one of America's cleverer risk-takers,
        he seemed to have found someone
        who thought the same way.

        In another recent interview, he lays
        this out. He says that the nature
        of the film beast is that in five or
        ten years, he won't be allowed in
        front of a camera, let alone behind
        it. So he needs to do the things he
        wants to do now, while he's in the
        position of power to make them
        happen. He comments that SOLARIS
        is flopping domestically, though it'll
        probably make most of its money
        back in foreign markets. But that
        doesn't matter. What matters is
        that they did it. The film is there.
        And it is -- I realise this flies against
        the face of all critics everywhere --
        a good film. I always hesitate to
        use the word "emotional" when
        discussing story, as I fear I sound like
        the wreckage of Francis Ford
        Coppola talking shit about the Godfather
        movies in the beginning of his twilight
        years. But SOLARIS has an unmannered,
        mature emotional complexity to it.
        It is, in fact, a Seventies art-film.
        It gets the best performance I've
        ever seen from Natasha McElhone,
        and Clooney is clearly fucking with
        his perceived star persona as the
        chilly, damaged psychiatrist. One
        of the character's friends calls him
        "a nihilist shrink."

        I grabbed the original Soderbergh
        script down from script-o-rama.com,
        and there are some interesting cuts.
        Anything that added to the science-
        fictional tone of the film got cut. It's
        all in the inference in the finished
        film. It's genre deconstruction,
        concentrating on the thing the majority
        of sf doesn't do -- creating a real
        life in the relationships.

        It may not be what anyone wanted
        to see, but it's the film they wanted
        to make.

        At similar peaks, people in Clooney's
        position tend to do things that will
        maintain or crest that peak. Running
        to stand still. There's something
        admirable in someone who says,
        now I'm going to do the things I need
        to do until they kick me off the peak.

        At 09:49 AM 3/6/03 +0000, you wrote:
        >Yeah, agree - haven't actually seen the remake of
        >Solaris but surely Soderbergh is the most overrated,
        >useless director of the present day. The Limey, for
        >christsakes, was a joke (and that ridiculous cockney
        >rhyming banter, lord give me a break!). The bloke
        >seems to have a reputation for being 'good with
        >actors'; oh great. Pity he can't direct for toffee.
      • David Beardsley
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2003
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2003
            > > He's a drummer, I believe.. I think he was in an early line-up of
            the Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things..

            > He was also in Capt. Beefheart's Magic Band - Ice Cream for Crow.

            And the old school LA punk in me has to remind y'all that he was also
            in the Weirdos and the Dickies...

            danny