Re: [thewire] Solaris

  • John Eastridge
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2003
      yeah steveo, i enjoyed soderbergh's solaris as well. i liked it a hell of a
      lot more than some other of his films (FULL FRONTAL!!!). i was suprised by
      the overwhelming negative feedback i heard from many people concerning
      solaris. it is thought to be very pretentious by many. the tarkovsky version
      is certainly hard to top, but soderbergh did alarminingly good job. i also
      really liked the music. i watched the credits but did not see any mention of
      a composer or performer.

      does anyone have a copy of the new jandek documentary yet? you can watch the
      trailer at:

      http://www.jandekoncorwood.com

      john!

      >From: "Stevo" <stevolende@...>
      >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [thewire] Solaris
      >Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 20:41:01 -0000
      >
      >Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
      >thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the Tarkovsky version in
      >years.
      >
      >Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area overwell.
      >Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
      >Just wondering what other people think of the new version.
      >
      >Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage buildings as sets.
      >(least that's what tose outside shots look like after being on film
      >sites)
      >Is that a holdover from the original?
      >Stevo
      >NP Doors In Concert You make Me real

    • Andrij Kopytko
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2003
        >i watched the credits but did not see any mention of a composer or
        >performer.

        The Solaris soundtrack was composed by Cliff Martinez, who also has
        done soundtracks for The Limey, Traffic, and Sex, Lies & Videotape.
        He's a drummer, I believe.. I think he was in an early line-up of the
        Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things..
      • gradyfinklemyer
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2003
          Soderbergh seems to be getting more pompous and self-important. No!
          Full Frontal isn't smug and pretentious at all! It's a daring
          exploration of film making done with a digital camera. It's
          Soderbergh's entry in the Dogme series. Arf arf. I can't think of a
          more usless movie than Ocean's 11 that I've cringed through recently
          either. I liked seeing George Clooney on Letterman stating that
          Soderbergh "wrote and directed Solaris", with no mention at all made
          of Tarkovsky! I think I'll do a remake of Full Frontal and go on tv
          and tell everyone I wrote and directed it. As far as Soderbergh's
          Solaris goes, I guess some people might enjoy looking at George
          Clooney's ass, but I'm not one of them.

          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
          > Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
          > thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the Tarkovsky version in
          > years.
          >
          > Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area overwell.
          > Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
          > Just wondering what other people think of the new version.
          >
          > Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage buildings as sets.
          > (least that's what tose outside shots look like after being on film
          > sites)
          > Is that a holdover from the original?
          > Stevo
          > NP Doors In Concert You make Me real
        • John Jones
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
            Yeah, agree - haven't actually seen the remake of
            Solaris but surely Soderbergh is the most overrated,
            useless director of the present day. The Limey, for
            christsakes, was a joke (and that ridiculous cockney
            rhyming banter, lord give me a break!). The bloke
            seems to have a reputation for being 'good with
            actors'; oh great. Pity he can't direct for toffee.

            --- gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@...>
            ---------------------------------

            <stevolende@y...> wrote:
            > Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
            > thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the
            Tarkovsky version in
            > years.
            >
            > Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area
            overwell.
            > Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
            > Just wondering what other people think of the new
            version.

            > Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage
            buildings as sets.
            > (least that's what tose outside shots look like
            after being on film
            > sites)
            > Is that a holdover from the original?
            > Stevo
            > NP Doors In Concert You make Me real

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            UNSUBSCRIBE =
            mailto:thewire-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

            Terms of Service.

            http://uk.my.yahoo.com
          • A.S. Van Dorston
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
              Warren Ellis (the Transmetropolitan comic writer, not member of Dirty
              Three) wrote this, which I agree with:

              I like George Clooney.

              No, not like that.

              Clooney's someone who did an awful
              lot of shit before he got where he is
              today. He's been doing a bunch of
              interesting interviews to support
              SOLARIS and CONFESSIONS OF A
              DANGEROUS MIND, and in one of them
              he commented that whenever he
              turns on the TV at 3am, there he is
              in another terrible show, with another
              terrible hair crime. I think only Jean
              Claude Van Damme tops him for
              the visual archive of hair crimes
              committed over the last twenty
              years.

              Once he found himself in a position
              of power on ER -- in a gift of a role
              as the understated maverick who
              could never lose sympathy because
              he saved children's lives -- he started
              pulling stunts. He was instrumental
              in the episode of ER that the cast did
              live, twice in one night -- once for the
              East Coast, once for the West. Then
              he got involved in producing a remake
              of FAIL SAFE as a piece of live
              televisual theatre. Then came film,
              and starting again, doing some shit,
              clearly relearning how to act again,
              because an acting style that's
              charming on TV just dies on film.
              See how often he looks down, in
              those early films, retains cadences
              from TV. Then he hooked up with
              Steven Soderbergh. His head comes
              up, he learns economy and bigness
              at the same time. And in Soderbergh,
              one of America's cleverer risk-takers,
              he seemed to have found someone
              who thought the same way.

              In another recent interview, he lays
              this out. He says that the nature
              of the film beast is that in five or
              ten years, he won't be allowed in
              front of a camera, let alone behind
              it. So he needs to do the things he
              wants to do now, while he's in the
              position of power to make them
              happen. He comments that SOLARIS
              is flopping domestically, though it'll
              probably make most of its money
              back in foreign markets. But that
              doesn't matter. What matters is
              that they did it. The film is there.
              And it is -- I realise this flies against
              the face of all critics everywhere --
              a good film. I always hesitate to
              use the word "emotional" when
              discussing story, as I fear I sound like
              the wreckage of Francis Ford
              Coppola talking shit about the Godfather
              movies in the beginning of his twilight
              years. But SOLARIS has an unmannered,
              mature emotional complexity to it.
              It is, in fact, a Seventies art-film.
              It gets the best performance I've
              ever seen from Natasha McElhone,
              and Clooney is clearly fucking with
              his perceived star persona as the
              chilly, damaged psychiatrist. One
              of the character's friends calls him
              "a nihilist shrink."

              I grabbed the original Soderbergh
              script down from script-o-rama.com,
              and there are some interesting cuts.
              Anything that added to the science-
              fictional tone of the film got cut. It's
              all in the inference in the finished
              film. It's genre deconstruction,
              concentrating on the thing the majority
              of sf doesn't do -- creating a real
              life in the relationships.

              It may not be what anyone wanted
              to see, but it's the film they wanted
              to make.

              At similar peaks, people in Clooney's
              position tend to do things that will
              maintain or crest that peak. Running
              to stand still. There's something
              admirable in someone who says,
              now I'm going to do the things I need
              to do until they kick me off the peak.

              At 09:49 AM 3/6/03 +0000, you wrote:
              >Yeah, agree - haven't actually seen the remake of
              >Solaris but surely Soderbergh is the most overrated,
              >useless director of the present day. The Limey, for
              >christsakes, was a joke (and that ridiculous cockney
              >rhyming banter, lord give me a break!). The bloke
              >seems to have a reputation for being 'good with
              >actors'; oh great. Pity he can't direct for toffee.
            • David Beardsley
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2003
                From: "Andrij Kopytko" <andrij3@...>

                > The Solaris soundtrack was composed by Cliff Martinez, who also has
                > done soundtracks for The Limey, Traffic, and Sex, Lies & Videotape.
                > He's a drummer, I believe.. I think he was in an early line-up of the
                > Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things..

                He was also in Capt. Beefheart's Magic Band - Ice Cream for Crow.

                * David Beardsley
                * microtonal guitar
                * http://biink.com/db
              • dgromfin
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 8, 2003
                  > > He's a drummer, I believe.. I think he was in an early line-up of
                  the Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things..

                  > He was also in Capt. Beefheart's Magic Band - Ice Cream for Crow.

                  And the old school LA punk in me has to remind y'all that he was also
                  in the Weirdos and the Dickies...

                  danny