== Peace Takes A Bullet ==

  • Jonny Shortsheet
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2003
      == Peace Takes A Bullet ==
      In which the Bush Doctrine means never having to say, sorry about all the
      warheads and death
      (By Mark Morford)
      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2003/03/05/notes030503.DTL&nl=fix

      These are the final days of peace in America. Please remember to turn
      off the lights and lock up when you leave.

      These are the last days of relative calm before we start bombing and
      massacring hundreds of thousands of people and in so doing enter into
      what many believe will a very long, drawn-out, insanely expensive,
      volatile, destabilizing, completely unwinnable war against a cheap thug
      of an opponent who has negligible military might and zero capacity to
      actually harm the U.S. in any substantive way. U-S-A! U-S-A!

      This will not be Desert Storm. This will not be quick and painless.
      This will be 3,000 guided missiles launched on the first day of the
      war, 10 times that of Desert Storm, turning Iraq into an instant
      wasteland. This is already a minimum of $200 billion, with an
      additional $50 billion to try and bribe Turkey alone, just to begin
      with. This is total unabashed war gluttony.

      Some estimates put the total cost of this war, when all is said and
      done which it never will be, at $1 trillion. Enjoy that recession, kids
      -- it's gonna be here a while.

      And say good-bye to your sons and daughters, too. Bush's own decorated
      army generals have said this invasion and occupation will require
      hundreds of thousands of American GIs -- quite possibly our entire
      enlisted force, all mobilized to one region, much of it for years to
      come, even after Saddam is ousted -- in an attempt to control and
      stabilize an extremely volatile and irate and terror-ready region. Do
      we know this?

      Oh but there is so much more to it than that. For these are also the
      final days before this country lunges down a wholly new and wickedly
      aggressive path.

      It cannot be understated: Shrub's war marks a momentous shift in our
      society, a huge political and philosophical sea change, as we move from
      a unified coherent defensive posture to an aggressive, roguish,
      preemptive-strike attitude, kill first and ask questions never.

      It is called the Bush Doctrine, a.k.a. Shut the Hell Up You Durn
      Foreigners and Eat Our Might, and it is in flagrant defiance of not
      just the U.N. charter and international law but also every moral and
      philosophical tenet America itself was founded on.

      This is the thing about ultraviolent preemptive attacks on whatever
      petty little nation we choose -- it sort of makes us the world's bully.
      It sort of goes against our fundamental notions of justice and
      fairness.

      We are soon to be the world's only superpower that will attack anyone
      we deem might be a potential threat to our interests, immediate
      provocation notwithstanding, immediate danger irrelevant. This means
      anyone. This means Syria. North Korea. Iran. Anyone. To say this is a
      radical and vicious new twist in American policy is glaring
      understatement. Have we frequently fabricated and inflated our
      justificatins to attack, to go to war? Have we even invented them from
      scratch? Of course. But this takes America's thuggish audacity to an
      entirely new level, one that changes our relationship to the global
      community in a very bleak and desperate manner.

      You think those other countries are sitting idly by, waiting to see
      who's next on America's hit list? Or do you think they're cranking up
      their nuke factories and inciting their terrorist cells and marshaling
      their armies right this minute, for the day when Rummy points his
      crooked little finger their way? Let's ask North Korea. Whoops, too
      late.

      Perhaps we do not understand the weight of this. Perhaps we don't fully
      comprehend how profoundly this shift affects our standing in the world,
      our cultural complexion, our tenuously held respect among our wary
      allies.

      Perhaps we do not understand how much it thoroughly and completely
      annihilates any remaining shred of international compassion or support
      we garnered as a result of 9/11. There is none. Two weeks ago, over 11
      million people in more than 600 cities staged what is now considered
      the biggest anti-war protest in world history, all against Shrub's war.
      No matter.

      America will never be the same, everyone said just after 9/11, and
      meaning it with all their heavy hearts, signifying that America might
      now have to reevaluate its international standing and its aggressive
      foreign policy, might have to reexamine its core values, seriously
      scrutinize capitalism's more dire effects on the world community.

      We had two choices: stop Osama and take measure of our nation's heart,
      its shockingly hate-inducing policies abroad, strengthen our ties with
      allies and the countless other sympathetic nations that were offering
      support and alliance, leverage that bitter sadness into resolve and
      temerity and a new vision of what role our nation plays in the world.

      Or, we could go aggro. Get all Bruce Willis on 'em. Still stop Osama,
      but and then get all macho and war hungry and exterminate everyone we
      deem a potential threat, no matter how remote. War uber alles. This was
      fed to us as the only truly patriotic response. This is where we are
      now. We are told war and aggression was the only possible response. It
      wasn't. It still isn't.

      Here are the words you will never hear from Dubya: We have won the war
      on terror. Never will you hear this, because the battle is, by
      definition, unwinnable; you can't win a war on terror any more than you
      can win the war against racism, or ignorance, or drugs, or cutesy boy
      bands or sunlight. Terrorism is as much a concept as a force, an idea
      as a scattered, well-organized, global network we can't possibly
      pinpoint.

      It is ongoing. It is never-ending. This is the Dubya plan. Perpetual
      war, perpetual fear, perpetual massive profits for a large handful of
      high-powered Bush-friendly CEOs and military contractors and
      petrochemical execs, long after Saddam is gone, especially after Saddam
      is gone. Who's next on the hit list?

      They don't really care. War is at hand. America is about to turn a
      corner, sharp to the right. These are the last days of peace in America
      as you know it. And we will never be the same.

    • trommer
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2003
        here hear...well put.